Quantcast
Long hair? you cant play ball. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Long hair? you cant play ball.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Default Long hair? you cant play ball.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/05/01...baseball-coach

To a growing clamour of critics, Coach Bryan MacKenzie is a crusty, bad-tempered relic from a less tolerant era, banning some poor kid from his baseball team all because the teen’s hair is too long.

MacKenzie sees it differently.

For the 45-year-old Pincher Creek man, this isn’t about hair, long or short.

It’s about rules and respect, and more importantly, teaching young people to respect themselves.

“I have a rule on my baseball team, and I’ve had the same rule for the past six or seven years — I tell the kids, have your hair at respectable length, and look like ball players,” said MacKenzie.

MacKenzie doesn’t have shares in the local barber shop, and the coach of the Pincher Creek Dust Devils isn’t especially humourless — in fact, he laughs about his newfound notoriety, via an online video secretly filmed by the kid’s outraged mom.

“I stick by my words,” he said.

MacKenzie admits that he believes in a time when rules meant something, and kids weren’t all treated as precious individuals with a right to question every order.

“I guess I’m old school, you bet. Why does it matter? Because I’m trying to teach these kids about some character, and some life skills,” said MacKenzie.

“This isn’t about catching a ball — it’s about getting along on a team, and about being respectable young people, and to be able to cope in life, because you’re always going to be dealing with rules and people.”

He says for the past seven seasons, every kid on his team has agreed to a haircut, to show team spirt, and to look sharp on the field.

“Now, most of them just show up with their hair already cut, because they know what to expect, and no one has ever complained,” said MacKenzie.

“It’s my team, and my rule.”

Liam Nazarek wants to be the exception.

The 16-year-old high schooler with a mane of red hair says he’s growing his locks so he can eventually cut it all off and donate the tresses to cancer wigs. The coach claims Nazarek failed to mention that when first told to visit a barber.

The battle of the bouffant is quickly becoming the talk of southern Alberta, after Liam’s mom, Kimberley Jorgenson, recorded the debate between parent and coach, later posting it to social media.

“We have come to a decision Kim, that he is not going to be playing for me unless he cuts his hair,” MacKenzie tells the mom, as the video begins.

When Jorgenson argues, saying hair length is “not part of baseball,” the coach counters, “it’s part of my baseball, and if you want to coach, there’s the team.”

The thing is, Jorgenson does run a team — she’s president of the Dolphins Swim Club — and in her organization, there are no such rules.

“I do accept children no matter what they are — I’ve been running a club for years, and you don’t put demands on you have to have a suit, you have to have a cap,” mom tells the coach.

When the subject of the cancer charity comes up, MacKenzie still won’t budge.

“I’ve said it’s an admirable cause, okay? You could have mentioned that to me last Thursday night, that it was the reason. I’m not going to say that it was going to make any difference, but if that was the reason last night, it should have been then too,” says the coach.

Jorgenson posted the encounter to Facebook, and from there, the video moved with home run speed, leaving outrage in its wake.

“That coach is a disgrace to coaching & sport,” wrote one supporter, in a typical response.

Jorgenson further explained her position, via a Facebook post.

“What that coach did tonight and has been trying to this past week is discrimination,” she wrote.

“This is youth baseball. We should be encouraging kids to participate not turning them away because they of how they look. I am proud of Liam for standing up for what he believes in. He is a great leader and role model.”
    Why wasn't this brought up to the baseball association? and then the cancer hair donation comment only probably came to light once the mom found out the son needed a hair cut.

Also your work requires you not to look like a slob? are you going to whine to the media after they turn you down because of that?

Long red hair? He should be doing everything in his power to not draw attention to himself.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

That mom is an idiot and her kid sucks.

EDIT - I say that because he explained his position well and he makes some valid points.

"Look like ball players" isn't one of them hahaha

Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 05-02-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

and look like ball players,” said MacKenzie.

What does long hair have to do with respect or playing baseball?

Maybe a bald cap is the solution?
    Last edited by Modelexis; 05-02-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I tell the kids, have your hair at respectable length, and look like ball players,” said MacKenzie.
    Look like a Yankee maybe. The Bosox is a team made up of guys that look like hobos.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    That mom is an idiot and her kid sucks.
    +1

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Maybe her son can join the swim team. She says she doesn't have any rules there.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

While I agree whole-heartedly with the coach and the principles, I am going to assume it is a public league, and as such, does not have the authority to make that kind of a rule.

As for the mom claiming discrimination, that is a pretty far reach, and one designed to inflame the situation, akin to playing a race card.

The mother is an attention seeking whore, knowingly beforehand that she was going to secretly record it, and then rather than going to the people running the league, she spreads it around FB and YT. LOOK AT ME! I AM A MARTYR! STANDING UP FOR WOMAN'S RIGHTS AND THE RIGHT OF MY SON TO LOOK LIKE A DAUGHTER!

I think the coach handled it pretty well from the quotes. He explained his side quite well, and even offered to step down if people did not like the way he coached.

I thought Alberta was on this whole anti-bully campaign, and all this "mother" has done is attempt to bully the coach. I am just wondering how long he can hold up before being pressured into apologizing. I hope he steps down before that happens.

All this mother has done is teach her son that all he has to do is throw a tempur tantrum to get his way.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

here's a thought. What if the team uniforms were from Monsters INC, and he wanted the exception to wear a Monster's High uniform instead to show support of vampire high school chicks?
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Coach Carter was way more entertaining.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

How is this news?

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

THE coach is trying to teach them life lessons? What are they in preschool here, let them play.

Nimrod of a coach forgetting about his job and teaching them baseball. I can't believe shit like this makes the news, it be the coach or the mother. Its a fucken haircut, and from what i saw on the front page it was actually a groomed mullet. Nothing wrong with that....

Bad on both parties, no kid should have to miss out because of people and their power trips.

My Ride
    Subaru wagon

Originally posted by 88CRX
    How is this news?
    Its the sun, i think they have really low standards

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

There is no hair in a team.

My Ride
    09 hyundai accent hatch

Originally posted by Milk2%
    THE coach is trying to teach them life lessons? What are they in preschool here, let them play.

Nimrod of a coach forgetting about his job and teaching them baseball. I can't believe shit like this makes the news, it be the coach or the mother. Its a fucken haircut, and from what i saw on the front page it was actually a groomed mullet. Nothing wrong with that....

Bad on both parties, no kid should have to miss out because of people and their power trips.
    Disagree 100% any coaches job is more than just teaching the sport. I grew up playing high level hockey and in junior we had to be clean shaven and dress in a suit when we showed up for a game. If not we got sat for the first time it happened and off the team the second. As a coach it is your responsibility to prepare the kids for more than just a game, same as you learn respect in karate. This is part of his process and his rules. Good on him.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Is it a job or is he volunteering his time like most youth sports?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Disagree.

His sentiments regarding youth that do not comprehend rules is well placed. Too many people bend rules now in the name of political correctness.

The convenient excuse of using his hair for cancer is just that, an excuse. If that was the real situation it would have been discussed as soon as the hair was made an issue.

Move along mom, you've had your 15 minutes of fame.

Originally posted by calgarys_finest

Disagree 100% any coaches job is more than just teaching the sport. I grew up playing high level hockey and in junior we had to be clean shaven and dress in a suit when we showed up for a game. If not we got sat for the first time it happened and off the team the second. As a coach it is your responsibility to prepare the kids for more than just a game, same as you learn respect in karate. This is part of his process and his rules. Good on him.
    There's more too this than simply learning how to play baseball.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

You obviously haven't spent any time coaching minor sports. The sport itself is a pretty small slice of what is going on especially at a young age.

The hair itself isn't really the issue here. It's about a TEAM all following the same rules for the sake of uniformity. It's about structure and it's about teaching kids that sometimes the team comes before your own desires. Is the world going to crumble if the little snowflake gets his way and the coach quits? No. But if the kid gets his way now at the expense of the team & coach, it sets a pretty piss poor example for all involved. I suspect this has more to do with the mother though than it does the kid.

Edit: Additional clarification
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 05-02-2014 at 02:40 PM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Originally posted by A790

Disagree.

His sentiments regarding youth that do not comprehend rules is well placed. Too many people bend rules now in the name of political correctness.

The convenience excuse of using his hair for cancer is just that, an excuse. If that was the real situation it would have been discussed as soon as the hair was made an issue.

Move along mom, you've had your 15 minutes of fame.
    Coming from over 20 years of Athletics at the highest level so I've gone through a fair share of coaches! I've gone through the suits before hockey and i understand the preparation should be similar to your job. Which it might end up being
    Some of the hair a few of my team mates use to have were 10X worse then what you see, but throw a suit and tie and the guy looks like a million bucks.

What I'm getting at is this old school coach is stuck in his ways and obviously doesn't like long hair. Yeah you can follow the old saying 'my way of the highway' but buddy needs to get over his phobia.

The mom is dump plain and simple.

Hope that kid goes on to play in the show. Show that old man sports is about learning how to deal with ups and downs. You learn to work as a team, you develop friendships, you learn how to deal with absolute disappointment and dealing with pure joy. Kids don't need a life coach they have there parents.
    Last edited by Milk2%; 05-02-2014 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast