Quantcast
Massive multi-million dollar family home rising west of Calgary - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Massive multi-million dollar family home rising west of Calgary

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Drove past this place on the weekend. Looks awful from the road. They shoudl have built a smaller house on a nicer peice of land.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

Default A Peek Inside that Huge House on Hwy. 22

I've been driving past this place for years...the mega mouse on the West side of Highway 22 between the TransCanada and Highway 8. Know the one?

Anyone know who it is building that palace?

I saw a post on LinkedIN by a custom cieling contractor who did some interior dome cielings there. he posted some other pic's...

Link to pics

Anyone have more details? The same guy mentioned that this is just the "entertaining" home for the owner.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

Look at all that gold.

The owner was outed a while back, an under thirty-year-old, golden spooned Hong Kong real estate developer (housing mostly), educated in the USA/Canada. Came to Calgary with his architect brother as all the other HK/CH gold spoons were in Vancouver and Toronto. Calgary was unmarked, ripe for the parking of their family billions.

Nicholas Hon, his bro is Ernest Hon.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/..._lsa=79f8-1e44

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-382569.html

The OP link to the ceiling pics works and I'd think someone is in for a firing. Can't imagine this is OK by a quiet HK family.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 10-22-2016 at 09:56 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

link doesn't really work for me

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Is that the Trump tower? millions of millions of gold, tremendous success, under budget and ahead of schedule, nothing but the best, and it's huge.

Is it just me or is that one hallway super narrow. I feel the hall in my townhouse is wider than that even.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Surprised something that big is built entirely with wood. I know of a massive house that was built outside of Edmonton and the entire thing is concrete and steel. And not a modern looking house, just built to last and high quality.

And I find it hard to believe anyone under 30 would like the interior styling in that place... looks like something some seniors would do

My Ride
    ute

Money does not buy class and good taste.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    Is it just me or is that one hallway super narrow. I feel the hall in my townhouse is wider than that even.
    I noticed that too, way too narrow to be a hallway, but what else could it be?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Swank
    I noticed that too, way too narrow to be a hallway, but what else could it be?
    I really don't think it is as narrow as you think; probably standard width. The ceilings are tall, so I imagine that opening is some 10 feet high or more.

Even at regular width though, they built the rest of the house with ridiculous opulence so why not make the hallway follow suit?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Buster
    Money does not buy class and good taste.
    Absolutely.

Pretty sure this is the architect.

Ultracrepidarian

Meh. To each his own. Looks like they were going for a stately palace look. Probably wanted to switch it up from living in modern high rises in HK. If you have money to burn why not.

People need to ease off this place. They'll probably use it to throw a big party couple times a year. It's equivalent to dressing up tacky for a theme party.
    Last edited by Manhattan; 10-21-2016 at 02:23 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
    Definitely super narrow, even with the perspective.

I assume its for easier avoidance of the cops when they bust the place for eventual drug charges

that hall is probably on the wing for the staff so just enough to meet code for the pesants

I'm not a builder so serious question; if you have all the money in the world, why would you not build out of concrete instead of wood? No matter how far "wood tech" has come, how can you compare it to concrete/brick/stone that stands for hundreds/thousands of years? I mean, if I was a billionaire, and building my personal and private home, I'd be concreting everything. Thoughts?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by BigMass
    I'm not a builder so serious question; if you have all the money in the world, why would you not build out of concrete instead of wood? No matter how far "wood tech" has come, how can you compare it to concrete/brick/stone that stands for hundreds/thousands of years? I mean, if I was a billionaire, and building my personal and private home, I'd be concreting everything. Thoughts?
    Weight on the foundation? Temperature variation in Calgary?

Dunno just guesses.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Honestly, this house would have been the perfect candidate to have been made with foam/concrete block. Its a building process that still isn't done regularly, but the costs aren't that much more.

Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they aren't cheap asses. Probably got sticker shock when they realized labour wasn't 50c/h like it is back home. Plus, who gives a shit, not like you can take the house with you, will be alot easier to demo in 100 years haha.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

My guess is cheaper and faster build time with light weight materials. The place looks like it was made out of cardboard when viewed from the road.

My Ride
    Eclipse

Foam/concrete is a thing its super expensive though, i remember when we worked construction we did a house that had it in springbank...

It might of just been the foundation now that i think about it?
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast