Quantcast
City Traffic Department Wants to Increase Playground Zones to be 7:30am until 9:00pm - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: City Traffic Department Wants to Increase Playground Zones to be 7:30am until 9:00pm

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Its a mixed bag in the neighborhood I live in.

Some people slow down.. Some people don't.

The most ironic thing is there has been a ghost truck sitting in the PARK zone but not the SCHOOL zone and those dumb shits can be seen from miles away.

The CPS has Multinova SUVs that are clad completely in yellow that they put in obvious spots... and people still speed next to them.

Also sometimes even with the ghost vehicles they'll put their hazards on... and people will still speed...

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Never seen one of those in yellow. But those explorers are pretty obvious. They use a really, really weak K-Band signal. My V1 doesn't pick it up beforehand and only for about 20 feet (full strength) after passing. On Richmond road by Western Pride car wash there is a lower speed community street that runs parallel to Richmond road. The old multinova vans (used a stronger KA band) could park legally on the far side of that road along with others and nail people on Richmond. The new explorers with all the photo shit strapped to the roof rack have to park illegally on the side closest to Richmond in order to nail people.

I tend to drive in the lanes furthest from the side of the road now

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

that bastard got me on Richmond road

For me the only noticeable side-effect of this change has been that more and more people are going 30 through school zones on weekends.

Way to go on reducing that confusion, CoC!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    For me the only noticeable side-effect of this change has been that more and more people are going 30 through school zones on weekends.

Way to go on reducing that confusion, CoC!
    This is what was initially happening too. Once the school zones were converted to playground zones, people just starting ignoring them completely unless it was during school pickup/dropoff times. 5pm, everyone is driving 50 through them because you can clearly see there's nobody around at all.

The only school zone converted to playground zone that I've seen people drive 30 in all the time is 53rd street NW in Varsity, and that's because there's a multinova there half the time.

All the school zones I drive through in the NW has been converted. The Arbour Lake ones are hilarious, there's 6 playground zone signs per side of the road through the zone. No clue why they need so many signs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by speedog
    BTW, none of the school zones I regularly go through have been converted to playground zones so one can still do 50kph on weekends.
    I don't see them getting them all converted in the next 2 months, I still see a ton of school zones.

Council also allocated funds to convert all school zones to playground zones in 2015. The City of Calgary will start this transition from school zones to playground zones in August 2015 and complete the work no later than the end of 2015.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

Here is my checklist:

Kids in park? Yes-slow down No-maintain speed
    Cops out? Yes-slow down No-maintain speed

Most of the time its a double no and I just go right through at the same speed I was before. I am a huge fan of "when children are present" playground zones but I dont think we will ever see those in Calgary.

I am noticing a ton of people slowing down in school zones on weekends. I just speed past them. Its probably more dangerous now then it was before all the changes (for vehicle accidents, not accidents involving children).
    Signature..... I ate it!!

You all do know children are our future?

Frankly, every school could lose a kid in an accident every odd year and keep them learning an important lesson in physics and general safe zones. In grade five I witnessed my buddy (his fault) get clipped by a car, bodies do fly. He was fine after a week in hospital. I don't jaywalk or cross on red lights ever since.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    You all do know children are our future?

Frankly, every school could lose a kid in an accident every odd year and keep them learning an important lesson in physics and general safe zones. In grade five I witnessed my buddy (his fault) get clipped by a car, bodies do fly. He was fine after a week in hospital. I don't jaywalk or cross on red lights ever since.
    I've said this before, but in 20 years of driving, the only kids I've ever seen jaywalking and running out in front of cars in a school zone, are the ones who have their parents dragging them by the arm into traffic

Kids are smart, parents are dumb.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I've said this before, but in 20 years of driving, the only kids I've ever seen jaywalking and running out in front of cars in a school zone, are the ones who have their parents dragging them by the arm into traffic

Kids are smart, parents are dumb.
    I almost SMOKED a kid coming around a corner in a school zone because he was running across the street. But less than 5 feet from where he was crossing was a CROSSWALK.

If he had waited at the crosswalk and checked for traffic it would have been much wiser.

Not all kids are taught well.

My Ride
    Z

I speed through the one by my house on weekends. No park in sight (you literally can't see it from the road, it's behind the school and behind 2 chain link fences), no cars, and no people whatsoever. Sooooo stupid
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Is sticking out your arm and waiting not a thing anymore? I always did that as a kid.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    Is sticking out your arm and waiting not a thing anymore? I always did that as a kid.
    LOL this would be on the parents to teach this and oddly enough I was at a cross walk and a kid did just that. I waved and smiled at him for being so polite and proper.

Can we focus on what really matters?
    People who don't turn on their lights (not all auto lights out your tail lights on) and people who don't signal?
    *bear poked*

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    People who don't turn on their lights (not all auto lights out your tail lights on) and people who don't signal?
    *bear poked*
    oh snap ..... (agree 100%)

People who don't turn on their lights (not all auto lights out your tail lights on)
    Can someone please explain this one to me? All new cars since god knows when have had to have DTRL right from the factory, imported cars have to have them retrofitted. But for some reason it's possible for these same cars to be driving around at night with no tail lights Seriously, dash lights on, head lights on, no tail lights How on earth has this not been addressed?

I've rolled my window down to let people know they don't have their tail lights on, I bet it's a hundred people now, not a single one has any clue what I'm talking about, "they're not?" Is the usual response, most then fumble around the stalk to find a switch and 9 times out of ten pull away with them still off. On occasion someone will say "they must be broken"

Would it be that big of a problem to just have the tail lights on all the time like DTRL, am I missing something?
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

*bear poked*
    If only there was a 'new thread' button to start a new discussion

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Can someone please explain this one to me? All new cars since god knows when have had to have DTRL right from the factory, imported cars have to have them retrofitted. But for some reason it's possible for these same cars to be driving around at night with no tail lights Seriously, dash lights on, head lights on, no tail lights How on earth has this not been addressed?

I've rolled my window down to let people know they don't have their tail lights on, I bet it's a hundred people now, not a single one has any clue what I'm talking about, "they're not?" Is the usual response, most then fumble around the stalk to find a switch and 9 times out of ten pull away with them still off. On occasion someone will say "they must be broken"

Would it be that big of a problem to just have the tail lights on all the time like DTRL, am I missing something?
    Odd, every GM vehicle I've owned for the last 24 years has had a light sensor on the dash that automatically turns on the regular headlights and tail/running lights when it reaches a certain darkness threshold.

Sure catches me off guard when I drive a non-GM made vehicle that doesn't have this auto-lighting feature - just seems like such an inexpensive thing to put on a vehicle and yet many vehicles still don't come with this.

My Ride

Originally posted by speedog

Odd, every GM vehicle I've owned for the last 24 years has had a light sensor on the dash that automatically turns on the regular headlights and tail/running lights when it reaches a certain darkness threshold.

Sure catches me off guard when I drive a non-GM made vehicle that doesn't have this auto-lighting feature - just seems like such an inexpensive thing to put on a vehicle and yet many vehicles still don't come with this.
    The original sentinel (GM) auto-headlight modules had a tenancy to malfunction and drain the battery with the key off. It turned a lot of people off of auto-headlights at the time.

I loved it on my '89 Pontiac. I wish it came standard on more cars.

Now while we are talking about headlights.... why do some people like to use brights everywhere in the city?

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast