Quantcast
Calgary Comic Con 2014 thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Comic Con 2014 thread

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Originally posted by flipstah

I'm gonna look for Initial D artwork/merch if that exists there.
    I didn't see any in my wanderings today, however I only got about 1/2 the Con floor done.

I have two of my commissions already going, I have half my books signed, and I think I have all the prints I must have (apart from the Dodson's), and can peruse for the "ooo shiny!" ones that grab my eyes

Not many costumes out and about for preview night, not many pictures taken. However, I did take the opportunity to hunt down and obtain my Con grail: Witchblade #1 in 8.0 or better condition (I think the one I got would easily score a 9.2 or better)

For a preview night, I think it was a stellar idea. No huge crowds yet, the line for Scott Campbell was only 10 minutes long, and I got to spend a good time chatting with my buddies at Aspen MLT (Peter and Frank are awesome guys to chat about comics and all things Witchblade, Magdalene, Fathom, Soulfire, etc).

Looking forwards to the Dodson's tomorrow, and the three panels I want to attend

EDIT: A picture!

My big geekout of the day, J Scott Campbell signing my two retailer incentive Fathom and Soulfire issues

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 04-24-2014 at 10:48 PM.
    Geek

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Man I hope J Scott Campbell doesnt charge an arm and leg for his head sketches
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I had a great time though so far it isn't as good as last year.

My main concern this year was third party Transformers, mainly Fans Project stuff. Way in the back corner I stopped at a booth with lots of Transformers and down on the bottom shelf I noticed a Generations Metroplex. These were in Toys 'R Us for $150 a month or two ago and I thought the price was too high so I passed but I figured if they're cheap enough here I might get one. Then I saw the price tag and it was only $85, I was amazed, someone must have gotten the price wrong. Then I pulled it out and realized it's the Takara version from Japan, this one actually speaks phrases when you push the button, unlike the one Canada got which just does the transformation noise. Since they didn't record anything in French, Canada removed all the phrases completely. So I got the better Takara version which goes for $200 online and it's only $85, someone really fucked up the price on this one. I bought it immediately.

On my way to the car I had 5 people stop me and ask if I actually only paid $85 for it and when I told one guy where I got it, he ran in the direction I pointed. People were freaking out I got it so cheap.

I also picked up a Generations Blitzwing because I missed them when they were on shelves and I got the Fans Project toy I wanted, Smart Robin. It's an updated version of the 1987 Transformer Headmaster Brainstorm. Smart Robin is an anagram of Brainstorm.

Last year when I went, I saw a print by a guy from California of a nude woman with large black angel wings and I regretted not buying it ever since. I've been looking online for the print for the last year and today I saw him at the expo again, with the same print. I had to have it, I think it's amazing. It's 11x17.

I also got some miscellaneous Transformers to upgrade some from my collection but nothing major.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    North Korean

jessica nigri was supposed to be there, did some searching n couldnt find her, on the other hand, J Scott Campbells lineup was huge... lol

Originally posted by bowlofrice
    jessica nigri was supposed to be there, did some searching n couldnt find her, on the other hand, J Scott Campbells lineup was huge... lol
    she arrived late, but her booth is in the big four building

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by mac_82

Who's on top of your list?

Cyanide + Happiness, J Scott Campbell, Fiona Staples, Max Brooks and RL Stine are on my wish list.
    Bruce Campbell (Ash from Evil Dead):

Alfonso Rebeiro (Carlton from Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air):

George Romero (If you don't know whom he is, go watch Night Of The Living Dead):

And Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad):

Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

My main objective today is to try to land one of the coveted five commission spots from Terry Dodson. Up there with Chris Bachalo as one of my favorite X-Men cover artists (and Bachalo also does interiors, but is not at this con In fact, Bachalo rarely goes to Cons T_T)

After that, commission of Kiani (Fathom) from Siya Oum at Aspen, and then, if I don't land a Dodson commission, probably go comic book hunting for X-Men 138 through 143 (Days of Future Past arc, even though only 140 and 141 are the "official" books)

EDIT: Still geeked-as-fuck out of my MIND that I was able to get my grail book on preview night, in 9.0+ condition XD

click for larger version
    Last edited by Vagabond142; 04-25-2014 at 09:05 AM.
    Geek

I just said hi to Felicia Day on the street
    Originally posted by R!zz0
    Did Calgary have a riot in 2004?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Just boobs. That's how we party.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by SilverGS
    I just said hi to Felicia Day on the street

!!!!! nice! Is she as pretty in real life? lol

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Line is muuuuuuuuch longer today than last night xD still, at least it's not snowing this year o.o
    Geek

My Ride
    impreza

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    probably go comic book hunting for X-Men 138 through 143 (Days of Future Past arc, even though only 140 and 141 are the "official" books)
    I saw those books at almost every vendor I walked past selling comics yesterday.

Interesting fact: most expensive comic book I saw for sale was $40k.

My Ride
    North Korean

Originally posted by BigDannyCool

she arrived late, but her booth is in the big four building

hrmm, i was in the big four last, saw, monika lee, the other girl and nigris empty booth. left at about 730 lol

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Saw the parade on Stephen ave from my office, could still make out the costumes though. Looked like a blast.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Canmorite
    Saw the parade on Stephen ave from my office, could still make out the costumes though. Looked like a blast.
    Here's an image gallery from the parade, looks like it was a fun event!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Okay, for those asking (i've had multiple PMs, so I will centralize it here):

-J Scott Campbell takes 5 commissions at the start of the day, and quotes a price based on what you request (1 character bust, 2 character action poses, etc). You need to be at his booth within the first hour to have your name entered for a possible commission. They draw names from a hat so it IS completely random.

-J Scott Campbll has a HUGE line. Book at least 30-40 minutes if you're there in the first hour of the day, 20-30 thereafter. Also, first signature is free, every one after is $5 (this is to discourage people bringing entire boxes of comics, honestly. I had two books done at $5, happy as a clam )

-Cyanide and Happiness do sketches based on how much of their stuff you buy. Postcard sized for $30, 8x11 for $40, and a full legal size for $60

-The Tower of T-Shirts does take Visa, Mastercard, and Debit. Fairly be your wallet warned.

-Saturday is **THE** busiest day of the con. If you don't feel like walking a kilometer or more to your car, arrive at least an hour early and park on the stampede grounds. Also, the line is C-O-L-D! Wear appropriate clothing, it is supposed to drizzle and be ~4 C tomorrow morning betwen 8-10 AM.

As to today:

Did my usual second day peruse, checking out the booths I didn't get to yesterday. Lots of local artists in artist's alley doing sketches and such for between $20-$40 on average. To mount a small soapbox here: Support local talent. Talk to people, get to know them, chat about your favorite bits of their art and why you like it. Geeks are naturally shy people, but once we connect on something, floodgates open.

I saw lots of great cosplay today, but bugger me sideways not being used to taking pictures or asking people if I have their permission (always ask, it's polite and it's also the rule this year), I was only able to get Masters of the Universe group (He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra), CyberSix (bonus points to people that know what that is), and the Borderlands group, which ended up a fuzzy picture because my flash wasn't up :/

I did make it onto Terry Dodson's sketch shortlist Basically, if he has room for one or two more sketches on Sunday, I'm a guaranteed slot

Also, I lucked into the Lord of the Rings Exposed thing... friend had a ticket, couldn't go, so gave it to me. Amazing 2+ hours, including improv comedy from a couple of elves, Manu Bennett storming onto the stage like Asog and fighting one of the dwarf actors, Mark Hadlow humping EVERYONE'S leg (I am not kidding), and the dwarves singing Misty Mountain, Billy Boyd singing Home is Behind, and a guy that won a radio contest getting made up as an orc.

Anyways, sleep time, I am up early tomorrow o_O
    Geek

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

I got my World War Z zombie guide signed today by Max Brooks. Had a nice chat with Gus Fring about golf and the wifey got a kiss from Manu Bennett at the photo op, I was one of the first through the door and last out tonight as Katie Cassidy didn't get her photo op going until after 8, still didn't get enough time to check out the stuff I wanted.

My Ride
    Some kind of Audi

Originally posted by Vagabond142
    My main objective today is to try to land one of the coveted five commission spots from Terry Dodson. Up there with Chris Bachalo as one of my favorite X-Men cover artists (and Bachalo also does interiors, but is not at this con In fact, Bachalo rarely goes to Cons T_T)

After that, commission of Kiani (Fathom) from Siya Oum at Aspen, and then, if I don't land a Dodson commission, probably go comic book hunting for X-Men 138 through 143 (Days of Future Past arc, even though only 140 and 141 are the "official" books)

EDIT: Still geeked-as-fuck out of my MIND that I was able to get my grail book on preview night, in 9.0+ condition XD

click for larger version
    141 and 142 are actually the two books containing the days of future past story line.

My Ride
    Car

Just for planning sake...is there a beer garden there?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What's the rules surrounding this event and taking photos? I'm not into comics but the costumes seem really well done!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Multipass...

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast