Quantcast
What is the deal with crews running fibre optic inner city (forest/radison heights) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the deal with crews running fibre optic inner city (forest/radison heights)

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Default What is the deal with crews running fibre optic inner city (forest/radison heights)

Noticed them along the telus lines in rear lanes , is this to serve data to customers or just convert fibre to to copper at the pole instead at the Central office?

Last edited by thetransporter; 04-30-2014 at 09:42 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

They ran those in my area and 2 weeks later fiber to the home was available in my house, so guessing it's probably something similar. In my area I always had the fiber to the house, but the street boxes were not hooked up, and then telus was all over my hood dropping fiber lines and connecting the boxes, up until that point I was on copper internet service.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by eblend
    They ran those in my area and 2 weeks later fiber to the home was available in my house, so guessing it's probably something similar. In my area I always had the fiber to the house, but the street boxes were not hooked up, and then telus was all over my hood dropping fiber lines and connecting the boxes, up until that point I was on copper internet service.
    I noticed them lines at my rental home in penbrooke med., I called TELUS they said No Fibre - this was in 2004 - I asked again in 2012 they said no FTH

So will they bring them to home?

http://www.telus.com/en/ab/internet/

is that the site to check? i have tried even Aurburn Bay address never says anything about fibre ..
    Last edited by thetransporter; 04-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.

A company running a fiber optic cable down an alley doesn't necessarily mean everyone's going to be getting a FTH drop - TELUS ran a fiber cable down our alley some 5+ years ago and it's sole purpose was to connect/feed into the local CBE school. Part of a GOA project if my memory serves me correctly.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by thetransporter

I noticed them lines at my rental home in penbrooke med., I called TELUS they said No Fibre - this was in 2004 - I asked again in 2012 they said no FTH

is that the site to check? i have tried even Aurburn Bay address never says anything about fibre ..
    Could be Shaw.

They're doing some cools things after their acquisition of Enmax's fiber network. Back a month after they purchased it, I had a couple customers that were eligible for Shaw FTTH. I had one customer pull the trigger, they LOVE it.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride

Originally posted by thetransporter

I don't think you can check for fiber on their site, have to call them and tell them you want fiber specifically, it's a whole different department.

Unless you have a conduit in place, they won't bring fiber to homes that don't have it already. My parents bought a new place in Silverado, fiber is all they have, no copper at all. My house has direct buried fiber and copper (one one cable) but the street boxes were not connected until last summer, at which point I could get fiber at home. My parents have telus fiber as well.

Loving my whole telus internet/optic tv setup

Telus came by my GF's place while I was there soliciting their "Fiber to the Home" service. It was a joke. The guy said speeds "up to" 50 Mbps or so. He also said it wouldn't be guaranteed, but that it "could get that high".

Seemed pretty bad considering Shaw has BB100 and BB250 over the cable

My Ride

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Telus came by my GF's place while I was there soliciting their "Fiber to the Home" service. It was a joke. The guy said speeds "up to" 50 Mbps or so. He also said it wouldn't be guaranteed, but that it "could get that high".

Seemed pretty bad considering Shaw has BB100 and BB250 over the cable
    Up to is what everyone says, shaw says up to 100 or up to 250, not often it hits that if ever.

On telus on a 50mbps plan you get 15mbps up, on shaw on the same plan you only get 3mbps, so that's pretty significant to some, like myself so uploads lot's of pictures and videos online, hell I even stream HD movies at my parents place over VPN.

Telus does have a 100mbps plan now as well, not advertised yet, but they could easily push it higher, the problem is not the lines, its the distribution, they simply don't have the gear yet that can handle a whole neighborhood that can run gigabit. Regardless, not a shaw vs telus thread.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm able to hit 250 on shaw any time of day. Just depends on your area, and usage patterns of people in your area for both providers.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Telus does have a 100mbps plan now as well, not advertised yet, but they could easily push it higher, the problem is not the lines, its the distribution, they simply don't have the gear yet that can handle a whole neighborhood that can run gigabit. Regardless, not a shaw vs telus thread.
    I haven't seen anything on DSL reports. Where did you see this?

I'm going to call them this aft. Any word on Pricing? I got 50 long before it was advertised.

edit: nvrmnd. found it.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm able to hit 250 on shaw any time of day. Just depends on your area, and usage patterns of people in your area for both providers.
    Bastard :P

My Shaw biz plan is stuck at 100 because they don't offer the 250 service in my area yet
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Looks like Optik 100 is 500GB allowance.

If your plan is:

Your monthly data usage allowance is:

TELUS Internet 100,
    Optik Internet 100

500 GB

Up to is what everyone says, shaw says up to 100 or up to 250, not often it hits that if ever.

On telus on a 50mbps plan you get 15mbps up, on shaw on the same plan you only get 3mbps, so that's pretty significant to some, like myself so uploads lot's of pictures and videos online, hell I even stream HD movies at my parents place over VPN.

I have Shaw BB 100 and I get my full 100Mbps any time of the day (Usually just a bit more than 100 Mbps), sustained. I even get over 100Mbps on my tablet and phone over wireless. The service has been flawless.

They don't have BB250 in my area downtown yet, unfortunately. I have tried to get it multiple times. I will get it immediately when it is available.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by speedog
    A company running a fiber optic cable down an alley doesn't necessarily mean everyone's going to be getting a FTH drop - TELUS ran a fiber cable down our alley some 5+ years ago and it's sole purpose was to connect/feed into the local CBE school. Part of a GOA project if my memory serves me correctly.

i understand , but htis was like every block in like 5 communities i noticed.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by benyl

I haven't seen anything on DSL reports. Where did you see this?

I'm going to call them this aft. Any word on Pricing? I got 50 long before it was advertised.

edit: nvrmnd. found it.
    can you share hte URL for fibre or they just call it 50mb?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Zhariak

Could be Shaw.

They're doing some cools things after their acquisition of Enmax's fiber network. Back a month after they purchased it, I had a couple customers that were eligible for Shaw FTTH. I had one customer pull the trigger, they LOVE it.
    hi, do you mean pull the trigger as sign up?

i noticed they connect they touch and play with the telephone junctions where they are connecting. .

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There is no URL as they can offer 50 over twisted copper as well.

This is the thread I found using google:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r290...100-Optik-100-

I called TELUS and it isn't available in my area yet. Dammit.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by Zhariak

Could be Shaw.

hi, do you mean pull the trigger as sign up?

i noticed they connect they touch and play with the telephone junctions where they are connecting. .

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by benyl
    There is no URL as they can offer 50 over twisted copper as well.

This is the thread I found using google:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r290...100-Optik-100-

I called TELUS and it isn't available in my area yet. Dammit.

thanks, how will you know if you are ordering as fibre or copper?

do they run a fibre cable from the pole to the home?

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

heres a picture from bridgeland they installed last year

http://i.snag.gy/pgWH6.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast