Quantcast
Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Default Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

I've been interested in a Tacoma for years, and have been doing a ton of research, and figured I'd go take a look at one today. I've never actually bought a car from a dealership, however I assisted my girlfriend when she was buying hers a few years ago.

Went for a test drive (wasn't really needed, I know I like them), and then went and sat down with the salesman. All good, seemed like a nice guy, until we sat down and he said "ok, so you'll buy today?", which put me off guard immediately.

He offered me 'employee pricing' of cost plus 3%, to which I asked 'ok, so how much is that'; to which he replied 'I can't tell you unless you'll buy it'.

Well, that got it off a bit on the wrong foot. Wouldn't tell me the price, so how can I say I would buy it?

He then asked me how much I'd want to put down, and how much approximately I'd want to pay a month. He leaves to go talk to the manager, then comes back and says 'yep we can do that amount a month with that down payment'. Yet won't tell me how many months or the financing rate, "oh you'd have to go talk to the financing department, you'd pay it off when it was paid off".

So I left.

So being a newbie to buying new, obviously not a great first encounter. I'll be going to a different dealership, and looking to deal with the manager directly instead of a minion.

Any other suggestions? Anyone on here work @ Toyota?

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Read this then you tell me. It's a bit long but worth it

http://www.wisebread.com/17-things-c...nt-you-to-know

Read the link in number 8 "the four square"
    Last edited by roll_over; 05-09-2014 at 06:33 PM.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

WTF! lol.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

South pointe? Figure out what it's worth and flat make an offer. I had the same issue, I told them I'm not worried about monthly payment as I know the ball park it'll be in, what's the damn price your selling it to me for. I think they do that so they can sell for msrp and just adjust term and monthly payment. I imagine this shot works on some people who only think of 89/bi weekly.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Next time tell them you are a cash buyer... hate that shit... but it can be fun to fuck with them if you are good at math on the fly

My Ride
    '14 Taco

CC, i park at the train station so just stopped on the way home

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by roll_over
    Read this then you tell me. It's a bit long but worth it

http://www.wisebread.com/17-things-c...nt-you-to-know

Read the link in number 8 "the four square"
    good article. thanks

Unhaggle.com run a report for the dealer cost and find out any factory incentives they have (carcostcanada gives the same report but in a different format I'm pretty sure)
    Put in ur email and choose the option that says u don't want to be bothered by a salesman yet and do ur research

I went to look at a car once and I ran the report beforehand.
    Told the salesman I was buying cash and he tried to get me into leasing first, then when I got annoyed and started looking for another salesman right in front of him he took me to the side and said he will give me 3k off and he's sorry. I said I know there's a factory cash incentive of 5k and he can stop the bullshit...he didn't know what to say.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Do you still get the incentive if you do financing? I won't be doing cash.

Also, what is the kind of down payment most would be putting down on something like this? Is it worth it when they offer 1.9% at 60 mths?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 01:57 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My attitude with auto salespeople is that I need to be the aggressive asshole in the relationship. If they turn that up, I can turn it up higher.

Also, no matter what you are planning on doing, always start out by saying you are a cash buyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion SE; 2001 VW Passat GLS

I know we have a 2010 Tacoma available at the dealership I work at.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    I've been interested in a Tacoma for years, and have been doing a ton of research, and figured I'd go take a look at one today. I've never actually bought a car from a dealership, however I assisted my girlfriend when she was buying hers a few years ago.

Went for a test drive (wasn't really needed, I know I like them), and then went and sat down with the salesman. All good, seemed like a nice guy, until we sat down and he said "ok, so you'll buy today?", which put me off guard immediately.

He offered me 'employee pricing' of cost plus 3%, to which I asked 'ok, so how much is that'; to which he replied 'I can't tell you unless you'll buy it'.

Well, that got it off a bit on the wrong foot. Wouldn't tell me the price, so how can I say I would buy it?

He then asked me how much I'd want to put down, and how much approximately I'd want to pay a month. He leaves to go talk to the manager, then comes back and says 'yep we can do that amount a month with that down payment'. Yet won't tell me how many months or the financing rate, "oh you'd have to go talk to the financing department, you'd pay it off when it was paid off".

So I left.

So being a newbie to buying new, obviously not a great first encounter. I'll be going to a different dealership, and looking to deal with the manager directly instead of a minion.

Any other suggestions? Anyone on here work @ Toyota?
    Toyota has THE best website out of all makes in Canada. The fees on the site is what you pay. No hidden costs, or extra fees like almost all other companies do.

Cost + 3% is available to anyone at Toyota right now. If you're looking at a 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab auto TRD it's around $36,000+fees and tax (website can spit out the exact numbers). Markup on that truck is around $3000 so cost plus 3% would be roughly $2,000 off (as per unhaggle). Of course reason he didn't tell you what the numbers are is because they will insist their cost is much higher aka they only have $1,500-$2,000 in room vs the $3,000 reported by unhaggle or CCC.

If you go talk to another manager go in prepared. Know what full price of truck is (from site). Bring copy of CCC or unhaggle, offer them a price you want to pay (cost plus $500/$1,000/$1,500, whatever you're happy with) and say you're ready to sign on the spot, no test drive, no bs. Usually they will work with you at that point.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Lol
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Default Re: Re: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

Originally posted by Aleks

Toyota has THE best website out of all makes in Canada. The fees on the site is what you pay. No hidden costs, or extra fees like almost all other companies do.

Cost + 3% is available to anyone at Toyota right now. If you're looking at a 2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab auto TRD it's around $36,000+fees and tax (website can spit out the exact numbers). Markup on that truck is around $3000 so cost plus 3% would be roughly $2,000 off (as per unhaggle). Of course reason he didn't tell you what the numbers are is because they will insist their cost is much higher aka they only have $1,500-$2,000 in room vs the $3,000 reported by unhaggle or CCC.

If you go talk to another manager go in prepared. Know what full price of truck is (from site). Bring copy of CCC or unhaggle, offer them a price you want to pay (cost plus $500/$1,000/$1,500, whatever you're happy with) and say you're ready to sign on the spot, no test drive, no bs. Usually they will work with you at that point.
    I get that, just was wierd the attitude of if you'll buy now, we'll tell you the price. How the hell would I know if I would buy then, If the price was never discussed.

Going to talk to Heninger tomorrow

Default Re: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

So I left.

This happened to me a Royal Oak Nissan - the sales woman didn't even print out on a piece of paper what the costs were.. She just said we can do approximately that much per month and work in the 'HID' upgrade I wanted on the pathfinder... so pretty soon after that I left. I like to see numbers on paper and if you can't print that out - which is really damn easy - then its not worth my time.

My Ride
    bus

Default Re: Re: Re: Is this a typical 'strategy' for Dealerships?

I get that, just was wierd the attitude of if you'll buy now, we'll tell you the price. How the hell would I know if I would buy then, If the price was never discussed.

Going to talk to Heninger tomorrow
    I was looking for a taco trd last year and pulled a CCC report. The rep for calgary was josh hynes at stampede Toyota. We went for a test drive, over the features of the truck etc etc.
    I thought that I was going to get the same "new car high pressure" sales pitches from him but that never happened.

IIRC all he wanted was ~ 1k above the invoice price. In the end I didn't get the taco because I decided to go to a larger truck. So in my opinion, if you want a no BS salesman go talk to josh.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

When I bought mine, I told him I was shopping numbers and they gave me some for out the door pricing.

I then called about 7 dealerships asking if they had as good or better truck, as my dealer could not get me the flame blue color. Every one of them called me back and said they could not even match the price, and a few tried to give me some other incentives, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

That method worked really well for me. Told em what I wanted and I wanted out the door pricing and that I was going to shop the number. Cut out all the BS and I a sure I got the best deal I could.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Was it south pointe? You never answered. I bought used from there, and a buddy bought new. I think that's there game we both got prices we weren't getting elsewhere, don't write them off completely just make an actual offer and walk if need be. I wasn't a fan of the tactics and actually tried to leave twice but the pot sweetened, go to henniger and maybe call this salesman and tell him the price you found and tell him to beat it. I have no affiliation with South pointe (and hate the tactics) , but I think they have a new staff, and management you might be able to get a bit more just like there high pressure probably gets them a bit more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast