Quantcast
Disabling an electronic device that's behind drywall - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Disabling an electronic device that's behind drywall

Default Disabling an electronic device that's behind drywall

Just wondering if someone has an idea on how I could disable or zap a smoke detector that is somewhere behind the drywall in my house. Battery is dying and I have a good idea where it is but would rather not have to repair many drywall holes.

Thought about an EMP device but do they really work?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Why not just do it properly and why on earth would there be a smoke detector in a wall. They go on the roof....

Get a stethoscope and go to the area where you think it is and listen for the beeps and pinpoint it.

I'll borrow a stethoscope and see what I can get to.
    It's on a heating bulkhead somewhere so it echos all over.
    I guess it was placed there accidentally and it's not like drywall crews care or look.
    They drywalled over a heating duct too.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

You could check if Home Depot or somewhere rents thermal imaging camera and the could see exactly where it is. Might be a good idea if they dry walled over heat vents as well to see other things

Home depot doesn't rent them but I'll find a place that does. Just not sure if it would show up. Or not.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Home depot doesn't rent them but I'll find a place that does. Just not sure if it would show up. Or not.
    No, it won't. The smoke detector is not a heat source and will be invisible. I have an IR camera for work and while it's useful for many things, it's not magic.

My Ride
    Hatred

Don't H-bombs disable electronics. Or Google how to make an EMP.
    -U

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by firebane
    Why not just do it properly and why on earth would there be a smoke detector in a wall. They go on the roof....
    The greatest prank ever done by a drywaller

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

This should become an interesting thread, could you set up mics and triangulate the sound

My Ride
    a really big tow vehicle

This is an awesome prank. I'll be sure to do this when I sell my house lol. Put them all over the place and wait a few years for the batteries to drain. It would drive a person nuts!
    1999 NBS Silverado 4x4 awaiting an extensive build.
    6" BDS Lift is in. 37" mud grapplers. Built trans(by me) 4.10's, shaved ls6 heads, comp cam. More to come.

My Ride
    Hatred

Yeah I bet if you stuck one in the cold air return you'd hear it everywhere.
    -U

My Ride
    Accord Coupe

Default Smoke detector

Wasn't this on an episode of Modern Family?

Originally posted by Darell_n

No, it won't. The smoke detector is not a heat source and will be invisible. I have an IR camera for work and while it's useful for many things, it's not magic.
    Depends on how sensitive the FLIR camera is. The one i had at my last job would measure up to 2000C and was sensitive enough to see footprints. I could see the studs through the wall because of how the heat distributed. Rapid temperature changes would cause the inward facing surfaces to cool/heat at a different rate than with attached wood acting as a "heat pipe".

That being said, id say the chances are slim that it would see it. Perhaps the differential temperature from the battery to its surroundings because heat is generated through he reaction.

You best bet would be to get a borescope or videoscope and start putting holes in the walls. 1/4" holes are MUCH easier to fill.

I took pictures before all the drywall went up. I've been going through them to see possible areas where a smoke detector might have been tossed. Really, ontop of the bulkhead is all I can find.

Been thinking about the FLIR camera. If I crank the heat and this plastic detector is ontop of it, should it not heat up as well, quicker than surrounding areas? It should have some sort of different heat characteristics than a stud or insulation.

I've borescoped as far as I could without drilling holes. My limiting factor was running into insulation. It's insulated like crazy to help prevent sound transferring from upstairs.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Could you use a smoke detector test spray or smoke machine to either help find it, or to set it off and simply let it scream until the battery is dead?

Originally posted by mr2mike
    It's insulated like crazy to help prevent sound transferring from upstairs.
    This.

I can't see how a camera or scope is a good idea considering the insulation. The stethoscope idea will be tedious and time consuming, but is probably the best way to go.

BTW- Shouldn't the builder be responsible for this?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by spike98

Depends on how sensitive the FLIR camera is. The one i had at my last job would measure up to 2000C and was sensitive enough to see footprints. I could see the studs through the wall because of how the heat distributed. Rapid temperature changes would cause the inward facing surfaces to cool/heat at a different rate than with attached wood acting as a "heat pipe".

That being said, id say the chances are slim that it would see it. Perhaps the differential temperature from the battery to its surroundings because heat is generated through he reaction.

You best bet would be to get a borescope or videoscope and start putting holes in the walls. 1/4" holes are MUCH easier to fill.
    This was what I was thinking when I suggested it. When we did my home inspection we could see every stud, even the nails in the studs, any gaps in insulation, etc.

It's not a heat source but it is a different material than its surroundings and should show a small differential in temperature as a result.