Quantcast
Where to get an out of province bike inspection? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Where to get an out of province bike inspection?

Default Where to get an out of province bike inspection?

I am looking at buying a 2007 Gixxer 600 from Saskatchewan. It is pretty much stock, but one thing that I'm worried about is the fact it has a rear turn signal delete kit.

Where is the best place to get the bike OOP'd? I called a few places and prices have ranged from $180-220.

Thanks in advance.

My Ride
    2000 ZX-6R

I'm new to calgary, but I've had my bike in at Redline Motorsports a couple of times - I just dropped it off there for my OOP from BC. I think they charge $160.

They're run by riders, and won't try to scam you.
    Would you like a cupcake, officer?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

the old motorcycle shop... think its $120? they are a little lenient too from what i have seen

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

*BUMP*

I need to get an OOP on my bike in about a month here - any other ideas on where to go?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Tundra, Z1000

Old Motorcycle shop did an old CBR600 for me... 150 bucks, and they were "understanding" that the bike was old, and was just for a friend who was learning. That said, they did check everything, and told me what was close to being a no-go. They didn't charge me, or attempt to charge me, or attempt to upsell me, on anything at all.

I asked about the front tire, given that it was a little worn, and he said "honestly, it's fine for another season at least. if you want a new one, i'll sell it to you, but you don't need it to pass the inspection."

To me, that's pretty stand up. I know many auto mechanics and some bike mechanics who would have taken one look at the tire and said "that's a 120 dollar sale right there". Certainly when I asked about it, I half expected him to say "yea, maybe my guy didn't measure it, let me check again" and then tell me I needed a new one.

Will use them for anything I can in the future.
    Tundra, Z1000

My Ride
    It's wind powered

+100 for Old motorcycle shop.

I did two salvage inspections, my first one was through precision frameworx, which was an absolute nightmare. They held my bike for a month!! Everytime I called, I would be greeted with an excuse, and to the point where they became blatant lies. I was told once that there was a fire in the shop lol. But It took them an entire month to pass the inspection, and the only thing wrong with the bike was the hand grips were done, and they still charged me 600! making up bs hours for some fuel tank trouble shooting, even though I drove the bike (using a permit) to the shop! Instead of fighting them I was glad that I got my bike back after such a long time... so DO NOT USE PRECISION FRAMEWORX. Worst shop in calgary, period.

My second bike, a 2004 CBR600RR also needed a salvage inspection. When I took it to the Old motorcycle shop, the british or australian chap told me what it needed and gave me an outline of how long it would take to get everything done. It needed a new 2 new tires and a chain. And all of that was changed within 2 days. So hands down it was the smoothest/best experience, even though I paid about 400 ish or so for everything, at least I knew what it was for and i got the bike back after 48 hours.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

+1 on the old motorcycle shop. They do amazing work and really know their Shit. The British guy (that answers the phone ) there is awesome. He knows what he's talking about.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Canadian tire did my 2010 corvette back in the day.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by InRich
    Canadian tire did my 2010 corvette back in the day.
    That's super relevant and helpful to the question

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Old motorcycle shop it is! If I could just get Z1 to ship my parts I'd be working on the damn bike already but instead I'm stuck waiting.

Thanks for the advice

GW said it would be $165 and they are booking at least 3 weeks in advance, and really they didn't sound at all happy about doing it.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Zero102
    Old motorcycle shop it is! If I could just get Z1 to ship my parts I'd be working on the damn bike already but instead I'm stuck waiting.

Thanks for the advice

GW said it would be $165 and they are booking at least 3 weeks in advance, and really they didn't sound at all happy about doing it.
    I've never had a problem with Z1. Did you check their site because they won't inform you it was shipped you have to check yourself.

I usually receive stuff from them within a week or 1.5 weeks tops.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's super relevant and helpful to the question
    Word. its like? wow thanks for that. Surprisingly relevant that little tid bit was.
    Originally posted by khanan

I did two salvage inspections, my first one was through precision frameworx, which was an absolute nightmare. They held my bike for a month!! Everytime I called, I would be greeted with an excuse, and to the point where they became blatant lies. I was told once that there was a fire in the shop lol. But It took them an entire month to pass the inspection, and the only thing wrong with the bike was the hand grips were done, and they still charged me 600! making up bs hours for some fuel tank trouble shooting, even though I drove the bike (using a permit) to the shop! Instead of fighting them I was glad that I got my bike back after such a long time... so DO NOT USE PRECISION FRAMEWORX. Worst shop in calgary, period.
    LOL, I think we have two winners for the worst shop in Calgary, heres my story

Another place Id recommend would be Calgary Harley Davidson. As much as I hate HD, I was in a serious pinch a number of years ago, and they did the OP on this (BC) '89 Yamaha RZ350 I used to have, they did a brilliant job, and I got it back in a few hours. They didn't try to pull the wool over my eyes saying it needed $2k worth of repairs like Performance cycle & auto did with me on the exact same bike. The guys at Performance C & A said it had numerous failed bearings throughout, and a myriad of other issues that I knew were fine with the bike. When I refused to have them do ANY work on it, wow it was like I was pulling teeth out of their moms mouth, meanwhile it was there for almost two weeks. After ALL this fighting with them stating that I knew bikes, and no it didn't have anything wrong with it, finally they let me take it back. At least I got it back without additional charges then promptly took it over to Calgary HD.

I knew the bike would pass the OP and it did at Calgary HD, no issues at all.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 04-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by firebane

I've never had a problem with Z1. Did you check their site because they won't inform you it was shipped you have to check yourself.

I usually receive stuff from them within a week or 1.5 weeks tops.
    Yeah - I've been in touch with them 4 or 5 times now getting updates, it seems some of the things I wanted were backordered and they're too busy to actually check when things are coming in so basically it's hurry up and wait, and hopefully they come in soon. Not great but they are so much cheaper than trying to get the bits locally I can't argue much. I finally got to the point where they accepted my money today so I'm hoping things will ship soon!

My Ride
    Harley Nightster

Just do a quick bump on this, +1 for Old Motorcycle Shop. Came into the shop at 930 am Friday without any booking, they had my bike in right away, had them install a plate light, and put back my belt guard to pass OOP inspection and was in and out in couple hours, had it registered and ready to ride for the weekend! Solid guys.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

The google reviews on Old Motorcycle Shop scared me away. They just didn't sound trustworthy to me. I ended up getting my bike inspected at Universal Cycle just off Edmonton Trail. They seemed like vintage japanese bike nuts and felt like a good fit. Their inspection fee was reasonable, they weren't booking too far in advance and were able to inspect it ahead of schedule.

I have had my KZ750 plated for just over a week and have put 200km on it. So far so good! It's been fun so far but I really don't feel as comfortable on this bike as I would like - it just isn't quite the right fit for me. I'm going to ride it for this year at least but I'm already thinking about what to replace it with.