High-Beaming Slow Moving Cars in Left Lane - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: High-Beaming Slow Moving Cars in Left Lane

Default High-Beaming Slow Moving Cars in Left Lane

just wondering if

A) this is illegal
    B) douchey
    C) A and B
    D) completely fine, slow drivers in the "fast" lane need to know move over to the appropriate lane

I noticed in some european countries, this is the norm whenever someone is slow in the passing lane but I'm sure if doing that here (Calgary/Canada) is looked down upon or worse, against the law.

I figure the members of beyond will know and have an opinion.

Note: I actually don't do this, but have considered it several times.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I do it on the highway if I can't get past them in the right lane and there's clearly no one in the left lane in front of them, usually it works and they move over. I hate Chinese roadblocks.

Otherwise I don't.

My Ride
    is wild

Depends, do you understand where in Calgary that the left lane is considered to be the fast lane. Because most everyone has no clue.

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I do it of someone is being particularly ignorant.

He'll my GTI had a set of headlines used exclusively for flashing (separate from highs and drls).

People usually get really pissed but whatever. They need to learn to be aware of people around them.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I do it if they stay there for 20+ seconds when there is clearly room in the right lane for them to move to.

i don't like to fly by on the right, since these slow-left-lane people obviously ignorant drivers they probably don't shoulder check either.

And yes people always get mad if you do this. I had some work van on glenmore by chinook going 70 brake check me.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Only on my bike, and 75% of the time they move over which is great.

Only if it's very obvious though.. 50 car lengths of space ahead of them and they're doing 105 or something and everyone else doing 110, with nobody to their right.

Usually just a flick or two - if they don't get it I'll pass on the right and just stare at them once I get in front lol.

Don't do it in my car though.. because I don't really care much about getting to work faster haha
    But when it's only 0 in the morning my ass is cold hahaha

Originally posted by m10-power
    Depends, do you understand where in Calgary that the left lane is considered to be the fast lane. Because most everyone has no clue.
    this is true.

my general rule of thumb is:

it applies when you when there are no exits on the left lane and the only way to exit/enter the roadway is through an exit on the right hand side.

i'll admit, that most calgarians probably don't abide by this, but i think it should apply to roads like deerfoot and stoney obviously, and crowchild from the city limits until the university. also parts of glenmore as well.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I remember being pulled over in high school for flashing my brights at the truck ahead of me. (Truck was being driven by my friend and I wanted him to pull down a side street so we could talk.)

Cop told us flicking your brights is considered stunting.

Nevertheless, I still do it to this day, especially to get people out of the left lane. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Those people probably can't figure out why I am flashing my brights at them.

Doing it at night is a different story. It definitely catches the others drivers attention, but I hate blinding people... but I guess if it does the job...
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Trucks

Question for everyone, you are in the left lane and being held up by a vehicle in front of you. Somebody approaches from behind and flashes their headlights at you like a douche nozzle. Do you stay put, cursing out the guy ahead of you and call him an assh*le, or pull over into traffic doing 10kph slower to stop the guy behind you from cursing you out and calling you an assh*le? I absolutely guarantee someone flashing their headlights is too self centred to let someone pass them and have to slow down.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Hi beams are for noobs, LED bars are the new flashing thing.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I do it, quite often. Usually it is for the idiots doing 10-15 under the limit and I am close enough behind that they should be questioning why I am there...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by faiz999

this is true.

my general rule of thumb is:

it applies when you when there are no exits on the left lane and the only way to exit/enter the roadway is through an exit on the right hand side.

i'll admit, that most calgarians probably don't abide by this, but i think it should apply to roads like deerfoot and stoney obviously, and crowchild from the city limits until the university. also parts of glenmore as well.
    Only when the sign is posted, you will notice they no longer are on the vast majority of deerfoot trail

And your rule of thumb is incorrect but a common mistake which leads to people flashing their lights at people on crowfoot or mcleod which are not slower traffic keep right zones. I would think the only place in Calgary would be the ring road.

keep right signage

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

My Ride
    Hatred

Originally posted by FraserB
    Hi beams are for noobs, LED bars are the new flashing thing.
    -U

Originally posted by spikerS
    I do it, quite often. Usually it is for the idiots doing 10-15 under the limit and I am close enough behind that they should be questioning why I am there...
    This is what I do.

But now after reading this thread I'm questioning myself because of the fact that the Move Over to the Right sign is no longer on Deerfoot within city limits It should still apply in my opinion.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

It's common courtesy to let traffic flow, rule or no rule. What's the point of staying in the left lane unless you are passing on roads like Glenmore and Crowchild? Ok may be potholes.

That's like a bunch of people walking shoulder to shoulder taking the whole width of the sidewalk, there is no law against that as far as I know. Being a jerk is legal.

To answer the question, no I don't bother doing anything anymore. Eventually they get it and move over or I wait for a space to go around them on the right.

Outside the city though, it's open season for highbeam.

How's flashing highbeam stunting? How about a sustained high beam then?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago after flashing a Yaris on deerfoot northbound and ripping ahead after being frustrated. It was a sergeant and he gave me a warning about my speed (120 and it was snowing sideways) he didnt say a damned thing about my flash to pass haha.

I make my presence felt long before I flash. I'm usually in the ditch with both my headlights in their side mirror so they notice me.

Some people react poorly to the flash and try to stay in their lane spitefully. Trucks especially.

Note: Blue projectors in the mirror MAY be a limited explorer cop. I ignored them and got lucky
    Last edited by AE92_TreunoSC; 04-24-2014 at 07:37 PM.

My Ride
    growls

If you go check my most recent post in the carcam bad drivers thread, I have someone shaking their finger at me after they suddenly let off the gas and deccelerate to 100 from 120.

I also noticed people seem to think my vehicles have electrical problems with the lights or something, don't know what else it could be other than oblivion.

Person driving with no tail lights when it's dark out. High beam flicker or I visibly get in front or behind and turn my lights off completely then back on and they don't seem the catch on. Or high beaming people with highbeams on and still don't catch on to turn them off.

Damn electrical problems I guess.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

Some people react poorly to the flash and try to stay in their lane spitefully. Trucks especially.
    I have been brake checked once when I flashed someone to get out of the way with no one around in the right lane....

My Ride
    something green

The only effect it has on traffic on the 2a north of out of Okotoks, is the left lane self appointed traffic police will slow down from 98 to 91, then when you change to the right lane they speed back up to 98 to rejoin the parade.
    Too loud for Aspen

People are just stupid. I got brake checked for following 2 car lengths on 10th st going towards northmount. This guy was also going 40 in a 50

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast