Quantcast
Possible video card issue??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Possible video card issue???

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

Default Possible video card issue???

So my wife was on my computer last night and the monitor went all funky and turned the screen blue(not blue screen of death).
    When I got home I restarted it and windows would load for 1 sec then go to this blue screen. I formatted my HD, installed a new copy of windows and it would boot up no problem. Downloaded some updates until I got to the video card driver. Now the issue. I install the video card driver and everything goes back to how it was. Windows loads for a sec then this blue screen. I can use safe mode to reset it before the driver and no problems. The thing that makes sense in my head is before the driver it is using the default setting and once I install the driver it is using the video card properly. Am I correct in thinking this is a video card issue?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Could be lots of things. Motherboard, hard drive, graphics card, power supply etc.

Unless you have the equipment to test all this take it into a shop.

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

Originally posted by firebane
    Could be lots of things. Motherboard, hard drive, graphics card, power supply etc.

Unless you have the equipment to test all this take it into a shop.
    How can it be everything when all I am changing is the video card driver. If I don't install the driver I can do everything fine.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by three33

How can it be everything when all I am changing is the video card driver. If I don't install the driver I can do everything fine.
    Bad memory or hard drive can corrupt drivers same as motherboard.

Bad power supply provides bad power to the GPU not allowing it to work properly.

Since you just recently formatted and installed windows recently, I'd suggest doing it again. Don't update the video card driver and see how long that lasts for. It might not be the video card itself, it could just be a driver issue.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by bulaian
    It might not be the video card itself, it could just be a driver issue.
    Yeah, i'm gonna guess it doesn't like the version OP is downloading, OP is it the latest and greatest driver for your GPU and not some beta?

Whether you're ATI or Geforce they have auto detect available through their specific app (Catalyst and Experience iirc) or from their website.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

What Video Card?
    Are you using DVI or an Analog connection? Does it go blue screen after the windows logo or before?
    Does your Monitor go into no signal mode (amber or red light).

Try booting into your Bios and checking a few settings. These settings are not on all PC's and not knowing what computer you have im gonna just list common fixes.

In the Bios Make sure plug and play is enabled (should be by default but you never know) and that if the computer has onboard video that its set to PCI/PEG (not vise versa)

Try installing an older version of the video drivers.

If this problem persists after all these there is a great chance that your GPU is on the way south or is already there. The stock VGA Drivers do not address the GPU's onboard memory (someone correct me if im wrong) so that is possibly the reason why it works with the stock VGA drivers but not drivers made for the card.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by n1zm0

Yeah, i'm gonna guess it doesn't like the version OP is downloading, OP is it the latest and greatest driver for your GPU and not some beta?

Whether you're ATI or Geforce they have auto detect available through their specific app (Catalyst and Experience iirc) or from their website.
    Older Geforce cards were known for the wonderful no display issue after upgrading. However those problems were fixed by running driver sweeper and doing a fresh install.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

Hopefully I have answers to all the questions.

1. I tried downloading the lateset driver off the ati site as well as 4 different third party sites.

2. the card I have is a ati hd 7870

3. From the research I have done there's 2 main drivers for my card. 1 new and 1 old. The old one not having any of the .net framework attached to it. Both drivers cause issues.

4. I am using a dvi for my main connection. The issue affect both my dvi and hdmi out connections.

5. Windows will load fully. Start menu, desktop, mouse all there then after like 2-5 seconds(its always random) it goes a light blue color. No error codes or anything.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by three33
    Hopefully I have answers to all the questions.

1. I tried downloading the lateset driver off the ati site as well as 4 different third party sites.

2. the card I have is a ati hd 7870

3. From the research I have done there's 2 main drivers for my card. 1 new and 1 old. The old one not having any of the .net framework attached to it. Both drivers cause issues.

4. I am using a dvi for my main connection. The issue affect both my dvi and hdmi out connections.

5. Windows will load fully. Start menu, desktop, mouse all there then after like 2-5 seconds(its always random) it goes a light blue color. No error codes or anything.
    And without knowing the other half of your system we still can't help you.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Try running driver sweeper. I have a feeling it's ATI Caraylst that's causing the issue.

Win XP?
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    09 CSRT4

Sorry the rest of my system is a msi z77a-45 mb...8g ram..1 128g ssd and 1 1tb hd...650w power sup

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Go into safe mode and then into the registry and disable ULPS

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control \\Cl ass\\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

Change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.

If that doesn't work use driver sweeper to remove the driver and reboot. Then install Caraylst and do not install the hdmi audio driver, disable it in the setup.

Believe it or not the is about 20 different reasons for this when it comes to ATI cards.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me