Quantcast
Massive multi-million dollar family home rising west of Calgary - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Massive multi-million dollar family home rising west of Calgary

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Honestly, this house would have been the perfect candidate to have been made with foam/concrete block. Its a building process that still isn't done regularly, but the costs aren't that much more.

Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they aren't cheap asses. Probably got sticker shock when they realized labour wasn't 50c/h like it is back home. Plus, who gives a shit, not like you can take the house with you, will be alot easier to demo in 100 years haha.
    Foam/concrete is significantly more expensive. It's also faster than traditional framing/sheeting/insulating. My parents have built two additions, and another house with this stuff (foundation/walkout only not all the way to the roof).

And agreed to everything in your second paragraph. There are some super rich people that I know for a fact were penny pinchers on their home builds/renos.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Kobe

Foam/concrete is a thing its super expensive though, i remember when we worked construction we did a house that had it in springbank...

It might of just been the foundation now that i think about it?
    Our old place was built with ICF forms. Foundation to the roof was all 8" thick styrofoam/concrete. Amazing product but it added almost 150k to the cost of building over traditional methods. The product plus rebar and a shit ton of concrete adds up.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by cjblair

Foam/concrete is significantly more expensive. It's also faster than traditional framing/sheeting/insulating. My parents have built two additions, and another house with this stuff (foundation/walkout only not all the way to the roof).

And agreed to everything in your second paragraph. There are some super rich people that I know for a fact were penny pinchers on their home builds/renos.
    No its not. Considering I build houses out of it, I think I would know.

You get CHARGED more to do it. Its not more expensive (subject to the reality of concrete prices, of course). Quite literally, two people can completely build a foundation/basement/frame a house by themselves with ICF, again, I know this because I did it. Huge labour savings.

Also, newer styles don't even require rebar anymore = more savings in material and labour.

But yes, if you walk up to home builder XYZ and say "I want a custom home with ICF!" you are going to get worked over. But that applies to any custom home

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

(subject to the reality of concrete prices, of course).

Of course ICF is more expensive, because in reality, concrete isn't cheap. There are also additional costs in cladding ICF walls, because it's more labour intensive.
    With that said, it is a far superior system offering much better R values than traditional framing. As it pertains to this monstrosity off of highway 22, I think the homeowners are more concerned about quantity over quality. The whole house is clad in cheap fake stone.

Not rereading the thread, I recall the number of 3.5 million or so being the value of this build. That is not an expensive house for the type of owner we are discussing. I've also read he has a great car collection valued in excess of three million. HK math dictates your vehicles equal the value of your home. I'll be yurt shopping in the morning.

His money, do with it as he wishes.

My Ride
    V8s

No its not. Considering I build houses out of it, I think I would know.

You get CHARGED more to do it. Its not more expensive (subject to the reality of concrete prices, of course). Quite literally, two people can completely build a foundation/basement/frame a house by themselves with ICF, again, I know this because I did it. Huge labour savings.

Also, newer styles don't even require rebar anymore = more savings in material and labour.

But yes, if you walk up to home builder XYZ and say "I want a custom home with ICF!" you are going to get worked over. But that applies to any custom home
    My family runs a custom home building company. If you actually do build houses out of it, you should know what it costs to bring out a concrete pumper for a day... or two.. or three. Not to mention, as stated, the cost of a few metres (or 10.. or 20.. or like a couple hundred for the house in the OP haha) of concrete.

And of course builders charge out more for it, as you said - that happens with any custom home.

My family runs a custom home building company. If you actually do build houses out of it, you should know what it costs to bring out a concrete pumper for a day... or two.. or three. Not to mention, as stated, the cost of a few metres (or 10.. or 20.. or like a couple hundred for the house in the OP haha) of concrete.

And of course builders charge out more for it, as you said - that happens with any custom home.
    concrete has been a huge issue during the boom due to all the scrapers going up. I'd like to say prices must have come down by now, but large construction projects take so long we're still building, "pre-bust planned buildings". When those dry up prices should come down?

Originally posted by Minimalist
    Not rereading the thread, I recall the number of 3.5 million or so being the value of this build. That is not an expensive house for the type of owner we are discussing. I've also read he has a great car collection valued in excess of three million. HK math dictates your vehicles equal the value of your home. I'll be yurt shopping in the morning.

His money, do with it as he wishes.
    3.5m doesn't seem bad just for build price that doesn't include land. After all, he's building on farm land in Alberta not Beverly Hills.
    Last edited by BigMass; 10-22-2016 at 07:29 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Originally posted by BigMass

concrete has been a huge issue during the boom due to all the scrapers going up. I'd like to say prices must have come down by now, but large construction projects take so long we're still building, "pre-bust planned buildings". When those dry up prices should come down?

3.5m doesn't seem bad just for build price that doesn't include land. After all, he's building on farm land in Alberta not Beverly Hills.
    I think concrete and concrete installers will always be a premium in Calgary because of our shit cold weather, short construction seasons and the fact almost every structure needs frost walls or below frost piles.

I just had nearly 100 yrds of concrete poured with a pumper and installed 65 2x2x6 retaining blocks @ $100/hr to set them. I have an idea what its worth..

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

The OP link to the ceiling pics works and I'd think someone is in for a firing. Can't imagine this is OK by a quiet HK family. [/B]
    Looks like a lot of the pictures got taken down. We broke it again...this is why we can't have nice things.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

I'm wondering if theres a different version of this that hitemp is talking about because i know of 2 people who built with ICF and theres no way its anywhere near the same costs as a standard form. They only justified the costs because these were their forever homes.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

I'm wondering if theres a different version of this that hitemp is talking about because i know of 2 people who built with ICF and theres no way its anywhere near the same costs as a standard form. They only justified the costs because these were their forever homes.
    Correct. ICF is 3 to 4x's the cost of traditional framing.

Saying it's "just the same" because you can do it yourself, or because you just get "charged more" is moot. You could also stick frame the house yourself and save a bundle.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6