Quantcast
Looking for a gym downtown with a squat rack - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for a gym downtown with a squat rack

Default Looking for a gym downtown with a squat rack

I'll be working here over the summer: 411 1 St, SE, Calgary, AB

World's Health Core is a 8min walk from there so it's on the top of my list, but I'm not sure if they have squat racks.

All I need is a squat rack(s), flat benches, and somewhere to deadlift heavy (preferably a platform but it's not necessary, I can always use mats or something).

I don't care about stupid crap like towel service, cardio machines, pec fly machines, etc. I'd hope they would let me use chalk too, provided that I didn't make a mess.

Babes are a plus

By the way, does anyone know what the monthly rates are at World's Health Core for a student? Cheers.

EDIT: it seems that World's Health Core, Goodlife Eau Claire (YMCA), Bankers Hall Club, Anytime Fitness are all 8-15min walking distance from work. I guess I'll let you guys chime in on your favorite gym!
    Last edited by Zeroflux APX; 04-30-2014 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

World Health has 3 squat racks but depending on what time you go there its an ABSOLUTE SHIT SHOW.

If you go there between like 4-6pm you are constantly fighting for equipment. It dies down a lot Thursday/Friday tho.

My Ride
    My Bike

The Eau Claire YMCA has 6 squat racks, 3 with lifting platforms. It gets busy, but so does everything else downtown. In the past they have had special deals for summer students to get a membership for the summer only.

My Ride
    Car

I use the Hotel Arts anytime fitness, it's good for my purposes but might not be ideal for you. They don't have bench press racks so the (2x) squat racks serve double duty for that. You can easily go an entire 2 hour workout without a chance to get on one, often times I just go home and come back later. I'm going in the evening though, so if you can get in during the day or morning/overnight it's probably not bad. I've never seen anyone use chalk there.

I think you can get a free 7 or 14 day trial to Anytime (check the website). Worth checking out if nothing else.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Looking for a gym downtown with a squat rack

Originally posted by Zeroflux APX
    Goodlife Eau Claire (YMCA)
    Two different things there dude.
    Goodlife is cheap because it doesn't offer all the jazz. Around $29 biweekly. 2 flat benches, 1 incline, 1 decline, 1 squat rack, no olympic mats, I believe freeweights only go up to 100lb.

YMCA is probably around the ~$100/month mark? But that's with pool and what-not. No clue about their gym.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

I go to the Y, most people don't use the platforms or racks (properly anyway) it's $58 monthly and you have the flexibility to use your membership at any location, and you can put a hold on your account up to 3 months if you choose without paying the admin fee again

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    I use the Hotel Arts anytime fitness, it's good for my purposes but might not be ideal for you. They don't have bench press racks so the (2x) squat racks serve double duty for that. You can easily go an entire 2 hour workout without a chance to get on one, often times I just go home and come back later. I'm going in the evening though, so if you can get in during the day or morning/overnight it's probably not bad. I've never seen anyone use chalk there.

I think you can get a free 7 or 14 day trial to Anytime (check the website). Worth checking out if nothing else.
    +1, I go here and alternate between the Hotel Arts location and the 8th ave location regularly. I've never failed to get a squat rack and I'm usually there around 5:00ish.

Originally posted by firebane
    World Health has 3 squat racks but depending on what time you go there its an ABSOLUTE SHIT SHOW.

If you go there between like 4-6pm you are constantly fighting for equipment. It dies down a lot Thursday/Friday tho.
    Yup, an absolute gong show between 4-6pm and they close at 9pm. You'll have to fight for squat racks, especially since some people just do bicep curls in them.

Also, I know not all gyms are perfect, but WHC downtown also has the worst etiquette of all the gyms I've been to. Some people just do circuit sets (between like 3 or 4 exercises) and leave all there weights around. For instance, people would do db rows on one of the benches, leave their weights around and come back in 10 minutes expecting it to fully be reserved for them still...

My Ride
    My Bike

Default Re: Re: Looking for a gym downtown with a squat rack

Originally posted by jwslam

YMCA is probably around the ~$100/month mark? But that's with pool and what-not. No clue about their gym.
    It's closer to $70, but yeah, you get a pool and a everything.

Originally posted by woodywoodford

I go to this gym as well and I find it nearly impossible to get into the squat rack between 6 and 8PM on a weekday. Everything else is good, but almost my entire workout is unfortunately done in the rack haha.

Some guys use them for circuits too which is EXTREMELY annoying, because even if you work in, you need to change a bunch of weight each time.

Thanks for the replies! I'll be training around 9:30-11:30 Mon-Sat, so I suppose it won't be too busy. I'll go check out World's Health Core and Eau Claire YMCA and see which place has better student rates.

My Ride
    UCF20/R35

I believe its $36 monthly for a student

Originally posted by rage2
    Can someone who speaks brown please translate this for me please?

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Crazy, lots of peeps here goto Anytime. Good gym, racks are usually pretty good. But I also avoid the rush hours. Cheaper too. I pay $42 but get an EMS rate. Or that's what they tell me anyways
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

Originally posted by 1-Bar
    Crazy, lots of peeps here goto Anytime. Good gym, racks are usually pretty good. But I also avoid the rush hours. Cheaper too. I pay $42 but get an EMS rate. Or that's what they tell me anyways
    I pay $57/mo on a yearly membership there. It's more if you go on a lesser term. When I was shopping around I thought it was extremely reasonable. The gym is great, it just needs more of certain equipment. Having only 2 squat racks, combined with the D-bags who use them for circuit training and bicep curls, can make them hard to get unless you go off peak times.

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

That is awesome so many Beyonders go to Anytime downtown. I am the Regional Manager for the downtown clubs...we own the Core and Beltline clubs and the Airdrie one as well.

Like any gym it can get busy from 530-8ish for sure...the Core one (718 -8 Ave SW) is better after work than others...but it is also busier at noon due to the core crowd working out at lunch.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details.

Cheers.