Quantcast
City Traffic Department Wants to Increase Playground Zones to be 7:30am until 9:00pm - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: City Traffic Department Wants to Increase Playground Zones to be 7:30am until 9:00pm

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by schocker

The idea is parents will get too annoyed to drive their kids so they will tell them to ride their bike instead
    Are you kidding me? Letting a child ride a bike on their own? That will land a parent in jail these days.

My Ride
    NC1

Whoa I can't believe this went through. Kids don't even play outside anymore. You have playground zones in odd places where I have never seen anyone. $700K+ to do this, awesome. Final numbers probably be a mill as nothing as is ever done on budget. What was so hard to understand before? Daylight=30. Darkness=50 lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by max_boost
    Whoa I can't believe this went through. Kids don't even play outside anymore. You have playground zones in odd places where I have never seen anyone. $700K+ to do this, awesome. Final numbers probably be a mill as nothing as is ever done on budget. What was so hard to understand before? Daylight=30. Darkness=50 lol
    But see here is the issue.. Define darkness? Are we talking pitch black? Moon up. Are we talking darkness at 7pm but still relatively light out?

Darkness is still very subjective to interpretation.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by firebane

Just like city council's intelligence.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by firebane

But see here is the issue.. Define darkness? Are we talking pitch black? Moon up. Are we talking darkness at 7pm but still relatively light out?

Seriously what was wrong with 1 hour after sunset. No cops were driving around and pulled a guy over to say: hey the sunset at 8:55pm today and it's 9:45pm right now, you were driving 45kms in a 30 zone. you aren't allowed to speed, consider this a warning.
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride

Playground zones are not much safer anyways IMO, this is stupid, Max boost has got it on point. Most people I see drive by in a playground zone use it as an opportunity to check their phones/ text as they have a false sense of safety since they are going 30 so it's safe .

It's funny how this got passed as majority of people I heard talk about this are opposed to it, including Nenchi suprisingly.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by max_boost
    What about weekends and summer? This simpleton thinking is why this went through.

I weep for the future of our country.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

What about weekends and summer? This simpleton thinking is why this went through.

I weep for the future of our country.
    I started weeping for the future when I see half the self entitled all mighty righteous people walking around.

It's not revenue generation because there is ZERO enforcement. The only place I've ever seen playground zone enforcement is on 14th Street NW right off of Country Hills Blvd, and on Elbow Drive. The 2 most irrelevant playground zones in the city where everyone blows through.

Well I have both Lidar and Photo Radar tickets from playground zones (sign was behind an untrimmed tree and playground was nowhere remotely close, so I got owned). There are a few in the deep SW where I see CPS regularly set up as well. They often use their newer Explorers with the roof mounted flashes, I've seen their vehicle numerous times and now I know better haha. Last time was a School zone though, not a playground zone, if memory serves me.

The fact that CPS would set up in the most irrelevant zones that nobody obeys would suggest it may have been placed for revenue generation, no? I know that isn't the sole reason for them, but a lot of them are an absolute joke with regards to how far away they are from the playground...sure makes you wonder.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-23-2014 at 04:19 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

We will just make our own stickers for far less than $167000 and change them all to CPS Revenue zones

My Ride
    old Toyotas

ugh can't believe this went through. And the mayor was the only one who voted against it. Shows how dumb this council is. Till 9 pm year round is just stupid. If your kids playing outside in the winter at 9 when it goes dark at 6 then I don't think your a good parent.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Originally posted by codetrap
    I see them quite regularly in the two playground zones in Coventry Hills on Coventry Hills Way & Country Village Rd, as well on Coventry Drive NE.
    Can count the number of times I've seen them at the playground zone by the big fields on Coventry Drive on one hand in 12 years of living here. Someone must of complained last year because they did a big blitz in the summer-4 out of the 5 times I saw them there lol.

[url]

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Just get it over with and reduce all residential speed limits to 30 km/hr.
    It's coming-this is just the phasing in period to gauge public feedback.
    The pussification of society continues.....

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by ianmcc
    Just get it over with and reduce all residential speed limits to 30 km/hr.
    It's coming-this is just the phasing in period to gauge public feedback.
    The pussification of society continues.....
    We can't let it happen though
    drivecalgary.org is a pretty powerful lobby currently

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by black13
    If your kids playing outside in the winter at 9 when it goes dark at 6 then I don't think your a good parent.
    If your kids need a playground zone because they run into the streets without looking for cars, I don't think you're a good parent.

If your kids are too young to understand that roads and cars are dangerous, and you let them run into the street and need a playground zone to protect them, you're an even worse parent.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

If your kids need a playground zone because they run into the streets without looking for cars, I don't think you're a good parent.

If your kids are too young to understand that roads and cars are dangerous, and you let them run into the street and need a playground zone to protect them, you're an even worse parent.
    Personal accountability - optional in calgary
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ exactly -

Folks, the city council is an unfortunate reflection of the citizens of this city. Obviously there are too many Mrs. Lovejoys in the community as the last iota of common sense, regarding this issue, is gone. The council will reflect the same sad mentality.

I look forward to driving through pitch black, abandoned play ground zones in -30c, at 6pm in January

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by bignerd
    Can count the number of times I've seen them at the playground zone by the big fields on Coventry Drive on one hand in 12 years of living here. Someone must of complained last year because they did a big blitz in the summer-4 out of the 5 times I saw them there lol.
    It wasn't due to a complaint specifically, it was because a little kid got hit.

I seem to recall that enforcement on playground zones in the burbs is typically driven by the community directly. They get a few complaints, and they schedule a few days of enforcement. Up in Coventry, I've never see a photo radar, it's always an officer, and I've seen them standing there chewing guys out. The last time, it was a dude in a truck/landscaping trailer who blew past me at the Nose Creek School one during a dual playground / school zone time... the cop was MAD.. I thought they were flagging down me at first as I was on my bike.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^ That is like the one kid who crossed infront of the bus and got hit by a car that brought forth the two alderman calling for the bus arm thing to be enacted in the city

I could drive around a corner and get a ticket for being too close to the bus

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I have seen more adults stumbling onto the road than kids especially in the downtown, beltline area. I propose all year adult zone, 5k/h max. I think of the adults.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast