Quantcast
Sprocket upgrade -1 +2 - 520 review - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sprocket upgrade -1 +2 - 520 review

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Default Sprocket upgrade -1 +2 - 520 review

Overall impressions:
    -Minor low end torque increase
    -The powerband is smoother and the lower rpm throttle has very little hesitation before it enters a powerband

How does the power feel:
    Most of the increase feeling of speed I would attribute to being higher in the revs in any given gear rather than extra torque from the size of the sprockets.

Highway cruising:
    Noticeably higher rpm on the highway, but nothing to be concerned about.

Stop and go traffic:
    Much easier to navigate through without having to be in the correct gear, powering around a bit low in the revs is much better.

Worth the price:
    I would say yes, for my bike this is a good mod that's worth the cash. It's going to buy me a season or two before I need more power and more torque.

To me it feels like the bike is about 5% faster or so.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

Speedo healer cost was $138.59 shipped

The rest cost me $179.75 shipped

$318.34 shipped total.

Bike: '03 R6

Why did I choose to go this route?

-Speedo is not accurate, bugs me. thus speedo healer
    -Chain history is unknown and is just smart to replace
    -Bike lacks that low end around the town grunt that I hope can be helped by a sprocket kit

It's mostly a daily bike in town and not far from the city so I don't need the low rpm highway final drive.

Just one of those things I found out you can do and life is too short to not try new things.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 06-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Or......., you could have bought a Triumph Daytona 675 and had all the low end & midrange you could possibly want...... with bone stock gearing.....just sayin.

No Ive ridden several R6's, and like all the other Jap 600's, low end power is about as common as pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Im glad your liking the improvement. For my 675, I went +1 and -4 in the back, and it still picks up like a *raped* ape on PCB at 1200RPM plus, but its a lot better on the highway. Too bad you had to buy a speedo healer, you can change the speedo setting on mine with a mere ECU tweek, it costs all of nothing too, and its very easy to do.
    All in all, all those mods you had to do on yours would have cost $0.00 with my bike.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-27-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I was going to say something similar, just not nearly as rude, haha.

I hope the sprockets make enough of a difference that you don't need to consider a different bike, but it sounds like you're riding the wrong bike for your usage.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I have thought a lot about that point you both bring up about choosing a better platform.

I just put on a new front tire, I actually enjoy the feel of my bike and I'm getting more comfortable all the time. I don't want to abandon the platform just yet.

I want to give this bike at least the rest of this season and one more season before I seriously look at selling and using my experience to find the perfect bike. I'm still doing test rides and looking around at what else is out there.

My biggest complaint with the current powerband is there is a bit of a lag before you get dive into the power and I want that lag to happen lower down and go away faster, the sprocket kit is worth a shot.

I'll keep you posted in the next couple weeks when I get it all installed.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride

^ Let me know, as much as I absolutely love mine, Im very tempted to part ways with it, since I want a cruiser or a more comfortable bike, such as a Thruxton or a Bonneville.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    I was going to say something similar, just not nearly as rude, haha.

I hope the sprockets make enough of a difference that you don't need to consider a different bike, but it sounds like you're riding the wrong bike for your usage.
    Rudeness? = truth hahaha. Lol he knew it when he took mine for a ride. After owning the Trumpet, Jap bikes literally disappear on my radar. I have nothing to gain by owning or riding one. Dont get me wrong, the new R1 with its planar crank gives me a hard on, but thats literally it.
    Asides from that one feature, Id have not a single reason to touch anything made by them short black haired folk.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-27-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

And how much are you selling your 675 for?

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

I sold mine for 4 k. It's so small and awkwardly shaped I couldn't get comfortable on the thing.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride

I dont know. Make me an offer. PM me your digits and I can swing by with it at some point. Its a gorgeous bike, there is photos of it in the bike section of the members rides....
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...M/P7280025.jpg

Im just sick of having a sport bike without a track, it makes little sense if you plan on long rides in the country like I do.
    I'll ALWAYS miss putting my knee down around corners, but.....

I am in the market for a bike Graham, budget is most likely going to be topped out around 5 though. Let me know if you decide to sell.

Sorry to hijack

My Ride

^ Well you can check mine out and let me know, PM me your number and we'll go from there.
    There are few people that have taken better care of theirs then I have, Amsoil/Motul/Royal Purple oil changes every 3k, always shedded, never redlined, and the services were always done before they were due. I have full documentation from Blackfoot.
    No its an amazing bike, it gets a SHIT TON of attention, I've met countless people that Im still friends with today because of it, its just an absolute blast, but since I plan on going to the west coast of Cali with a bike this summer, that isn't exactly the first choice in comfort for full day rides.

Originally posted by ddduke

I sold mine for 4 k. It's so small and awkwardly shaped I couldn't get comfortable on the thing.
    To me its not awkwardly shaped, its just significantly skinnier then the jap 600's & 1000's. It rides like a scalpel in the twisties. Its like a Ninja 300, but with boatloads more performance, and all the mid-range of a liter bike. My personal best time at Race city was a 1:30 with it, not bad for a pretty much bone stock sport bike, and Im no racer either with it.

Wanna know whats nuts? Your engaged to my cousin, Jamie. LOL.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 05-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Updated the original post with a short review (impressions).

Speedo healer is not installed yet (saturday) so my speed is way off.

New question, how do my factory sprockets look? Should I keep them or toss them?

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version
    Last edited by Modelexis; 06-04-2014 at 08:30 PM.

My Ride

While your engine output shaft sprocket (smaller) is visibly worn (given the tilt of the teeth) the rear looks to be in good usable shape, so I wouldn't toss the rear at all. The front is toast so Id toss that in the metal recycling bin, but the rear is fine.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

How many K on your set?

I just replaced my OEM chain, had 48,400KM on it. (R6 as well)

For changing gearing, do you think you're not in the right gear? Keep her down low a bit more!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

^^ If you wanna take my bike out and see how it rides feel free to hit me up sometime and you can see if you notice a difference.

The bike has 41,000kms but I don't know if the sprockets are original or if they've been replaced in the past.

I'm conscious of the fact that the rpm will be higher in each gear so I don't have any issues knowing what gear I'm in. 6th gear has a slightly different ratio than 5th so you can tell when you're in top gear fairly easily.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 06-05-2014 at 12:03 AM.

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

The rear is beat too, throw them both in the metal recycling bin.
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Yeah, I might just throw away the old ones, they take up valuable room and they're not too expensive to just buy new if the next owner wants to go back to stock.

Speedo Healer is installed and functioning 100%
    I didn't install the top speed recall, too much of a gimmick for me to justify running wires all over the bike.

Before the healer my speedo was reading 116km/h @ 100km/h GPS

Now:
    100km/h reading is 99km/h GPS
    left myself 1km/h error room
    100km/h is 7000rpm
    120km/h is 7500rpm

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Graham, have you ever used the free program TUNE ECU on your Daytona?

I have a modified triumph bonnie and I'm trying to load a new ecu tune I recently purchased.

I'm 6'2", 200lbs, and I love my Bonneville, btw. Little small for long distances, get left in the dust by my friends on sport bikes all the time, but nothing better for around town.

PM if you want to ever see the bike, I'm downtown all the time with it.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

After I finished the sprocket install and went for a cruise through black diamond with the beyonders I did a fresh oil/filter change and I'm back to riding to work.

Riding on the street with this bike is perfect with this sprocket kit, low end grunt to power around and it's not too annoying at deerfoot speeds.

Favorite thing about bikes is the learning curve is so broad and takes so many years to master it all I just have more and more fun on the thing every time I'm out.

Tried out my brother's 00 yellow Duc 748 a few weeks ago and that was quite a treat, such a smooth transmission, its just a joy to ride.

My Ride

Originally posted by adamc
    Graham, have you ever used the free program TUNE ECU on your Daytona?

I have a modified triumph bonnie and I'm trying to load a new ecu tune I recently purchased.

I'm 6'2", 200lbs, and I love my Bonneville, btw. Little small for long distances, get left in the dust by my friends on sport bikes all the time, but nothing better for around town.

PM if you want to ever see the bike, I'm downtown all the time with it.
    Whoops, fuck. I must have forgot to check back in this thread.... no I just had the stock ECU. Some of the hardcore racers on the Trumpet forum did have Race ecu's, or at least the stock ones with different tunes. There are some variations though, people redo the speedo calibration in the event they have different gearing, but thats about it. what are you trying to accomplish?