Quantcast
Natural gas line for BBQ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Natural gas line for BBQ

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Natural gas line for BBQ

Is there a standard threading size used for natural gas lines? My mom lives in a newly built house and there's one of those threaded "plugs" (for a lack of a better word) immediately after the shut off valve on her patio.

I bought her a BBQ that I'm going up to build later this week and I want to make sure I have all the parts before I head up there.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: Natural gas line for BBQ

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Is there a standard threading size used for natural gas lines? My mom lives in a newly built house and there's one of those threaded "plugs" (for a lack of a better word) immediately after the shut off valve on her patio.

I bought her a BBQ that I'm going up to build later this week and I want to make sure I have all the parts before I head up there.
    You will almost certainly have to buy a valve. (Please make sure you have a valve, bbq's always leak).

I actually had issues with mine and had to get thread adapters for my half inch line from the house. Also would recommend the use of gas rated thread tape when you install the fitting (costs almost nothing).

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't read your post. You already said you have a valve....

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I guess my question wasn't clear: Is there a standard threading size used for natural gas lines and if so, what is it?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:16 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Not to hijack but it's a similar question. If I want to have my BBQ and/or fire pit (looking at a natural gas fire bowl for the deck) can I just run a flexible line from the house fitting under the deck to the desired place?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Not to hijack but it's a similar question. If I want to have my BBQ and/or fire pit (looking at a natural gas fire bowl for the deck) can I just run a flexible line from the house fitting under the deck to the desired place?
    I believe you can end up with freezing issues when you try the run the pipe up the deck. The liquid condenses out of the gas in low spots which your flexible pipe will create. I believe that's why the fitting coming out of the house has to be horizontal.

This is why your are TECHNICALLY supposed to have a licensed fitter do the work as apply for a permit. If you screw up and blow up your house then the insurance company won't cover you without a permit.

My Ride
    o_O

Chances are it is a 1/2" valve.
    The plug usually has a little inscription on it that will tell you the size. Depending on what size NG hookup your mother's barbecue has, you may need to bring a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer to hook up to the quick disconnect.

As for running a rubber NG hose under your deck to your coupler. Technically speaking, you shouldn't do it as those rubber hoses can be easily punctured and it certainly isn't code. Of course, having said that, I have seen people do it, and what you do in your home is your business.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by killramos

I believe you can end up with freezing issues when you try the run the pipe up the deck. The liquid condenses out of the gas in low spots which your flexible pipe will create. I believe that's why the fitting coming out of the house has to be horizontal.

This is why your are TECHNICALLY supposed to have a licensed fitter do the work as apply for a permit. If you screw up and blow up your house then the insurance company won't cover you without a permit.
    Thanks, will speak to someone and see how to do it properly. Don't care if I have to get a fitter to come out for the day, just want to avoid paying one coming out if a flexible line was safe.

Thanks guys

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    They usually don't even bother to state the threading on the coupler because it's standard, but (I think) it's 1/2.

Originally posted by wiph
    The plug usually has a little inscription on it that will tell you the size. Depending on what size NG hookup your mother's barbecue has, you may need to bring a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer to hook up to the quick disconnect.
    Thanks guys!

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Default Re: Re: Natural gas line for BBQ

Originally posted by killramos
    You will almost certainly have to buy a valve. (Please make sure you have a valve, bbq's always leak).
    What do you mean they always leak? I leak check mine every year and so far nothing... I imagine that a leak would mean big baddda boom?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Default Re: Re: Re: Natural gas line for BBQ

Originally posted by codetrap
    What do you mean they always leak? I leak check mine every year and so far nothing... I imagine that a leak would mean big baddda boom?
    No it would probably dissipate for the same reason it leaks, but i still dont like the idea of a POTENTIAL pocket of gas building up near where i light something on fire. Its also a potential waste of gas. Think costs associated with leaking toilet.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by wiph
    You can buy 1/2 inch QD,, my Napoleon came with one. There are alot of flow benefits to keeping the system at 1/2" the whole way. Some of the bigger grills actually need the diameter to reach full BTU's. Especially on methane.