Quantcast
Getting Service Records from a Dealership - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Getting Service Records from a Dealership

My Ride
    G37X Coupe

Default Getting Service Records from a Dealership

Would like some insight on this situation I've been going through.

I bought a used car from a local dealer who serviced the vehicle from day one. Prior to the purchase I skimmed over the service records on the salesman's computer and didn't see anything out of the ordinary so let's say the dealership doesn't have anything to hide per se.

Anyways now the purchase has been completed I'd like to have a print out of those records so I can compile a full vehicle history in the event I choose to sell the car. After asking them, I've been informed it goes against their privacy policy and most certainly can't be done.

Now I can understand they aren't going to release the previous owner's name, address, etc.. However I feel a black sharpie/ MS paint can quickly eliminate any of these worries.

Curious to know from anyone in the industry why these service records are so cherished since it's acceptable for someone look at them (which oddly enough allowed me to see the previous owner's info) yet they refuse to produce a printed copy.

If you've bought a used car, did you get the same run around?

TIA

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

When I bought my wife her 2005 x5 from land rover I called BMW and asked for the cars history from day one, they told me the same thing they told u cant release that info because its privacy problems.

After I bought the car and got the tittle, I went in to the dealer with proof that I bought the car and its in my name, the guy pulled up the info he could find since it was in Calgary, the x5 came from BC, I then asked the guy I want every thing that's in the system from where it came from to the date I bought the car, he did some typing and printed every thing for me.

All the service records that the BMW dealer had on the X5 I got it printed and there was no info on the copys of who owned the x5 since new or anything

I did get all the records tho since the x5 had 9kms on it

Originally posted by Jeeper1986
    When I bought my wife her 2005 x5 from land rover I called BMW and asked for the cars history from day one, they told me the same thing they told u cant release that info because its privacy problems.

After I bought the car and got the tittle, I went in to the dealer with proof that I bought the car and its in my name, the guy pulled up the info he could find since it was in Calgary, the x5 came from BC, I then asked the guy I want every thing that's in the system from where it came from to the date I bought the car, he did some typing and printed every thing for me.

All the service records that the BMW dealer had on the X5 I got it printed and there was no info on the copys of who owned the x5 since new or anything

I did get all the records tho since the x5 had 9kms on it
    Do they charge a fee for this?

My Ride
    2002 jeep tj

Originally posted by J.M.

Do they charge a fee for this?
    If they do then I didn't get charged anything, it was really early in the morning like 8 am that I went in lol, talked to one of the service guys and he printed every thing that the x5 had work done to it

I've asked for service history for my M when it was in BC from the Infiniti dealership it was regularly serviced at - no problems at all. They just couldn't email or mail you the information - I had to go in person and get it printed for me. They blacked out the previous owners name (not very well lol)

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I lost 1 oil change receipt from CH hyundai. when I went in for the next one, I asked if they your reprint it for me, and they denied me saying that I could claim it for taxes or some such.

basically, if I need warranty work, I have to tell them to contact CH Hyundai to get verification the oil change was done, and I have owned my truck since new...

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by spikerS
    I lost 1 oil change receipt from CH hyundai. when I went in for the next one, I asked if they your reprint it for me, and they denied me saying that I could claim it for taxes or some such.

basically, if I need warranty work, I have to tell them to contact CH Hyundai to get verification the oil change was done, and I have owned my truck since new...

^ Sounds like bullshit because if you can use the duplicate for taxes, then based on that messed up logic you could use the original for the same purpose too.

And If they were concerned that you would double dip (for god knows what tax purposes), I'm pretty sure the receipt would have a date on it and would obviously be a duplicate.

Maybe inexperienced service guys might try to avoid doing it because they don't know how...

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I always ask for the service records from dealers and usually it's no problem. Just received records for an M3 from an Ontario dealer via email. They have an internal service record that doesn't show anything about the owner they should be able to show you - BMW is real easy because they just have to plug in the key fob.