Quantcast
TELUS Fibre Optic - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: TELUS Fibre Optic

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default TELUS Fibre Optic

My area has been installed with fibre optic from TELUS. They are now running the wires to everyones home. A TELUS guy just left my place saying how great it is and what not. I'm currently with Shaw and I am not even close to getting my advertised speed.

So whats the deal? Should I sign up for the service or stay with Shaw? Upload speed currently is horrible. Download speed is alright. TV is pretty good.

Telus says they can get me 100 m/s download and 20 m/s upload.

I need to make a decision soon as there is about a 6 week waiting period as it is for an in-home install.

Are they any good? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm still left with a bitter taste for TELUS from my last interaction with them which was like 8 years ago now. Trying not to let that cloud my judgement.

If what they say is true... I'd love to take the speed increase. Slow upload is killing me!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

What's the $$$ comparison between the two? Have you phoned Shaw and troubleshooted why you aren't getting advertised speeds?

Also keep in mind with Shaw it may be currently bottle necked in your neighborhood's distribution box and as a bunch of your neighbors shift to Telus your speeds might rise.

My Ride
    Grimace

How slow is your upload that it is that bad? I get like 5 up at home and office

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

if you want to start up with telus, i can set you up with a referral, and then you have an "in" for getting help should something ever come up. The referral won't get you much, but I think you get the current promos and $50 off your first bill.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

There's the numbers boys! Look at that upload speed! HORRIBLE!

The price comparison between the two are almost identical.

Current promo from TELUS is half of tv and internet for the first 6 months.

EDIT: Should be noted that I am paying for Broadband 50 with Shaw.

Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

We've been on Optik for 3 years, not many complaints.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Busa

Telus and Shaw are priced competitively, so you'll be paying the same regardless of who you go with.

I like Telus' fiber service myself. It's low latency, and always consistent. I have never had a time when I didn't get my full speed. The big bonus of going with Telus is that you get pretty decent upload speeds too. My 50mbps package gets me roughly 13mbps upload.

The one downside to Telus is that they do not have faster packages beyond the 50mbps. Shaw on the other hand offers up to 250mbps. For most people that's not really a concern, and the 250mbps package is quite pricey.

Aside from that I simply don't like Shaw as a company in general. This is the company that brought you usage based billing. The company that prioritizes different types of traffic. The company that oversells their capacity and doesn't stop until enough customers complain. The company that pays out some of Canada's top pensions and salaries to Shaw family members. In 2011, total payout to the Shaw's was $58 million. Not including the subsequent $100 million pension Jim Shaw now collects. The board rooms and offices are dripping in lavish artwork and collectables. They take these untold fortunes all the while simultaneously gouging their customers at every turn. So yea... I'm not a fan.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Here is Optik 50 to a shaw server

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

As a point of comparison:

Shaw Broadband 100 to a Shaw-hosted server:

Telus-hosted server:

My Ride
    Ford

here is my shaw 50

when downloading with usenet its constant 64 Mb/s. more then advertised sweet
    Last edited by blairtruck; 05-30-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Telus = contracts. Fuck that.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by A790
    Telus = contracts. Fuck that.
    I don't know where you get that. You've said it in other threads before.

I have been with Telus Optik for 3.5 years now without a contract. Just don't take their free shit and you don't need to lock yourself in.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I'll ask about any contract catches. He didn't say there was but I didn't ask so.....
    If there is, I'm probably gonna bail.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

No, you can sign up with Telus with NO contracts and still get 50% discount for 6 months. I have done this before and was able to cancel soon after 6 months - no issues.

I have found Telus customer service for TV / Internet has been pretty good for the past 5 years or so. Their technicians are nice and the people I speak to on the phone are really nice too and knowledgeable. (Can't say the same for Telus Mobility - but I try not to talk to them too much...)

Recently I signed up for the 3 year contract since I figured I'm going to be using their service anyway so might as well get a free TV out of it They've been great throughout the process and even allowed me to use the Free TV promo which is supposed to be for new customers only.

Last time I called Telus about a $5 over-billing, they promptly recognized their error and fixed it.

As for speeds, I almost get my full 25mbps throughout the day. Sometimes I notice however that it drops significantly (usually between 9 and 10pm at nights) but it seems to be over wifi only and very intermittent. I think it has more to do with something interfering with my signal (I'm in a duplex). Although I'm still skeptical about the fact that each time (twice so far) I had an issue with Wifi speed, I call in, and while I'm talking to the rep, my speed improves

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

You don't need no contract! People got to stop spreading that bull, if you take their free TV or whatever they offer then you are locked in, i did that, but i never looked back after switching to Optik, so worked out well for me since i am a customer for life (for now) and got something free out of it so that worked out.

They do have 100mbps service now for those who don't know, it isn't really advertised yet.

I am on 50mbps in Evergreen, loving the upload speed

My Ride
    Busa

Originally posted by eblend
    They do have 100mbps service now for those who don't know, it isn't really advertised yet.
    I might check that out. Kind of curious to see if I will get the full 100. When they first rolled out Optik the connection was uncapped and it maxed out around 86mbps on the newsgroups.

My Ride
    Ford

what are you guys uploading that the speed matters.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by blairtruck
    what are you guys uploading that the speed matters.
    This. Unless your torrenting I don't notice any difference between mbit and 10. Unless you're hosting something or backing up a ton of data off site who cares?

When I made the switch to Optik 3 years ago so did the neighbours on either side of me. None of us have switched back. I've really got nothing bad to say. I got so pissed at Shaw I switched out of spite, figuring what do I have to loose? Shaw would have to have a serious promotion or some wild out of this world technology in order for me to even consider switching back at this point.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I called Shaw just to make sure that I can cancel their service without penalty. They asked me why and I told them straight up about the new fibre optik service. Holy hell, they said they can knock my current package down to 100 bucks per month and give me this and give me that. Hahaha. Fuck did I laugh. As far as I know, they still can't get their internet speeds up to the Fibre Optik. Thats the real downside for their service here. The TV is excellent tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast