Quantcast
Can my condo mgmt company let people into my home without me? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Can my condo mgmt company let people into my home without me?

Default Can my condo mgmt company let people into my home without me?

Quick question for you guys. Can my condo management company let a contractor I do not want in my home into my home while I am not there?

Long story short, I am STILL fighting with contractors 4 months after the "completion date" of my place due to hilariously bad workmanship. These contractors were hired by the condo's insurance company, and I don't want them doing any more work for me.

I know they can enter my unit for an emergency or whatever, but does a condo management company have authority to let people into my unit who I don't want in there? I own, not rent, if that matters. From what I can tell, the construction company is trying to set up meetings with the management company in my home without me, at times they know I will be away.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2014 at 10:41 AM.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Personally, I would say that sounds like trespassing if they haven't provided you written notice nor received your consent now that you have taken possession.

Unlike a rental situation where 24 hour written notice for entry is all that is really required - you own the suite and unless it's an emergency I don't believe they can do what you're asking.

If you have a lawyer I would give them a call and just ask what parameters are being violated --- maybe also review your contract --- I think they can come and go until work is completed and signed off on as completed but that is usually prior to possession from what I have seen.

I worked for a window company in a past life. If we needed access to site for something, we arranged it through the builder (single family or multifamily) - they granted us the contractor access. Once the owner took possession if we had any work to finish up or warranty work to do or whatever - we had to arrange that with the homeowner as we were told the builder could no longer give us access. Take that for what it's worth but to me it sounds like all the other parties involved are violating your home and privacy ... **Personal opinion not a legal opinion***
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

What does your unit bylaws state? It varies from condo to condo - also management company as well - some of the bad ones are notorious for this.

Im mine, they CANNOT enter without my consent unless its an emergency.

I appreciate your input.

I don't *think* they can enter my unit either, without an emergency reason, even if they give me notice.

The problem is I'm going on vacation, they know that, and they want to have meetings in my unit while they know I'm away after I've been jerked around for the last 4 months accommodating to their schedules, including their holidays.

I'll try find the bylaws when I am home, but so far it sounds promising. Thanks guys. My condo management company is pretty good, I'm not worried about them doing anything they shouldn't be, but I have every reason to be worried about the contractors.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I appreciate your input.

I don't *think* they can enter my unit either, without an emergency reason, even if they give me notice.

The problem is I'm going on vacation, they know that, and they want to have meetings in my unit while they know I'm away after I've been jerked around for the last 4 months accommodating to their schedules, including their holidays.

I'll try find the bylaws when I am home, but so far it sounds promising. Thanks guys. My condo management company is pretty good, I'm not worried about them doing anything they shouldn't be, but I have every reason to be worried about the contractors.
    Bylaw will say it all.

What building?

Originally posted by ee2k

Bylaw will say it all.

What building?
    I'll check the bylaws. I'd prefer to keep the details private until all my issues are worked out. This has been an incredible headache for me. It's not a big well known building.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Personally, I would get a PIN code door lock. Rekeying is too expensive after something like this drags on. I did this with my condo.

If you approve of the contractor, then give them the code. If they are "done" ... then change the code. If they need permission again they HAVE to consult you.

Time to set up a camera in your condo.

Originally posted by revelations
    Personally, I would get a PIN code door lock. Rekeying is too expensive after something like this drags on. I did this with my condo.

If you approve of the contractor, then give them the code. If they are "done" ... then change the code. If they need permission again they HAVE to consult you.
    Nobody has my keys anymore, but I know I will eventually have to give one to the management company.

I re-keyed my locks with MUL-T-LOCKs. They come with a special key that re-keys my lock simply by inserting said key, after which only that key works. When you have them installed, they take your photo, and the only place that can reproduce those keys are the locksmith I bought from, in person, accompanied by photo ID. So, if I ever lose a key, I just re-key my own lock in 2 seconds with the secondary key. It's a pretty slick system - perfect for people who have to occasionally give their key to other people, like anyone living in a condo. The keys can't be copied, and if you have any reason to worry a key was stolen, you just re-key your own lock with the secondary key.

They're not crazy expensive, and the lock itself is WAY better than the standard crap. I would recommend anyone in a condo scenario look into them. As for home owners, it doesn't do much good having an awesome lock if there is a window nearby haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Why exactly do you think they are having "Meetings" in your condo? I don't understand that bit.

What about setting up a home surveillance camera or something while you're gone?

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Why exactly do you think they are having "Meetings" in your condo? I don't understand that bit.

What about setting up a home surveillance camera or something while you're gone?
    I have a camera, and let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever bought. I finally have the proof I need to get a different company in there. I really don't want to get into it beyond that until things are resolved.

The meeting is to check out deficiencies for the millionth time, but I talked to them now and it's not going to happen so that's all good.

If anyone has a contractor working in your home that you don't completely trust, get a security camera (with audio), you likely won't regret it. It's unbelievable what goes on in people's homes when there is nobody there to supervise.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.

hidden camera or in plain site?

Originally posted by GQBalla
    hidden camera or in plain site?
    Plain sight, not something built into a clock or whatever.

As long as it isn't a toilet cam or something, you're good to go haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-14-2014 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I have a camera, and let me tell you it is the best thing I have ever bought. I finally have the proof I need to get a different company in there. I really don't want to get into it beyond that until things are resolved.

The meeting is to check out deficiencies for the millionth time, but I talked to them now and it's not going to happen so that's all good.

If anyone has a contractor working in your home that you don't completely trust, get a security camera (with audio), you likely won't regret it. It's unbelievable what goes on in people's homes when there is nobody there to supervise.
    Any recommendations on which camera? I bought one then realized it isn't directly reachable, but streams through Samsung. I would like one that does not let a third party watch/record me at home...

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Regardless of what your building bylaws say the Alberta Condominium Act would trump it if there was a discrepancy. The Act says:

24(6)A person is not entitled to enter a unit under subsection (5)
    unless
    (a) the notice is served on the owner of the unit or an adult
    person in possession of the unit at least 24 hours before
    the time of entry,
    (b) the entry is made on a day that is not
    (i) a holiday, except that the person may enter on a
    Sunday if the day of religious worship of the adult
    person in possession of the unit is not Sunday and
    that adult person has provided to the person wishing
    to enter the unit a written notice of that adult
    person’s day of religious worship, or
    (ii) the day of religious worship of the adult person in
    possession of the unit if that day is not Sunday and
    that person has provided to the person wishing to
    enter the unit a written notice of that day,
    and
    (c) the entry is between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m.
    (7) A notice under subsection (5) must
    (a) be in writing,
    (b) state the reason for the entry, and
    (c) name a date and time of entry that comply with subsection

Thanks frizzlefry, that is helpful. I couldn't find my bylaws yesterday.

I've since talked to them, it's not a big deal at all anymore, nobody's going to be coming into my unit without me present.

From what you posted though, it seems like they could just serve me with 24 hours, and knowing that I was away, just delay their entry by a day and I still wouldn't be present. I wouldn't be able to confirm receipt of the "written notice" though, perhaps that would be the catch there. I'm not sure how they would know if I've seen the written notice or not.

I guess the other complication too is that I don't care if my condo management goes in my unit, I care about the people they might bring with them into my unit (I.e. the shady contractors).

It's a non-issue anymore though for me, which is nice. Doesn't look like I have anything more to worry about there.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.