Quantcast
Motorist kills cyclist... sues victims estate for 7 figures. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorist kills cyclist... sues victims estate for 7 figures.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Motorist kills cyclist... sues victims estate for 7 figures.

As astonishing evidence of the raw appeal of the robes of victimhood, the female motorist who struck and killed a teenage cyclist 18 months ago is now suing the estate of the dead boy for more than $1-million.

According to a statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court last December by the woman’s lawyer, Sharlene Simon “has sustained and will sustain great pain and suffering,” including “a severe shock to her system” as a result of the crash.

“…her enjoyment of life has been and will be lessened,” the document says.

Also named in the $1.35-million suit are two other boys who were with Brandon Majewski when Ms. Simon’s Kia Sorrento hit the trio, and the County of Simcoe, responsible for maintenance of Innisfil Beach Road in the town of Innisfil, about 80 kilometres north of Toronto.

Brandon was 17 when, with his 16-year-old friends Richard McLean and Jake Roberts, the trio decided to cycle to a coffee shop late one fall Saturday night.

‘Her enjoyment of life has been and will be lessened’
    They were returning to their homes about 1:30 a.m. on Oct. 28, 2012, riding abreast along the two-lane paved rural road, when they were hit from behind by Ms. Simon’s black SUV.

Brandon took the brunt of the impact, and was thrown over the roof of the car; he was barely alive when paramedics arrived, and despite vigorous efforts at resuscitation, was pronounced dead about two hours later at the Royal Victoria Health Centre in Barrie.

Richard’s bike was struck simultaneously, and he was later transferred to St. Michael’s Hospital in downtown Toronto, where he spent weeks recovering from his injuries. The third boy, Jake, was knocked off his bike, but wasn’t seriously hurt.

A collision reconstruction team from the South Simcoe Police Service investigated the crash; their 26-page report found that the “lack of visibility” of the cyclists “was the largest contributing factor,” and that on a dark overcast night, “the driver of the Kia did not see the cyclists on the roadway and was unable to make an evasive reaction.”

The report says police consulted with a local Crown prosecutor, who told them there was “absolutely no reasonable prospect of conviction and that no charges should be laid.”

But Brandon’s father, Derek Majewski, was gobsmacked this week when he walked out of his lawyer Brian Cameron’s office having just learned that, as he put it, “my dead son and the boys are being sued by the woman that killed him because she is distraught.

“Normally, I would not react like this,” he told Postmedia in an email, “but I think it’s very cruel.”

The death of their bright and popular son shattered the Majewski family, he said in a phone interview, voice growing thick with emotion. About six months after Brandon’s death, his older brother Devon, who had taken Brandon’s death particularly hard, died in his sleep from a combination of pharmaceuticals and alcohol.

‘Normally, I would not react like this,” he told Postmedia in an email, “but I think it’s very cruel’
    Mr. Majewski and his ex-wife, Venetta Mlynczyk, have lingering questions about the quality of the investigation.

They particularly believe that the boys were blamed for the accident that killed Brandon — that it was their fault because only two of the bikes had what the police called “minimal reflectors,” because they were riding abreast, because their clothing was dark, albeit with reflectors, because they weren’t wearing helmets.

As Mr. Majewski put it, “They’re kids; they’re allowed to make a mistake.”

Ms. Mlynczyk later complained to the Office of the Independent Police Review Director — she alleged that one of the investigators from South Simcoe was friends with Ms. Simon’s husband, Jules Simon, and, in essence, that the investigation was mismanaged or biased.

That complaint was referred back to the South Simcoe force for investigation, and in a September 2013, report, the review concluded that the allegation of discreditable conduct against the officer was unsubstantiated and that the original probe was thorough.

Mr. Majewski remains concerned that the force investigated itself, and said he had expected that an outside force, such as the Ontario Provincial Police, would have been asked to handle it.

The South Simcoe review also addressed a number of the mother’s other concerns, many of which appeared to have sprung from town rumours.

One such was that Ms. Simon’s husband, Jules, was a member of the South Simcoe force, but as the report to Brandon’s mother said, in fact he is an officer with York Regional Police who had never met the investigator from Simcoe before.

The report also confirmed that Ms. Simon, who acknowledged driving at about 90 k.p.h., above the 80 k.p.h. limit, wasn’t required to take a breathalyzer test because there were “no grounds to request” one. A roadside screening device was administered “out of an abundance for caution,” the report said, and registered “zero alcohol content in her blood system.”

‘They’re kids; they’re allowed to make a mistake’
    That report didn’t address what Mr. Majewski says South Simcoe police told him – that Ms. Simon’s husband had been following her home on the night in question.

Mr. Simon didn’t respond to an email sent to his York Regional email address, nor did Ms. Simon’s lawyer, Michael Ellis, reply to a voicemail message.

Mr. Majewski, Ms. Mlynczyk, their new partners and their children are also suing Mr. and Mrs. Simon and Simcoe County for a total of $900,000. Their suit alleges Ms. Simon was speeding, under the influence or texting at the time of the accident, and that Mr. Simon allowed her to drive the SUV when “he knew or ought to have known” she was in no condition to do so.

None of the claims in either suit has been tested or proved.

However, the Majewski-Mlynczyk statement of claim, filed last March, is much more the norm: Whatever else, it is their son who was killed.

But now Ms. Simon, her husband and mother and her three children are suing Brandon’s estate and the boys who were with him that night.

After all, as Ms. Simon’s statement of claim says, “Her enjoyment of life has been irretrievably lessened…,” though not as much, say, as was Brandon’s.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...and-suffering/
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

And then the other family is suing the driver for being under the influence or texting at the time of the accident when there was no evidence of such thing.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

The report also confirmed that Ms. Simon, who acknowledged driving at about 90 k.p.h., above the 80 k.p.h. limit, wasn’t required to take a breathalyzer test because there were “no grounds to request” one. A roadside screening device was administered “out of an abundance for caution,” the report said, and registered “zero alcohol content in her blood system.”
    What roadside test was administered if there was no breathalyzer?

This seems like it was written by a friend of the dead kid, the important facts are totally ignored or glossed over to make a sad emotion driven piece that soccer moms and facebook readers everywhere will weep over.
    Whose lawsuit was launched first??? That's the most important thing if you want to vilify these people, for all we know the dead kids family sued first and this was the response from the lawyer. That's how it works.

I have always thought there should be charges laid when someone hits pedestrians jaywalking or bikers breaking the law. they seem to get off easy (well aside from being hit by a car) and I would think they should be responsible for damages.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by GTS4tw

I have always thought there should be charges laid when someone hits pedestrians jaywalking or bikers breaking the law. they seem to get off easy (well aside from being hit by a car) and I would think they should be responsible for damages.
    She wasn't required to take a breathalyzer, but they administered one in order to err on the side of caution.

AFAIK in Alberta, the damage would be covered under the motorist's insurance and they would not see an increase as the insurance company would subrogate against the at fault pedestrian or cyclist. Assuming they were found to have caused the accident.

It also brings up a huge issue on how blame would be assigned and what would be considered to be reasonable actions to avoid the accident. My opinion is that the driver has an obligation to minimize potential harm to people and property. If this means hitting a jaywalking pedestrian and not swerving into oncoming traffic, then in my eyes that would be a reasonable course of action.

Anyone know if there is actual legal precedent that clarifies reasonable actions in cases like this?
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-25-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

She probably has a case unfortunately. I assume there are traffic laws about use of reflectors etc on bikes that use the road. Hell even bells are legally required. Riding your bike in pitch black at night without reflectors is probably a pretty dumb move. I'm not trying to take a side but her lawyer seems to have a good case...

Not to mention riding 3 abreast on a road is actually illegal.

These are all laws that everyone has broken but unfortunate exist for a reason.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by FraserB

She wasn't required to take a breathalyzer, but they administered one in order to err on the side of caution.

AFAIK in Alberta, the damage would be covered under the motorist's insurance and they would not see an increase as the insurance company would subrogate against the at fault pedestrian or cyclist. Assuming they were found to have caused the accident.
    Hmm good to know, i kind of figured they just got away with it since you never really hear much about it after the initial news story. A friend of mine hit a teenager who ran out into traffic and it fucked his car up good, broke the window and dented the hood. i never did ask how it was handled insurance wise though.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by GTS4tw

This seems like it was written by a friend of the dead kid, the important facts are totally ignored or glossed over to make a sad emotion driven piece that soccer moms and facebook readers everywhere will weep over.
    Whose lawsuit was launched first??? That's the most important thing if you want to vilify these people, for all we know the dead kids family sued first and this was the response from the lawyer. That's how it works.

Yah, this is quite the article. I heard this story on the radio and googled it to get more facts. Now that I see them, my feeling about it is a little different. They are certainly going for emotion here. But if the police report is to be believed, then it would seem that the cyclists were in the wrong (or at least the catalyst for the collision). It's an interesting case, thats for sure.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    S14|TB1

idk, it may not have been her fault and the kids were riding in a not so safe formation, but needing $1 million+ because you are distraught that you killed a kid on a bicycle seems ridiculous, 'I need money because it will take away the grief and the nightmares'

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by killramos
    She probably has a case unfortunately. I assume there are traffic laws about use of reflectors etc on bikes that use the road. Hell even bells are legally required. Riding your bike in pitch black at night without reflectors is probably a pretty dumb move. I'm not trying to take a side but her lawyer seems to have a good case...

Not to mention riding 3 abreast on a road is actually illegal.

These are all laws that everyone has broken but unfortunate exist for a reason.
    You can try to sue anyone for anything in Canada, but that doesn't mean that you'll actually get anywhere.

Also, IMO, even if this is a counter-sue situation, I think it's pretty scummy, and punitive damages in Canada are pretty rare.. thank god. I seem to recall they're capped at 600k federally too.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

'merica... no wait.... n'taria.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by n1zm0
    idk, it may not have been her fault and the kids were riding in a not so safe formation, but needing $1 million+ because you are distraught that you killed a kid on a bicycle seems ridiculous, 'I need money because it will take away the grief and the nightmares'
    This tops the chart in first world problems for me.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by FraserB

It also brings up a huge issue on how blame would be assigned and what would be considered to be reasonable actions to avoid the accident. My opinion is that the driver has an obligation to minimize potential harm to people and property. If this means hitting a jaywalking pedestrian and not swerving into oncoming traffic, then in my eyes that would be a reasonable course of action.

Anyone know if there is actual legal precedent that clarifies reasonable actions in cases like this?
    This case reminds me of a near miss I had in the fall of 2011. I was driving on Highway 12 at the very end of September around 10:45pm. Pretty damn dark out. I was heading to Stettler and this guy RUNS out in front of me. I just so happened to be looking at my clock when he was running out. I look up and there he is right in front of me and I'm still cruising at about 115 kph. I just instantly swerved to the left and went around him. I went back and asked him WTF he was thinking. Turned out he was riding his pedal bike from Red Deer to Stettler to meet a woman. He had no reflectors, no light, no reflective clothing. Nothing. He literally came from out of nowhere.

I wonder what would have happened if I swerved and had a head on into semi. Would the cyclist be held accountable for causing it?

It scared the living shit out of me. I can't describe how bad the situation was. Had I looked at my clock for half a second longer, he would have been a smear on the highway for sure. Guy was a fuckin lunatic for doing that. I still can't figure out why he was on that section of highway if he was going from RD to Stettler though.

Happened right here. Dunno how to get streetview so you will need to drag and drop the little guy onto the highway.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@52.35569...5418,17z?hl=en
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

If it had been a moose standing in the road, or a drunk guy stumbling home, how is it different? She was over-driving her headlights. Insurance covers the vehicle damage, again, just like a deer. She has no case. It's not like the kids flew out of a side street right in front of her with no chance to stop.

Just imagine the lawsuits against estates of people that suicide in front of trucks/trains etc. Your older brother jumps in front of a train and then your family gets sued into bankruptcy for it? I think not.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    W204

There are frivolous lawsuits but I think this one has merits. Your kid did stupid shit, paid the ultimate price, and dragged down others with him.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    You Crazy

What as wrong with her headlights? Dirty? Not on?

Bullshit.

reading that article made me shudder with anger and hatrid.

what a heartless cunt

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Khyron
    If it had been a moose standing in the road, or a drunk guy stumbling home, how is it different? She was over-driving her headlights. Insurance covers the vehicle damage, again, just like a deer. She has no case. It's not like the kids flew out of a side street right in front of her with no chance to stop.

Just imagine the lawsuits against estates of people that suicide in front of trucks/trains etc. Your older brother jumps in front of a train and then your family gets sued into bankruptcy for it? I think not.
    I thought that rail companies have sued or done something regarding people being hit by trains, on foot or in a car, accidental or intentional.

I could be wrong tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Khyron
    If it had been a moose standing in the road, how is it different?
    Because a Moose is an animal. You can't sue animals.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    reading that article made me shudder with anger and hatrid.

what a heartless cunt
    Then both lawsuits are frivolous. She is suing for nebulous damages and the other party is fabricating things up to try and support their claims.

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

I thought that rail companies have sued or done something regarding people being hit by trains, on foot or in a car, accidental or intentional.

I could be wrong tho.
    Calgary Transit pursues costs related to train accidents involving members of the public who are at fault. Train damage and incurred costs are recovered with a high degree of success. Mind you, they do pick and choose the cases they play hard ball on.

Wouldn't be surprised if CN and CP do the same.
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-25-2014 at 11:56 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast