Quantcast
Help re: negotiating for new MB C300 4MATIC. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help re: negotiating for new MB C300 4MATIC.

Smile Help re: negotiating for new MB C300 4MATIC.

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to get your advice in purchasing a new car! I've been doing my research but I still feel like a deer in headlights.

Model: Mercedes-Benz C 300 4MATIC Avantgarde Sedan (2014)
    Design version: AVANTGARDE Line
    Colour: Tenorite Grey metallic
    Upholstery: Black/Black leather upholstery
    Wheels: 17" 5-Twin-Spoke Wheels
    Transmission: 7G-TRONIC PLUS 7-Speed Automatic Transmission
    Net power/total displacement: 182 kW (248 HP)/3498.0 cc
    Cylinders: 6

Total price: CAD 45,130
    Tenorite Grey metallic CAD 890
    Black/Black leather upholstery CAD 1,990

What do you guys think would be a reasonable/expected amount of discount/ purchase price for the above car in Calgary? It would be a cash purchase. I have heard 3-5k is quite standard for most Japanese cars, but couldn't find much information specific to the car I am looking at.

Also, are there anything specific I should be watching out for?

Knowing little about cars, I am scared I'd come out paying more for the same car and thinking of that for many years every time I see my new car. I am usually one of those people who get convinced into insurances and extended warranties and since this is a large purchase for me, I am trying to be more "informed."

Thank you in advance for anybody who reads/ or responds to my really unintelligent question

Thanks!
    Last edited by leahjd; 04-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.

I don't know what a typical discount for a C class is, but the C-class will be much improved and all new for 2015. Maybe it would be worth waiting a few months until September?

If you wanted the 2014 though I imagine there would be a little extra negotiating room since there is an all new model coming in 5 months and they will want to clear out old stock.

http://driving.ca/mercedes-benz/c-cl...-benz-c-class/
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks Mitsu3000gt,

I liked the 2015 model better (purely based on aesthetics) but I need a car to drive to/from work right away so I am pretty set on the 2014.

Does anybody have a MB dealer in Calgary they would recommend? Also, what would be the maximum price you'd personally pay for the 2014 C300 4MATIC, considering the new model coming out, etc?

Thanks again!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I would rent a car for the next 5 months and wait for the 2015. The car is lightyears ahead of the current model.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Originally posted by leahjd
    Also, what would be the maximum price you'd personally pay for the 2014 C300 4MATIC, considering the new model coming out, etc?

Thanks again!
    The new ones will be so much better, the 2014 would have to be a pretty amazing deal, in my opinion - probably more than the dealer is willing to give. Otherwise I would find other means of transportation for the next few months - cheap car or a rental. I have trouble with the idea of buying a 'new' car when there will be a complete overhaul coming shortly. You will take a higher than normal depreciation hit right off the bat as well.

Some dealers even give you a loaner car while they wait for your new one to come in, not sure if MB does that.

RedDX makes a good point as well, this model run has been around for so long, even a 2014 is like buying an "older" model. Not much point in buying one new, might as well grab a used one in good condition from a few years ago and save a pile of money for the same car.

It will suck waiting, since you're probably excited and you actually need the transportation now, however you will be so glad you waited if you can get into a 2015.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-22-2014 at 03:17 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

What you need help with is coming up with more descriptive thread titles.

Buy a cheap car now and resell later on. Get the 2015 model.
    Otherwise later on in the year when u see someone rocking a 2015 and u notice that u like how it looks much better than ur 2014, and realize it was about the same cost, u will wish that u had waited.

Ur 2014 will depreciate a lot quicker also cuz of the model update.

Since u obviously have the cash, be smart with it

//edit
    If u go against the advice of this thread and get a 2014, go to unhaggle.com and get the report. It will tell u about any factory incentives and dealer costs so u can see what u should be paying
    Last edited by EK69; 04-22-2014 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

D's Nutz is on a roll today.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

What you need help with is coming up with more descriptive thread titles.
    D'z Nutz, you are totally right I had a hard time even trying to come up with what exactly I wanted to ask. It's been updated

Thank you guys all for the advice! I had an ultimatum from the parents that I need to get a car ASAP. I'll keep the C300 in the back of my head and look for similar cars that'd work for me. I naively thought that I could just get the 2014 C300 for a better deal and it'd make up for the fast depreciation, etc. I didn't know that it has been around for 8 years already!

Again, thank you for your time
    Last edited by leahjd; 04-22-2014 at 05:54 PM.

How do you like the new CLA 250? I think Lone Star has few in the show room.. And they are around your price range.

Originally posted by EK69
    Buy a cheap car now and resell later on. Get the 2015 model.
    Otherwise later on in the year when u see someone rocking a 2015 and u notice that u like how it looks much better than ur 2014, and realize it was about the same cost, u will wish that u had waited.

Ur 2014 will depreciate a lot quicker also cuz of the model update.

Since u obviously have the cash, be smart with it

//edit
    If u go against the advice of this thread and get a 2014, go to unhaggle.com and get the report. It will tell u about any factory incentives and dealer costs so u can see what u should be paying
    Pretty much the best advice you can get. It sucks having to wait when you have a car picked out already - but considering you will probably keep the car for a few years, the smart financial decision would be to hold off and get the 2015. Sometimes emotion over-rule smart financial decisions though

In the end, if you're truly happy with the 2014, then go for it... but negotiate a killer deal. Not sure if you can get $7k off, but unhaggle.com is pretty good for telling you what you should expect to pay for a good deal. I think first few reports are free...

Remember though you won't get a good discount on the new 2015 till at least a few months after the inventory for the dealers levels out. Everyone claims to be sold out of new re-designs for the first few months and in some cases, the wait can be long - which leads to some people ordering early - but you usually don't get as much of a discount when you pre-order I believe.

BTW - the 2015 looks light years ahead of the 2014.

How do you like the new CLA 250
    My friend just got one and I heard that the interior is similar to what the new C300 should look like. It's a really nice car but I think I am looking for something more. I was originally interested in the C350 but C350 4MATIC at 57k was a little more than my budget (50k max). I am now also considering AWD drive versions of Audi A4, Infinity Q50, Volkswagen Tiguan, Honda CRV, etc.

As mentioned before, I really have no clue what is "good" or "better" as most of my guy friends all seem to have really differing opinions, usually favouring some form of the BMW 3 series.

Really really thanks for the replies!

Originally posted by avishal26

Pretty much the best advice you can get. It sucks having to wait when you have a car picked out already - but considering you will probably keep the car for a few years, the smart financial decision would be to hold off and get the 2015. Sometimes emotion over-rule smart financial decisions though

In the end, if you're truly happy with the 2014, then go for it... but negotiate a killer deal. Not sure if you can get $7k off, but unhaggle.com is pretty good for telling you what you should expect to pay for a good deal. I think first few reports are free...

Remember though you won't get a good discount on the new 2015 till at least a few months after the inventory for the dealers levels out. Everyone claims to be sold out of new re-designs for the first few months and in some cases, the wait can be long - which leads to some people ordering early - but you usually don't get as much of a discount when you pre-order I believe.

BTW - the 2015 looks light years ahead of the 2014.
    I really agree that if I do get the C300, I should wait for the 2015 model. I assumed away in thinking that the current model has been around for 3-5 years max.

I've been putting off getting a car for awhile so I think it's time to actually get out and test drive different makes and models to see what else is out there. I have a feeling I may be indecisive enough that the new C300 will be available by the time I decide to sign for it.

Not sure if it's just me but... buying a car really feels like adopting a puppy. I need to be emotionally comfortable with it and it requires consistent cash outflow following the purchase

Really thanks!
    Last edited by leahjd; 04-22-2014 at 09:04 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The new C class will look nothing like the CLA. In fact, the new C class is nicer than the current E class.

Originally posted by leahjd

.... I am now also considering AWD drive versions of Audi A4, Infinity Q50, Volkswagen Tiguan, Honda CRV, etc.
    I just had a Q50 AWD non sport model for a service loaner the other day and it is a great car.

Not saying its comparable to a C300 - thats a whole another thread, but for under $50k max you can get a Q50 AWD and Nav with cash to spare. The only thing that put me off from the Q50 was the relatively slow software for both touch screens... my QX60 that doesn't have the second touch screen has much much faster response time for navi and for controlling audio/climate.

The Q50 does have cool features like showing you G-forces, fuel flow, etc. while driving Needless to say I drove all around town on off-ramps and roundabouts
    It drives great and has lots of power for the size. The non AWD version starts at $37k

My Ride
    Bicycle

If anything like Audi A4, they should have tons of discount to clear out existing stock as both 2014 models are going into 7th and 8th model year on the current platform.

For A4, you can get $3k off without even asking.

The key here is you must pick a landed unit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The new C class interior is as nice as my CLS. Expect it to go up in price though so keep that in mind if you really want the new model.

It's still too early to get discounts on 2014 models. Calgary dealers doesn't really discount new current year MBs until at least August. The Avantgarde package already rolls in tons of options with a discount from individual package and options prices. You can try to find a new 2013 in stock which should get a decent discount but it'll probably be close in price to the 2014 Avantgarde.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I know you said you were a cash buyer but ever consider a one year lease? This will get you your new car now and you can return it for a 2015 in a year. No clue what the financials look like but it probably won't be as bad as the depreciation on a model that is being replaced.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

1 year lease is the worst financial decision you can make. You're literally paying the entire off the lot depreciation and giving money away to the next owner lol.

edit - 24 months is the min. lease for MBFS.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast