Quantcast
Good BBQ's? Need help picking a new one - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Good BBQ's? Need help picking a new one

Default Good BBQ's? Need help picking a new one

My 5 year old Charmglow BBQ shit the bed a couple weeks ago and I need a replacement unit.

Besides the Weber's what other brands are good?

I really like the Weber's, but it doesn't seem like you a get a lot of bang for your buck with those BBQ's. But I have heard they are superior quality, or at least this was a few years ago. Not sure about now?

Anyway....

Advice on BBQ's? My old Charmglow had 5 burners and a side burner. So would like something similar, but since I don't entertain guests as much now, 3 burner is sufficient.

Opinions on the following:

- Broil Mate
    - Brinkmann
    - Weber
    - Coleman
    - Cuisinart
    - Charbroil

Propane preferred.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by BokCh0y; 05-11-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

Take a look at Napoleon. Canadian built, built in infrared to sear your meat, great value. Trail, BBQ's galore, and Diamond Fireplace stock them.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Napoleons are good. Just stay away from the ones the sell at CT. Those are inferior.

I love my Weber. Especially since it's the cast iron grill version. I may be switching to a gas grill in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Personally, I find that brand is pretty irrelevant. A lot of the BBQs out there share parts and such, and many of them are identical BBQs to other "inferior" ones, made by the same manufacturer, with a couple cosmetic changes, and a different name badge.

I say the biggest thing to look for is the grilling surface. I really like a ceramic grill, or a thick ceramic coating. Cast Iron is the best, but requires way more maintenance than most people are willing to put into it. next, I like as many burners as I can across the grilling surface, just to minimize cold spots. It takes a while to learn the grill surface for areas that cook faster than others, and where it is best for warming.

I know I am going to catch a LOT of flack for what I have posted, but this is what I have learned from buying $1200+ grilles to $50 grilles. I find for the average family, something in the $3-500 range is usually more than enough. My current Grille I bought from Walmart for $299 and I have had it for like 7 years now, and have packed it up and moved it all over the place to do events for 500+ people more times than I like to count.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Picked up a charbroil infrared at lowes for $519 a few weeks ago. Love it so far.

Originally posted by spikerS
    I like as many burners as I can across the grilling surface, just to minimize cold spots. It takes a while to learn the grill surface for areas that cook faster than others, and where it is best for warming.
    From my experience when I stepped it up to a Weber I stopped experiencing cold spots. The heat is much more consistent then the Canadian Tire/Superstore specials I used to purchase.

Weber +1

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I don't find I need that much maintenence on the cast iron grill.
    I'm currently running a ten-year-old home depot special. Probably time for me to upgrade too . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

purchased a $500 natural gas one from Canadian tire. I think Master Grill or something? Ill check but yeah, IMO i don't notice any difference from that one and my parents cheap $100 dollar one other then the fact natural gas and propane.

I love BBQing too much to really care.

Get Natural Gas is possible heats up so fast.

I would second the fact of even heating surfaces. Other then the fact having a nice ass BBQ for aesthetic reasons.

The best BBQ comes from grills that have been used for years think of all the seasoning

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by spikerS
    Personally, I find that brand is pretty irrelevant. A lot of the BBQs out there share parts and such, and many of them are identical BBQs to other "inferior" ones, made by the same manufacturer, with a couple cosmetic changes, and a different name badge.

I say the biggest thing to look for is the grilling surface. I really like a ceramic grill, or a thick ceramic coating. Cast Iron is the best, but requires way more maintenance than most people are willing to put into it. next, I like as many burners as I can across the grilling surface, just to minimize cold spots. It takes a while to learn the grill surface for areas that cook faster than others, and where it is best for warming.

I know I am going to catch a LOT of flack for what I have posted, but this is what I have learned from buying $1200+ grilles to $50 grilles. I find for the average family, something in the $3-500 range is usually more than enough. My current Grille I bought from Walmart for $299 and I have had it for like 7 years now, and have packed it up and moved it all over the place to do events for 500+ people more times than I like to count.
    i agree with this 100%. I bbq almost every day year round, often for groups, and my $500 Kenmore from Sears has been great. Cast iron grill, 5 Burners + 1 Sear, side burner, and rotisserie.

On sale right now, and I think it is $50 cheaper for the propane, but go nat gas if you have the hookup, so nice never hauling bottles.

http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-...140512151625:s

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

How many of you guys actually use the side burner? I have never used one in ten years. Never used the rotiserie either.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    How many of you guys actually use the side burner? I have never used one in ten years. Never used the rotiserie either.
    I use the rotisserie a lot, side burner only when my stove top is full, for parties etc. Its nice cooking soups and stews outside in the summer too, keeps the heat out of the house.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I use mine all the time... To light the chimney full of charcoal so I can get my smoker going.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i bought a weber kettle a while back... and just cant go back to gas. best $200 spent ever, can smoke, grill, whatever. big enough to handle day to day meals and cheap enough that grabbing a second one for get togethers isnt a big deal. hell, if you time things right you can bang out a ton of food on just one. did a 16lb brisket, 14lbs pork shoulder, then some veggies and what not last stampede.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Less than a handful on the side burner, it's too windy 9 out of 10 days.

I use the rotisserie a lot for chicken, so evenly cooked and moist. I want my chicken now.

almost all decent grills are made by Canadian Company Onward (sterling, broil king, broil mate)

I know that they have various lines, but at the end of the day, all gas BBQs with a good cast iron grate and decent thickness of stainless is going to perform very close. (for decent Grills)

Dependant on budget I'd go with:

Broilmate/Sterling for "cheap-sub $400" grills
    Broil King for medium priced grills ($400-$700)
    Napeleon/Weber for high-end ($600-1200)

I myself use Charcoal, and I love Weber. Basic, simple and best design to maximize heat distribution and moisture.

Kamado's are awesome, but I haven't found them to give me any more of a better expereince.

I use Weber WSM(s) for smoking

Originally posted by lilmira
    Less than a handful on the side burner, it's too windy 9 out of 10 days.

I use the rotisserie a lot for chicken, so evenly cooked and moist. I want my chicken now.
    Our current BroilKing, which we bought at Barbeques Galore on Edmonton Trail, has no side burner. We maybe used the side burner twice on our old barbeque in the 12+ years that we owned it and figured it was a waste of time having it. Sales guy thought it was kind of odd for someone to want a barbeque with no side burner but respected our wishes any ways - why waste the money on something if you're not going to use it.

that's true, almost always its too lazy to even use it.

Ive only attempted to use it to make pho.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I have a Weber Genesis and I find it has some cold spots which are annoying. My parents have had a Weber for close to 25 years and I think the older ones are better quality than the current ones, but I suppose that's the case for most products these days.

If I were in the market, I would investigate one of those "big green egg" type bbq's. I'm not sure if the amount of effort to cook and maintain them is substantially more than a gas/propane bbq, but I have read they cook the food more evenly.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have heard feedback that the Big Steel Keg version is much cheaper, and has no drawbacks over the ceramic "egg" type.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast