Quantcast
Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    ...minus the business department of course; everytime I declined one of the overpriced extras I got:

"well if it was my car, I sure wouldn't want to risk getting rock chips all over the hood"........
    "well if it was my car, I would want to protect the interior"........
    "well if it was my car, I would totally get the extra coverage pacakage"......

Well... it isn't your car, so fuck off already. What a nightmare fest that was. I should mention, this is every dealership and not something unique to Audi. I am developing a serious hatred for business departments at these places.
    What's funny is that they make you run through that gauntlet of bullshit even if you are paying cash for the car. It's easier if you already have an appointment for Shadow tint and can show them the quote . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Do you know that? Or think it because margins and costs on cars are so readily available?

I'm assuming you get great deals on gasoline....
    Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I really don't think you can compare buying a $20 case of beer to a $30,000+ car in very many ways. I don't have to do weeks of research, and deal with 3 hours of bullshit sales games to get 3% off of my beer.

I'm sure the margins on liquor and gasoline are plenty high, but there is far less transparency and at least at the consumer end, no shady or high pressure tactics.

The only point I was trying to make was not to feel bad for the dealer if you got a smokin' deal on a car, they most definitely would not have sold it to you unless it benefited them somehow, and would have been happy to pressure you into paying $1000 for their $100 protection package.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-13-2014 at 01:55 PM.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Extraslow -- yes that is pretty rare, but I've seen it happen because we have a client who is hot or know that it will sell super well. :-) That's wicked for you!!! you're one of the 1% in the trade in scenario --- most people don't get their value in a trade because of how they roll negative equity into each deal over years. Sadly they confuse value of the car for their loan buyout --- two separate things. But it's nice to hear someone getting a value they like! (I will never have that happen, I'm 60-75k annually so until high mileage vehicles are in...).

Also for your other comment - the loan insurance and extended warranty and pro packs I believe they have a legal or legal-ish responsibility to present in full even if you're declining it - then there's no liability issues after with the client saying "I wasn't told about that" which is also why you have to initial the decline and that it was offered on the BOS at most competent dealerships.

PS - if anyone with a BMW is debating the extended warranty --- HIGHLY recommend it, worth every penny. I've had amazing results with BMW warranty and them going the extra mile. I took it because I drive so much and wear out the stock warranty in 1-2 years on pretty much all rides out there.
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 02:17 PM.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Sorry if I wasn't more clear, but I really don't think you can compare buying a $20 case of beer to a $30,000+ car in very many ways. I don't have to do weeks of research, and deal with 3 hours of bullshit sales games to get 3% off of my beer.

I'm sure the margins on liquor and gasoline are plenty high, but there is far less transparency and at least at the consumer end, no shady or high pressure tactics.

The only point I was trying to make was not to feel bad for the dealer if you got a smokin' deal on a car, they most definitely would not have sold it to you unless it benefited them somehow, and would have been happy to pressure you into paying $1000 for their $100 protection package.
    There is also a Liquor store on every corner fighting for your business so it's in their best interest to give you the best deal possible to keep you from going to the next guy, car dealer selection is usually a lot more limited especially with luxury brands.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by dubhead

There is also a Liquor store on every corner fighting for your business so it's in their best interest to give you the best deal possible to keep you from going to the next guy, car dealer selection is usually a lot more limited especially with luxury brands.
    It's also likely some 20 year old who works part time there behind the counter. Absolutely no way they're going to give anyone any wrangle room. Why would they?

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Originally posted by Cos
    The people who work as a salesman at a dealer are pretty obvious in this thread. LOL
    LOL if this is directed to me - I think I was pretty transparent in saying things like "when I used to sell cars" or "having been a part of this business for many years" indicating that i was a car salesman and in the industry.
    I think if we're on this forum were all enthusiasts or into cars in some way. Some of us sell cars and or parts and others of us buy them. We all have some knowledge of the industry and what's what. But don't hate on the people working in the industry because there would be no one to sell you a car, service it, mod it, etc ... And we're allowed to make our living same as anyone else and earn a profit. I just wish more ppl did it respectfully so we all wouldn't be labeled with the same bad wrap.

But for now I've moved on to a different industry at the distribution level and B2B is so much better than B2Consumer.
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by redbaron303
    If you need a day to make a decision - take a day. If you need to discuss with your mom, dad, wife, husband, dog ... do it and then make the decision (in fact bring them with you so you're not wasting your time nor the salespersons twice by having to bring them the second time).

I prefer leaving wife/husband/mom/dad/dog out in the car or at home so I can play the same "get up and go discuss with someone else" or "make a phone call" games as the dealers do and get up and leave their office.

[url]

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I agree that the auto industry is using a unique model, and in my opinion, it's not going to last that long. Something will disrupt it. Let's be honest, for most brands, ther are very few option packages, and the pricing could be very transparent. Someone will figure out a way to sell more cars with fewer hassles and fewer sales staff, and those people will make good money on lower margin/higher volume.

I do think the consumers are partly to blame, if we're assigning blame, for the current situation. Far too many people don't treat these pruchases sseriously. They do zero research, and take zero responsibility for the financial transaction. it's a pretty childish attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

friend saw this yesterday on his way home...that's inspiring

My Ride
    '14 Taco

bah didn't upload. try this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    AW10

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Heninger is already on my list of places not to shop due to poor customer service along with Valentine Volvo and Advantage Ford.

I wonder what is wrong with the truck?

1- out of a certain production #= Lemons.

Really.. no car manufacturer is immune to a defective car of some sort.

I am guessing its a lemon with various problems (lemon stickers)

I wonder what the story on that truck is. Everyone makes the odd lemon, but they also have the option to make it right for the customer. Seems like this guy is pretty upset haha.

My Ride
    AW10

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I wonder what the story on that truck is. Everyone makes the odd lemon, but they also have the option to make it right for the customer. Seems like this guy is pretty upset haha.

it wouldn't surprise me if the dealership failed to class this truck as a "lemon" and tell the owner to pound sand, and call "Toyota Canada".

Technically, (in the states anyway) They do have a Lemon law protecting consumers.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4