Quantcast
Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

So in the spirit of trying to stop derailing threads, I figured I'd start a new thread about traffic and commutes. Calgary was ranked 5th most congested in Canada this year, behind Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nada-1.2663500

Since a large number of people here are downtown workers which seems to have the most visible commute complaints, let's take a look to see how your daily rush hour commute looks from your home to the office, door to door.

All modes of transportation are welcome. Bus, Bike, Car, anything, as long as it's door to door, and during rush hour (6-9am morning, 4-7pm evenings). We have a good user base here that lives in all areas of the city, so it'll help others determine what communities are downtown worker friendly, and what modes of transport works best.

No need to post detailed logs, but if you have 'em, post 'em. I'm pretty fascinated with traffic patterns, shortcuts, and such, so I know if I'm beating the average or losing each trek.

So from yesterday's thread, I made it home in 19 mins, door to door, and that's hitting about 1/2 of red lights along the route. That's from 8th street/6th Ave SW, to Arbour Lake. My typical commute home runs 20mins +/- 3 mins.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Today's commute to work, I made it in 18mins, door to door. To be fair, I left from the other side of Arbour Lake (where I store my cars) to the office, so it's slightly quicker thanks to a different exit, by maybe a minute. I hit *every* red light on this trip, so that cancel's out the advantage. Generally, it's quicker to go to work than to get home for me, as the lights leaving Arbour Lake isn't exactly timed very nicely, and going to work favors right turns, while coming home favors left turns. I've calculated my average to be 18mins +/- 3 mins.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I live in Aspen and had a couple of different times depending on where I would park.

Usually I would park in Sunnyside on the street and finish my commute by walking. In that case I'd go Bow Trail to Crowchild then jog over to Memorial and continue on until I got to Sunnyside. I would leave the house at 6ish. The drive was about 15 minutes and the walk between 10 and 15. On the way home I would leave the office at about 4. Same walk time and the drive would take 20-25 minutes. So, overall commute time was 25-30 minutes in the morning and 30-40 minutes in the afternoon.

If I was parking downtown the drive was usually 15 mins in the morning and 20 in the afternoon.

From West Beltline, 20ish mins walking to 8th ave station & riding the train 3 stops (when there aren't train delays). Walking all the way in is about 25-30 mins.

From Woodbine, 1h minimum using the bus to Anderson and taking the Train in. That is on a flawless day, very often it was more like 1.5h (there was a point where I had an Excel spreadsheet tracking my commute times and frequencies of transit delays exceeding 20 minutes, which were extremely numerous.)

From Braeside, driving (14th st, Glenmore, Crowchild, 9th ave) 25min this morning to my place in West Beltline. All the way into the core it's 30-35min.

IMO anything under 30 mins an acceptable commute door to door. I hope to stay in that range when I move out of DT.

My Ride
    06 EVO IX, 17 RAPTOR,13 JKRU, 18 TH Jeep

Evergreen - 20 mins in the morning right to Eau Claire downtown leaving @ 6am.
    Heading home takes 40 mins. Leaving right @ 4:05. Probably 10 of those minutes just getting out of the core - the rest due to congestion.
    Straight up macleod there and back commuting by car.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i do a reverse downtown commute... can make it from inglewood to 130th and deerfoot in under 15min every day... well, unless someone shuts down a lane on deerfoot any time of morning or afternoon (times range from 7-10am and 4-6pm)

some times i go downtown too... never in the afternoons though. can get to banker's hall in under 10min at 9ish am
    Last edited by ercchry; 06-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Applewood to hotel arts is 17-20min monday/friday and 20-25min tue-thurs.

going home is usually ~30 min or so.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

I live in Auburn Bay. I drive my car from my house (8am) to my girlfriends parents house which is up the street from Fish Creek station. I take the train to 4st W and walk a block to work. All said and done Im about 45min door to door the morning. Afternoon can be more of a nightmare depending on how the trains are running. (530PM) Im usually anywhere from 45 min to 1 hr going home.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Family Hauler

15 minute walk everyday.... Dont know if i could handle losing that extra hour every day to get that white picket fence and big backyard!

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I think the point of this thread is to show real commute times and not guesses.

I commute from Aspen on my bike.

This morning 33:52 seconds door to door:

Yesterday toward home(timed all lights perfectly) 45:57:

Last October (going home) when I was more fit (after riding all summer) Record moving time 39 mins elapsed 41 mins:

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

From Royal Oak to just south of the Stampede ground.

In the morning leaving home at 7, it takes me about 35min.

Stoney - Crow - Kensington - 14st - beltline (mostly 17ave) - 4st/misson

After work, it can be 40min to 1hr, highly variable for no reason.

mission/4st - 10/11ave - 14st - 24ave - crow - stoney

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I do a reverse commute too.

I leave from Mission to work on 32nd avenue & deerfoot trail.

In the morning (645ish) it takes me 12 minutes to get from home to the office.

In the evening (4:30-5:00pm) it takes me between 30-40 minutes depending how the stretch is on memorial drive and flyover into downtown is. I've recently started going downto 17th ave/blackfoot to avoid downtown but it still seems to take just as long..

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Kelvin Grove to Western Canadian Place via walking and the bus
    I leave my house at 6:30 am and I am sitting at my desk at 7:00-7:05 am with coffee in hand.

Western Canadian Place to Kelvin Grove via walking and the bus
    I try to leave work at 3:55 pm and I am usually home at 4:30 - 4:45 pm.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

rage, what times are you leaving home/work? also, set up a poll, 5 min increments after 10 mins, last one being 50+mins

and I assume this is only for the downtown workers
    Last edited by tha_bandit; 06-05-2014 at 10:15 AM.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Assuming you did fill up since last night and you're baller enought to get a full tank at a time how the hell did you use almost the half tank of gas since filling up to get to work?

Something that's missing in most of the posts above is the time of day that people are commuting as that often has a huge effect on commute times - leaving at 3:30 versus 4:00 versus 4:30 can really make a difference or at least it does on Deerfoot.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Sunalta:
    Walk:20-30 min depending where I need to get in the core
    Ctrain: 10 min
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by G
    Assuming you did fill up since last night and you're baller enought to get a full tank at a time how the hell did you use almost the half tank of gas since filling up to get to work?
    Top pic is BS

Bottom pic is CLS500

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Driving from Rocky Ridge to downtown near the Saddledome - Stoney - 16th - Memorial - both ways, 12 ave in the morning, center street bridge going home in the afternoon

6-6:30 am is about 30 minutes coming in
    4:00pm is about 35 minutes going home
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

My commute's from Quarry Park into Kensington (not quite downtown but close enough) and the reverse thereafter. My usual route is Glenmore, Deerfoot, & Memorial.

By Car (door-to-door)
    Morning commute (8-9am): 13-18 mins
    Afternoon commute (5-6pm): 15-20 mins

By Bike (bicycle) (door-to-door)
    Both commutes: 40-45 mins

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

from deer run, driving and parking at Canyon meadows (road or parking lot if free parking is available).

Typically leave ~6:50, at work by 7:30 (off at 7th ave station). Pretty equivalent going home (leaving work around 4), maybe a bit longer as train takes longer to fill up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast