Quantcast
people don't bike in calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: people don't bike in calgary

Default people don't bike in calgary

calgary isn't a city where people bike to work a lot of the time. it's not like montreal/toronto. when I was there, I saw tons of people biking as part of their commute to and from work. Calgary just isn't like that.

So why the hell do we have so many bike lanes? Yes mad.

Default Re: people don't bike in calgary

Originally posted by 8baller8
    calgary isn't a city where people bike to work a lot of the time. it's not like montreal/toronto. when I was there, I saw tons of people biking as part of their commute to and from work. Calgary just isn't like that.

So why the hell do we have so many bike lanes? Yes mad.
    Because Nenshi wants us to become bikers. Don't like riding a bike in -25? Actually enjoy driving? Doesn't matter, you're a dumb redneck and Nenshi knows what's best.

One sees what they wish to see.

When I used to cycle commute (downtown as well as NE Princess Auto area), I saw lots of cyclists. If I happen to be in rush hour on 10th Street NW, I still see quite a few cyclists - same goes for 2nd Street NW..

Now that doesn't mean that I am an advocate for cycle lanes as I got along without them quite fine and in some cases, I think some of the existing one (Northland Drive NW mess) and future ones (Northmount Drive NW - whole length) are ridiculous.

Now I understand that there's maybe a safety factor to be looked at with dedicated cycle lanes but at the same time, if you ride smart and pick your riding locations wisely then safety isn't much of an issue. Cycle commuting downtown on 2nd Street NW is not that big of a deal and is actually better now with some of the roundabouts they put in place of stop signs but, you'll always get those fools (yes, I'll call them that) who figure riding on Centre Street or on the Louise Bridge is a great idea.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 02:58 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Where's dat dead horse at? I just picked me up a new Louisville
    Ultracrepidarian

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 02:58 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I feel like wood is traditional and give me more street cred.
    Ultracrepidarian

Default Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
    Because Nenshi wants us to become bikers. Don't like riding a bike in -25? Actually enjoy driving? Doesn't matter, you're a dumb redneck and Nenshi knows what's best.
    Calagry's bicycle policy circa July 14, 2008 - link.

Nenshi became mayor October 25, 2010 - link.

Yeah, I know, I know, the big blue ring is Nenshi's fault as well and probably the mess that is Deerfoot, the 2013 floods and the stray cat that is wandering around in my back yard as well.

Before I moved to Calgary, I used to commute via bicycle and would only use my car for grocery trips and long-distance travel.

I moved to Calgary and stopped commuting because Calgary roads SUCK for cyclists. It's hands down the worst city for cyclists that I've ever lived in. I lived there for about 10 years, and can count on one hand the number of times I cycled to work.

Since moving out of Calgary a couple of years ago, I am once again commuting almost exclusively by bike. I've only driven to work about 10 times, and then only because I had to haul something in the car.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Aluminum or wood? I like the sound of wood, but aluminum just does so much more damage

8baller8 is just in a post creating mood
    haha, right you are.

Default Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

No worries, I am a post whore so it gives me an outlet, haha

The way I read your post is that Nenshi has been Mayor for 4 years... yet he is responsible for nothing based on technicalities
    Nah, it was sort of tongue in cheek except the cat thing, that's his fault and well, maybe some of the other stuff too.

Originally posted by FixedGear
    Before I moved to Calgary, I used to commute via bicycle and would only use my car for grocery trips and long-distance travel.

I moved to Calgary and stopped commuting because Calgary roads SUCK for cyclists. It's hands down the worst city for cyclists that I've ever lived in. I lived there for about 10 years, and can count on one hand the number of times I cycled to work.

Since moving out of Calgary a couple of years ago, I am once again commuting almost exclusively by bike. I've only driven to work about 10 times, and then only because I had to haul something in the car.
    what makes them bad out of curiosity?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-01-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Nenshi is a very reactive mayor... something happens that was a relic of past councils, then he speaks up. It would be nice if he was more proactive… like at the very beginning when he was going to look into way to save the city money, he cancelled flower service and gave Enmax a stern talking to.

Too bad it took him all of 3 months to fall into the ruts of past mayors.
    He's like every politician, he's happy to tell people what he thinks they want to hear.

We have an incredibly vocal minority in this city, who's views on what they want the city to be are completely unrealistic, and a Mayor/Council who seem more than willing to cater to the nonsense.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Gee, I used to live in Brentwood and University Heights, I biked all the time. Didn't have a car until I was 23. Also when I lived near 14St and 11Ave SW. Very easy.

I always thought it was really easy to bike here. Lots of bike paths and quite side streets that run parallel to major routes. Also there's not very many bicyclists in the first place so that made it even easier.
    Last edited by suntan; 06-04-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    He's like every politician, he's happy to tell people what he thinks they want to hear.

We have an incredibly vocal minority in this city, who's views on what they want the city to be are completely unrealistic, and a Mayor/Council who seem more than willing to cater to the nonsense.
    That's the problem with Twitter, it's an echo chamber and it's far too easy to block people that don't agree with you.

summer rolls around and people forget that in another 3-4 months we'll be back to snow. In warmer climates or dense cities biking is great. In Calgary not so much. If Calgary really wants less people to stop driving, for our climate, the only thing that will be effective is a subway system that connects suburbs and filters into downtown. Look at what an effect even the Ctrain has. If I lived near a ctrain station I would take that. A lot of people drive because there are no other viable options. Subways are just so awesome and let you get around quickly without a car. It's time Calgary looks into that IMO

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: people don't bike in calgary

Originally posted by suntan
    That's the problem with Twitter, it's an echo chamber and it's far too easy to block people that don't agree with you.
    This.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Now Nenshi's Facebook page... What a hot mess. Lots of pissed off people on there.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast