Quantcast
A few great TV series (USA/UK) I've been binge watching over the past six months. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: A few great TV series (USA/UK) I've been binge watching over the past six months.

Default A few great TV series (USA/UK) I've been binge watching.

Reminder: Portlandia starts Jan. 8, House of Lies Jan. 11, Better Call Saul Feb. 22, Game of Thrones April 12 (Correction made, thanks 01RedDX).

If you're a fan of high quality TV programs, you'll enjoy this lot. Cut and paste outlines and no spoilers:

Peaky Blinders (BBC UK Drama)

A gangster family epic set in 1919 Birmingham, Peaky Blinders centres on a gang who sew razor blades in the peaks of their caps, and their fierce boss Tommy Shelby, who means to move up in the world.

Count Aurther Strong (BBC UK Comedy)

Arthur is a faded star from the golden days of variety, prone to delusions of grandeur, selective memory loss and the blurting out of malapropisms. He was never as famous as he thinks he was... or still thinks he is. Believing that another great entertainment triumph is only a phone call away, Arthur spends his day making the most of any opportunity that comes along - gaining a free lunch or selling a dodgy foot-spa he doesn't want - creating chaos and confusion wherever he goes, blissfully unaware that he has done so.

The Leftovers (HBO USA Drama)

The Leftovers takes place three years after a global event in which many people disappeared, known as the "Sudden Departure", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 140 million people, 2% of the world's population. The story focuses primarily on the Garvey family and their acquaintances in the fictional town of Mapleton, New York.

Borgen (Danish Political Thriller)

Borgen is not House of Cards, all dark and conspiratorial. Nor is it as sunny and uplifting as The West Wing. It’s about the complexities and choices politicians must make in high office – what leaps from its scripts are real-life, in-your-face dilemmas.

Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-14-2015 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks for that.

With all the awesome programs that have come out lately, my time for constructive tasks has dramatically decreased

I'd also add Fargo, a TV series I ignored as I was certain they'd copy the hell out of the movie (which I think is solid). Fargo TV has tiny amusing references to the movie of the same name, you'd miss them if you've not seen the movie. So, it is a solid TV show, season two coming in the fall.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I'd also add Fargo, a TV series I ignored as I was certain they'd copy the hell out of the movie (which I think is solid). Fargo TV has tiny amusing references to the movie of the same name, you'd miss them if you've not seen the movie. So, it is a solid TV show, season two coming in the fall.
    +1

WAY superior to the movie in almost every way, gripping as hell, and filmed in Alberta to boot. I actually thought this series was right up there with The Wire in terms of best TV series ever. Apparently they're making a prequel to the series

Right in the middle of Peaky Blinders now...awesome show!!

My Ride
    EG6

I hate to admit it but Dr. Who is really good if you give it time...but there are some crap tactic episode too.
    If you get angry at my post please re-read as a joke or sarcasm.

My Ride
    2015 JGC SRT, 2011 Audi S5, MB CLS, 2015 HD RGS

Is Fargo on Netflix? I can't seem to find it anywhere to watch online.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Leftovers look pretty good

Default Re: A few great TV series (USA/UK) I've been binge watching over the past six months.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-02-2020 at 10:34 PM.

My Ride
    '11 Tundra TRD

I just burned through a season and half of "the 100" on Netflix. If you try and blur out a few scientific errors I found it really good. It reminds me of "lord of the flies" but with a tad bit more gruesome violence.

I'll have the check out peaky binders while 100 is in mid season.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

If you're a fan of drugs inc there is a new show called underworld inc. The first episode was pretty interesting I think you can watch it off the national geographic web site

I believe Suits is also back this month.

Also check out Broadchurch on Netflix. Great iTV drama.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

If you like english show, here is a great one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625724/

LOVE/HATE is a gritty crime drama based on Dublin's criminal underworld. It depicts the drug addiction, squalor and violence of organised crime that has grown in post-boom Ireland. Darren Treacy (Robert Sheehan) returns to Dublin from Spain, spending time there while trying to avoid the Garda in Ireland for gun possession. Darren's brother Robbie is released from Cloverhill prison. While waiting to be collected, Robbie is shot outside a newsagents in a drive by shooting. Catastrophic events ignite tension among the drug gang, and family, friends and the community must live with the consequences.
    - Written by Octagon Films

Check out "The Fall" BBC show set in Belfast. First season (of two) is on Netflix.

Starring Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan (guy who will be in 50 Shades of Grey...) They are both perfect for these roles IMO.

coped from IMDB:
    A psychological thriller that examines the lives of two hunters. One is a serial killer who stalks his victims in and around Belfast and the other is a talented female Detective Superintendent from the MET who is brought in to catch him.

Last edited by jaeden; 01-14-2015 at 12:55 AM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

The Leftovers is back for a 3rd season.
    Just as weird as the 2nd season.