Quantcast
Cyclist at intersection - how do you treat them? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cyclist at intersection - how do you treat them?

Default Cyclist at intersection - how do you treat them?

Another thread got me a thinking (that's bad) about cyclists and more how we, as motorists, treat them in a case where the cyclist has stopped at an intersection that is not controlled by lights.

Uncontrolled intersection or intersections controlled by stop/yield signs - if you're driving your vehicle (car/truck/motorbike/hovercraft) and you come up to this type of intersection whereas a cyclist has stopped but is straddling their bicycle, what do you do?

Too often I see the motorist cede right of way to the cyclist which is wrong IMHO and especially so when the motorist has the right of way. The only time I'll consider ceding my right of way to a cyclist is if they're fully off their bicycle and walking beside it in the crosswalk area - they are then a pedestrian IMHO and I'll follow the laws and stop for them so they can safely cross the road I am traveling on. But if that cyclist still has one foot on a pedal and is figuring they're going to scoot across still sort of riding their bicycle, then I'm not stopping for them. If the cyclist is straddling their bicycle, they're still not going to get me to stop and cede my right of way to them - either be a pedestrian or not.

Now some back history, I cycle-commuted for decades and never once expected a motorist to stop for me at the type of intersections I described above where I didn't have the right of way. My expectation only changed when I was fully off of my bicycle and acting as a pedestrian and in that case, I never ever got back on my bicycle in any way - I walked my bicycle fully across the road I was crossing. Taught my kids the same thing - the way I see it is respect goes both ways for cyclist and motorists. If someone did stop for me while I was straddling my bicycle, I would wave them through as they had the right of way and not myself although that seemed to confuse a good number of motorists.

Problem I see is far too many cyclists who pull the bullshit "I'm a pedestrian now" crap, get traffic to stop for them and then they all of a sudden become a cyclist again in crossing the road at the intersection atop their bicycle. I also see far too many motorists who are candy-asses and stop for every cyclist, young or old, - this is not teaching anyone anything and only re-enforces the sense of entitlement that too many cyclists appear to have.

So what do you all do - if that cyclist, (spandex clad or not) comes up to an intersection and sits there straddling their bicycle, do you stop for them when you have the right of way?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

i never stop unless they are walking the bike across, I walk my bike across crosswalks when I ride. On Kensington road a jackass on a bike tried to pull the "I'm a bike/pedestrian" bs and tried riding through the crosswalk when he didn't have right of way (of course without stopping). I honked at him and he tried to block my lane when I kept driving through. I can't count the number of times I have gone to make a turn, with walkways clear of pedestrians and had bikers riding on the sidewalk pull into the crosswalk at full speed.

I fully realize most bikers aren't like that, but bikers being magical vehicles/pedestrians need to be stopped if the city wants better cooperation between cars and bikes.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

on bike = same as any other car
    off bike = pedestrian
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

finboy: I think I've seen the same guy.
    There's one mountain bike guy, orange hoodie. Aggressive at crossing Kensington Rd. Basically doesn't stop and rides into the road. If he can get 1/4 into it, he will push through with cars going by him both sides.
    He does this in regular intersections, not crosswalks.

Originally posted by spikerS
    off bike = pedestrian
    This is correct.

Off bike must be in crosswalk. On bike in crosswalk is illegal (not that it stops anyone).

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I hate people stopping for me when I'm riding on the road. You have the right of way, just go. You are trying to be nice but instead you are creating a hazard for me. If I want to be treated as a pedestrian I get off my bike and walk. This is not just cars vs cyclists, it happens between cars too. Just follow the rules of the road people, don't make your own.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    finboy: I think I've seen the same guy.
    There's one mountain bike guy, orange hoodie. Aggressive at crossing Kensington Rd. Basically doesn't stop and rides into the road. If he can get 1/4 into it, he will push through with cars going by him both sides.
    He does this in regular intersections, not crosswalks.

Sounds like he needs a good firm "bump" not that I condone running over all cyclists -- just some of them.

My Ride
    Lexus NX

I've had plenty of close calls (ie: right-turning at traffic light) where cyclists from behind me just plows through the crosswalk without even slowing/stopping.

While they're supposed to dismount first, I wonder how the insurance fault-determination would play out (ie: would cyclist be found 100% at fault). Either way, I'm too chicken to find out... I'll just save myself the hassle and let them go.

And if you ever honk them, I've seen cases where they go into rage-mode and bash their bike + helmet into your car. Either way, I don't think I want to take the risk.

Originally posted by doomdealer
    I've had plenty of close calls (ie: right-turning at traffic light) where cyclists from behind me just plows through the crosswalk without even slowing/stopping.

While they're supposed to dismount first, I wonder how the insurance fault-determination would play out (ie: would cyclist be found 100% at fault). Either way, I'm too chicken to find out... I'll just save myself the hassle and let them go.

And if you ever honk them, I've seen cases where they go into rage-mode and bash their bike + helmet into your car. Either way, I don't think I want to take the risk.
    The cyclist is at fault as they are going straight in a turn lane?

Default Re: Cyclist at intersection - how do you treat them?

Originally posted by speedog
    Another thread got me a thinking (that's bad) about cyclists and more how we, as motorists, treat them in a case where the cyclist has stopped at an intersection that is not controlled by lights.
    Ideally, cyclists should be treated like cars - But not all cyclists buy into this, which leads to confusion.

Furthermore, there's the "spook" factor of cyclists.... Sometimes a cyclist is driving in an unpredictable manner, and it's just prudent to give them the right of way to get them out of the way.

They should behave like cars, but not all do.

No easy answer. Gotta do what makes sense on the spot.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

the problem with treating cyclists like cars, is that the cyclist knows there is no way to identify them. They can ride with impunity, because no one can call in and identify them.

I would like to see that ANY bike in the first 16 blocks of either side of center and center be required to be registered and insured as any other car, with a fully visible licence plate or similar.

I would also expect to see active police enforcement on it as well.

On a side note, If a cyclist dismounts at a crosswalk, I will stop for them every time, but I actually prefer it when they then will scoot across on 1 pedal and swing the other leg over when they get across, makes the time I have to stop a lot shorter.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    my bike

The hard part is getting cyclists to buy in, the couriers are the worst but there is still too high a number of commuters who seem to think they're exempt from the rules. I cycle commute in the summer, mix of pathways/bike lanes and road where none of the former exist. I stop at stop signs/lights and stay out of crosswalks, there is enough road rage in this city that I try to do what I can to mitigate it.

I have been stopped at an intersection before waiting to make a left turn across traffic and have had people stop for me. I was nowhere near the sidewalk/crosswalk.

off bike = pedestrian
    This. I thought I was alone in thinking this.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

On a side note, If a cyclist dismounts at a crosswalk, I will stop for them every time, but I actually prefer it when they then will scoot across on 1 pedal and swing the other leg over when they get across, makes the time I have to stop a lot shorter.
    I did that in front of a cop couple weeks ago, he didn't shoot me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The city's attitude towards cyclists is what creates all this confusion IMO. Cyclists and Pedestrians don't mix, so they're not allowed on sidewalks. Cyclists and cars don't mix, that's why they create bike lanes.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lexus NX

This. I actually have no problems with cyclists riding across a crosswalk GIVEN that they actually stopped first to give me a chance to see them as a driver.

If you stopped to signal your intention to cross at the crosswalk, I'll stop for you regardless if you're riding or walking the bike.

What I HATE is when the riders don't stop at all and just ride right through the crosswalk without even making eye contact first. This is a major reason why I bought my dashcam.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

When I cycle to work and am at a crosswalk, I will come to a complete stop and wait for traffic to either go by or stop. If they stop then I will ride across to minimize my time in the intersection. It doesn't make sense for me to stop, dismount and walk across while in the same time it would take for me to dismount, I would already be across the street? Its convenient for both parties.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    When I cycle to work and am at a crosswalk, I will come to a complete stop and wait for traffic to either go by or stop. If they stop then I will ride across to minimize my time in the intersection. It doesn't make sense for me to stop, dismount and walk across while in the same time it would take for me to dismount, I would already be across the street? Its convenient for both parties.

I treat them like the scum they are.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast