Quantcast
Controlling lawn weeds - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Controlling lawn weeds

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Controlling lawn weeds

Whats the new hotness for dealing with dandelions this year? I've already pulled up prob 150 of the fuckers and edged my lawn around the pavement where most of them seem to grow but I feel like Im trying to empty the ocean with a cup (you pull one out, a week later a new one is growing nearby).

Last year I sprayed some herbicide on the grass the one that attaches to the hose and it didnt really have much effect (the year before I used the same stuff and didnt see any all summer)

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

We have an acreage, so I could have literally thousands of dandelions, but obviously can't pull out everyone. I sometimes spot spray with a product like weedex for bad areas, but a good natural defense is to set your lawn mower higher. Not only does this help the grass grow better, but it also weeds out the weeds (pun intended). I have our JD set to 3 3/4", but height also depends a bit on what type of grass you have... We have Kentucky Blue... You'll want to cut a bit shorter if you have fescue or ryegrass...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/mutant-d...hreadid=354832
    I found this par III / Trillion stuff very effective.

EDIT: Also I disagree with yoru fescue comment, some types of fescue do excellently with no mowing at all. Of course, if you have a pile of crabgrass in there, then that's not really an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by littledan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    look, if you stick your dick on my shoulder, then I'm gonna stick my dick on your shoulder. That's how shoulder dicks work.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Dandelions control you not the other way around.

My Ride
    N280

I sprayed with Killex (same active ingredient as Par 3 - 2,4-D) last fall, and I have very few dandelions compared to neighbors. Now i just spot treat with killex or simply pull them out when I see a few pop up.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

My neighbor is a dandelion farmer and lives upwind, so I've completely given up even trying to control them.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    335i

Par3 or Trillion will kill dandelions and leave your grass unharmed.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

I bought a bulk container of Trillion from UFA that I'm willing to part some out if anyone is looking

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

This stuff leave grass unharmed but do they kill plants? Our flower beds have lot of weed. Dandelion and wild grass.

My Ride
    N280

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    This stuff leave grass unharmed but do they kill plants? Our flower beds have lot of weed. Dandelion and wild grass.
    It will not be good for your flowers or plants. Keep it on the grass, and spray on a non-windy day. You'll need round up for the wild grass.

If you're feeling risky, you could probably spot treat in the flower bed - just don't till the soil for a while, and hope rain doesn't wash your solution into the soil.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I sprayed Killex on my parents' lawn, it takes a few days for the dandelions to absorb the herbicide into their system and finally kill it, but it works quite well.
    For the stuff we used, we hooked it up to the garden hose, and just applied it that way.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Killex - did mine a week ago and they're all turning brown and curly. Have my own sprayer and mix a bit more Killex into the water.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '11 Titan/01 RC51

Originally posted by iron_man888
    I bought a bulk container of Trillion from UFA that I'm willing to part some out if anyone is looking
    Hook me up

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Most chemicals you use will either kill everything, or everything but grass. There are also some that kill grass and nothing else, but I don't imagine you'd find anything like that since the point is to keep grass alive. Also, chemicals that are supposed to be safe for your grass, will fuck it up big time if you give it too much. If your grass starts to turn yellow, water it. It probably wouldn't hurt to put some fertilizer down too.

If you get it on something you don't want to die, water the fuck out of it immediately. It takes time for the chemicals to be absorbed by the plant. For some it's as little as an hour, others can be a full day. Either way, all you can do is pour the water to it to dilute it and wash it off.

Going the other way, don't spend all day spraying your yard if it's going to rain and don't turn your sprinklers on for at least a day afterwards. Water is good for things you want to live. Water is bad for things you want to die.

Edit: I'd spray early in the morning when it's cool if possible, and as long after a mow as I could get away with. Weeds will take the chemical better if they're not stressed. And try to get your weeds before they flower.
    Last edited by SKR; 05-28-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by 94CoRd

It will not be good for your flowers or plants. Keep it on the grass, and spray on a non-windy day. You'll need round up for the wild grass.

If you're feeling risky, you could probably spot treat in the flower bed - just don't till the soil for a while, and hope rain doesn't wash your solution into the soil.
    I got myself the big 10L of Trillion a few years back and since I sprayed it I haven't had a single dandelion, however I am interested in the wild grass comment you made. I have this grass that is taller and grows much faster then the rest of my lawn...is that wild grass? What kind of RoundUp do you use for that, just weed killer version?

Originally posted by iron_man888
    PMd

weeds are out of control this year...

who else has some Trillion for sale?

My Ride
    N280

Originally posted by eblend

I got myself the big 10L of Trillion a few years back and since I sprayed it I haven't had a single dandelion, however I am interested in the wild grass comment you made. I have this grass that is taller and grows much faster then the rest of my lawn...is that wild grass? What kind of RoundUp do you use for that, just weed killer version?
    Roundup will kill anything. The grass that grows taller in your lawn is probably part of the seed that was put down. If you look on the seed bag, there is usually a blend of grasses; normally Kentucky Bluegrass, and a Ryegrass. That stuff that grows quicker and taller, is the ryegrass. It's put in the blend for that reason - the consumer starts seeing grass grow sooner, and trillion, par3, or killex doesn't harm it.

I usually just yank that grass, and eventually the bluegrass will overtake the ryegrass. If you have mounds of ryegrass in the lawn or garden, mix the roundup in a bucket - and using a rubber glove, dip it into the round up mix, and slide along the top 3/4 of unwanted grass. It's like a super-spot treatment.

I bought trillian concentrate off a beyonder a few years ago. It was a small 1L bottle but i got about 4-5 sprays out of it because it was so concentrated and you dilute it quite a bit. Works great for killing weeds, including black medic which was a big PITA on my lawn 2 years ago.

It won't help with crabgrass / quackgrass though... i haven't found a solution for that. I've just learned to try and live with it...it's only noticeable when you don't cut your grass often as you'll have a big patch of "grass" that is taller than everything else.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/weed...3-prong/928175

Best weed solution ever -- exercise and no chemicals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast