Quantcast
Over Ear Headphone Ideas - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Over Ear Headphone Ideas

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Over Ear Headphone Ideas

I have been looking into some over ear closed back headphones to use with my laptop/computer. I already have a gaming headset so it needs no mic. I was reading some reviews and see that audio technica looks pretty good and that I can get the ATH-M50s for $150. This is about the top of my budget for these. Doesn't necessarily have to be portable as they would be mostly used a home. i like the straight cable available. I see there is an M50x now with 3 different cables which is pretty nice but at a premium of $40 over the older m50s.

Does anyone have any input on similar headphones maybe sennheiser, but I haven't had the best experience with their buds always breaking.

Thanks

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I hear Beats by Dre are good.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    335i

Might want to look at the Sony 7506s and Senn HD280s?
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Grimace

Those senns look pretty nice. Also looks like the Shure SRH840 looks a bit bigger than the 7xx so that might work also.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

I don't have any experience with gaming gear, but I enjoy the hell out of my Bose QuietComfort 3 noise-canceling headphones. I have used them everywhere from spectating at race tracks to working on (using) my yard tractor, to passenging on airplanes to listening to music while working at my PC. They cut out the majority of the outside noise and have a cord which will let you plug them in to almost anything.. and being Bose, they're pretty good at delivering quality audio.

My Ride
    W204

I have no yet tried the ATH-M50 but from what I hear, people like them because they have a good price to performance ratio. But in terms of sound quality, these are only starter cans and also have really high clamping force (bad). Basically one guy went to these from Beats, put on a good review, and they've since gone viral in a sense.

My current price/performance king set of cans is easily the Logitech UE6000. NCIX has the white one for $99:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/logitech-...92143-1767.htm

Or if you hate white, black is $30 more:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/logitech-...92142-1359.htm

These used to be a bit over $200.

The noise cancelling is not very strong (nothing like Bose which BTW gives me a headache), and unlike Beats, can be used in passive or active mode. The sound signature of passive mode is neutral and accurate, while in active/amp'ed mode, it is 'strong'. I personally like the active mode much more though the bass can be a tad much in the 80-100hz range. But otherwise, the sound is extremely pleasing and at $99, nothing under $300 can touch it. And most importantly, they are stupidly comfortable.

Inner Fidelity has a spot on review of them:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...000-and-ue9000

Edit: BTW if you're downtown, I am more than happy to meet up at lunch or something with you so you can test these. I also have a bunch of cans ranging from $30 - $1,800 that you can try out just to compare.

I'll add that I *DO* have a pair of unopened Senn 280 pros for sale, brand new. And I do have a pair of SRH840 that you can try (which the UE6000s handily beat BTW).
    Last edited by clem24; 05-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

sweet, thanks ordered the logitechs. For the price and based on that review you cannot go wrong. Went with the white ones.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Grimace

Totally forgot about this thread
    Those UE's look like a good deal. I have been looking at the M50X lately due to the three cables at $190.
    Do you have to use the batteries all the time though on the UE's, sounds like if you aren't doing noise canceling it works as an amp and if I didn't use the batteries to keep the weight down as they are quite heavy. Does it sound still good I guess without the battery?

The 280s though look like a good option also like the SRGH840s. Too many to choose from, it is very overwhelming.

Right now I am just using the following for PC as I use it when I want to use MIC, but could probably use these new ones for music and games as I have a shared wall so when it is later I have to listen to everything super quiet.
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-d...r-force-x12/56

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I bought the UE's based on clem's suggestions and they rock. The only thing I don't like is the power light is so small that I constant leave them on and the next time I use them I come back to dead batteries.

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by schocker
    Totally forgot about this thread
    Those UE's look like a good deal. I have been looking at the M50X lately due to the three cables at $190.
    Do you have to use the batteries all the time though on the UE's, sounds like if you aren't doing noise canceling it works as an amp and if I didn't use the batteries to keep the weight down as they are quite heavy. Does it sound still good I guess without the battery?

The 280s though look like a good option also like the SRGH840s. Too many to choose from, it is very overwhelming.

Right now I am just using the following for PC as I use it when I want to use MIC, but could probably use these new ones for music and games as I have a shared wall so when it is later I have to listen to everything super quiet.
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-d...r-force-x12/56
    That's what's great about the UE's - can be used either in passive or active mode. They are not heavy at all with the batteries in; I can easily wear them all day long. And they're AAA's, so they're not heavy at all. As for active vs. passive mode, I myself prefer active mode but passive mode is more accurate. I find active mode makes the cans more engaging and fun to listen to but do wish that the mid bass was toned down just a little.

I've heard some of the Turtle Beach stuff and no offense but they are absolute shit. Not only that but they are also insanely uncomfortable and very cheaply built.

London Drugs carries Audio Technica, not sure if they have the M50s but you might be able to get a feel for their comfort.

Anyway yeah like I said I have a pair of 280s if you want those and they are brand new and will be less than what you'd pay for in store. And you are more than welcome to try out the UE's.

VWEvo you won't be disappointed!
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Those UE6000 look pretty good for the price!

Anyone ever order anything from Hookbag.ca? They have the UE6000 black ones for $114.85... I've priced matched them at Memory Express before but I've never heard of them!! haha

hookbag.ca - Logitech UE6000
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Integra Type R

memex isnt gonna price beat hookbag, i've tried before
    wh...?

Originally posted by jav_
    That's funny they've price matched from hookbag for me...

Memex doesn't carry the UE6000s so I'm just wondering if hookbag is legit...

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by ipeefreely

That's funny they've price matched from hookbag for me...

Memex doesn't carry the UE6000s so I'm just wondering if hookbag is legit...
    Looks like hookbag.ca used to be onhop.ca:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anybo...efore-1135581/

I think you'd have to approach hookbag like Soundsaround - expect the best price but if something goes wrong, you're on your own. I don't think I'd have a problem with it.. I ordered a bunch of shit from onhop.ca before they went down and never had issues.

FYI, the cheapest that the cans went for was $70 for the white version and $80 for the black ones around Boxing Day.

My Ride
    Grimace

Just price match hookbag to ncix so you don't have to worry. Shipping is a little bit less with NCIX also $10vs $13

Cool! Thanks guys!
    I just have decide if I want to buy them...
    I guess I could wait if they go for $80 around Boxing Day!

Originally posted by clem24
    Looks like hookbag.ca used to be onhop.ca:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/anybo...efore-1135581/

I think you'd have to approach hookbag like Soundsaround - expect the best price but if something goes wrong, you're on your own. I don't think I'd have a problem with it.. I ordered a bunch of shit from onhop.ca before they went down and never had issues.

FYI, the cheapest that the cans went for was $70 for the white version and $80 for the black ones around Boxing Day.
    Originally posted by schocker
    Just price match hookbag to ncix so you don't have to worry. Shipping is a little bit less with NCIX also $10vs $13

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by jav_
    Speaking of which.. If I can avoid the price matching game, I will. Memex is so full of shit. I submitted a price match online for in store pick up, they ok'ed then, and then when I got to the store, they refused it. Why? Because it was Newegg.ca, and to get the price, you just had to apply a coupon code that was displayed right underneath the price (i.e. code available to everyone). They just downright refused. Not only that but the guy was a complete dick (and I even called him that hahaha). So fuck price matching unless it's at least over $15-20. Just not worth my time.

And FS and BB ain't any better. Sometimes, not being pissed off and not having the rest of my day ruined is actually worth $10.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^ That sounds stupid. I thought coupons are allowed as per their most recent policy. I think I end up price matching everything though, bought a mouse on tuesday for $10 off

My Ride
    RSX-S

I have the audio technica M50 with the straight cord. do not buy the straight cord unless your DJ'ing or something, its unbearably long!! another complaint is the comfort of these cans, i use these in the office and it still gets sweaty around the ears after ~30 minutes of use.

sounds wise, the M50 is phenomenal. base is super tight and doesn't bleed over, mids all sound the same to me but the high's are just amazing. i recommend getting a portable amp for these, impedance is quite high so it sounds a bit under powered coming from an iphone. put these things on a receiver that can give higher output and you'll really see it shine.

my co-worker has the bower and wilkins and we both agree the audio technica is superior. another co-worker has the B&O which i find better but its quite a bit more expensive.

Wow , already arrived today. Very nice sounds. For the money these UE6000 cant be beat.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

Page 1 of 12 1 2 11 ... LastLast