Quantcast
Anyone work for City of Calgary? (Roads/Structures) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone work for City of Calgary? (Roads/Structures)

Default Anyone work for City of Calgary? (Roads/Structures)

Hey guys,

I have an interview next week for a position within the Roads/Structures department for the City of Calgary. It states a standard 35hr work week.

I'm just curious if anyone is/has worked in this (or any other) department and what they think of it. How are your coworkers, the office, benefits etc.
    I kind of just applied for the job on a whim and am actually shocked to have heard back from them. I don't 'hate' my current job but I just struggle when it's slow. The last thing I want to do is change jobs, assuming I get offered the role, and have even less work and regret it.

Anyways, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Looks like I would definitely need a higher salary if I'm only getting 35hrs/ week as opposed to 40 (1820hrs/yr vs 2080)

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Is there any public sector job that isn't slow paced?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Golden Pension!!

Yeah, I like how all the jobs on the city website are a "standard" 35 hour work week. Pay is pretty decent too on most postings.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Which union is it? And is the position temporary or permanent?

Originally posted by ianmcc
    Which union is it? And is the position temporary or permanent?
    Union/Position: CUPE Local 38/Permanent #TBD

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by J-D
    Yeah, I like how all the jobs on the city website are a "standard" 35 hour work week. Pay is pretty decent too on most postings.
    40 is pretty standard but my next job I'm going to will be 37.5hr standard week. All depends on how many flex days, vacation days etc.

Know a guy I went to University with who's been in that area since we graduated. Easily 10yrs now and wouldn't even consider leaving. I've tried to coax him to the private sector but can't give up the "perks" of the public sector.
    Everytime I email him, I get an out of office reply so sounds pretty lax and cush.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Know a guy I went to University with who's been in that area since we graduated. Easily 10yrs now and wouldn't even consider leaving. I've tried to coax him to the private sector but can't give up the "perks" of the public sector.
    Everytime I email him, I get an out of office reply so sounds pretty lax and cush.
    I'm really curious what all these 'perks' are all about that city folk speak of...intriguing

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Dumbass17

I'm really curious what all these 'perks' are all about that city folk speak of...intriguing
    Fat pensions, tons of holiday/vacation/sick days.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I remember when I worked for the city in Parks, we worked mon-thurs from 7am-4:30pm. Some days were really busy but it was fairly mindless work. I couldnt imagine that roads would be much different.

It was nice having 3 days off a week and getting paid weekly though.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Fat pensions, tons of holiday/vacation/sick days.
    That is such a vague, great answer, I am sure it is backed with credible knowledge :p

Did you know that typically unionized individuals and "professionals" have different packages? No? Kind of thought so.

We have no idea what OP does or what position he has applied for. Unless you have solid facts to bring to the table, I would argue that in the public sector he will get exactly the same as he would in the private sector (and in salary, it will be slightly lower due to only working 35 hours per week).

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

That is such a vague, great answer, I am sure it is backed with credible knowledge :p

Did you know that typically unionized individuals and "professionals" have different packages? No? Kind of thought so.

We have no idea what OP does or what position he has applied for. Unless you have solid facts to bring to the table, I would argue that in the public sector he will get exactly the same as he would in the private sector (and in salary, it will be slightly lower due to only working 35 hours per week).
    Wow. Thanks for all of YOUR "credible" knowledge. I'm glad you've determined your "opinions" are fact and mine are not. Your "solid facts" sure made me look stupid.

If only there was some way a person could research this, perhaps some world wide network of shared information that anyone could look at, possibly accessed by a electronic computing device. Oh look, what do you know? Amazing!!

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/HR/Document...onBenefits.pdf

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/HR/Document...f?noredirect=1
    Vettel's #1

Default Re: Anyone work for City of Calgary? (Roads/Structures)

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    Hey guys,

I have an interview next week for a position within the Roads/Structures department for the City of Calgary. It states a standard 35hr work week.

I'm just curious if anyone is/has worked in this (or any other) department and what they think of it. How are your coworkers, the office, benefits etc.
    I kind of just applied for the job on a whim and am actually shocked to have heard back from them. I don't 'hate' my current job but I just struggle when it's slow. The last thing I want to do is change jobs, assuming I get offered the role, and have even less work and regret it.

Anyways, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Looks like I would definitely need a higher salary if I'm only getting 35hrs/ week as opposed to 40 (1820hrs/yr vs 2080)
    I work with the City ALOT.

Benefits are the best around, you won't find much better anywhere else. Great pensions. Honestly, working for the city would probably be a joke. Usually the city has 6-7 employees to cover my position, I can imagine it to be a pretty stress free environment. I deal mostly with engineers, but from what I've managed to ruffle up - the salarys are just as good.

Co-worker's wife is an engineer for ENMAX. One benefit I heard she gets is 10% of her salary from the employer into an RRSP each pay period.

Not sure if there are parallels with City of Calgary in terms of benefits.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

City contributes $1.106 for every $1 contributed by the employee (more once you exceed YMPE of $51 100).
    No brainer- you won't achieve over 100% return on your own RRSPs.
    My union (local 37) works a 4-day week. In our BU it's 4x9.5hr so every weekend is a long weekend. Local 38 works a bit different based on BU but at least it's inside work!

the job sounded boring as

My Ride
    FB6

Originally posted by ianmcc
    City contributes $1.106 for every $1 contributed by the employee (more once you exceed YMPE of $51 100).
    No brainer- you won't achieve over 100% return on your own RRSPs.
    My union (local 37) works a 4-day week. In our BU it's 4x9.5hr so every weekend is a long weekend. Local 38 works a bit different based on BU but at least it's inside work!
    Considering you max out your RRSP at 18% of your employment income up to a maximum amount.

You really only get matched ~9.5% if you contributed your ~8.5%.

Pretty much the same deal. Except the Enmax deal above gives you 10% with no matching.

My Ride
    2009 F150 Lariat supercrew

i work in roads traffic operations been there a little over 10 years.. full time since 2006 has the usual bs you find in any other shops..... the benefits are great and the pension is worth it.... people can hate on city employees all they want its a great place to work
    2009 Ford f150 Lariat crewcab-mine
    2003 chevy venture-wifes
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee-31's,2inch lift,cb 362,000kms and running great!

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT- 18's, Body Kit, system SOLD
    2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac-Family Hauler SOLD
    1996 Volvo 850 turbo-SOLD

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Bump.

Would like to hear from anyone working with the City in the Roads dept. Or anyone familiar with it. Specifically in IBEW254/Outdoor workers.

Curious about OT - Do these guys get much opportunity for OT?

Schedule? I've heard 4 10's, Iv'e heard every 2nd friday off - anyone know what schedule they actually work?

Feel free to PM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast