Quantcast
Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Hamptons to Mission

Leave at 7:45, arrives at 8:10 to 8:20. Add 30mins if someone screwed up on Crowchild or Shag.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I'm doing Bowness (Bowness road @ Home Road) to Bankers Hall every morning.

Option #1:

Leaving 715AM, I'll arrive at 745AM using Bowness Road > 14ST > 9AVE

Commute time 30 Minutes door to door.

Option #2:

Leaving 715AM, I'll arrive at 735AM Using Bowness Road > 16AVE > University Drive > Crowchild Trail > Bow Trail City Center.

Commute time 20 Minutes door to door.

Option #1 is boring but consistent

Option #2 gives me an opportunity to pull some serious lateral G's - Bowness to 16AVE E has an amazing on ramp, and then 16AVE E to University Drive/Crowchild South gives me another amazing off ramp. Finally, Bow Trail City Center exit on the Crowchild Trail bridge is another killer on-ramp.

I'm excited for a spirited drive every morning. Hopefully running 255/40/17 Michelin PSS's will get to 1.0 Lateral G's in the corners....
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Ford F150

Driving from the core to Sundance is about 40min most says leaving after 4:30.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

My wife's commute is 10min. to work, and 20min. home. (Fairview to 10th ave)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

From Elbow Park to my office on 11th ave, my morning commute at 6:45 is 5-7 mins driving door to door (from garage to parkade, up the elevator and in my office), or perhaps a couple minutes longer if I car2go. I can (but don't usually) walk in 18-22 minutes.

Driving home takes 6-12 minutes, depending on what time I leave. Leaving around 4 is quicker, but if I don't leave until 5 or later, it doubles my commute time

If I worked right in the core, I could probably add a couple minutes in the morning (because I'm early enough to beat the main rush), and up to an additional 15 minutes on the way home in the thick of rush hour... I really like the location of our office.
    Last edited by you&me; 06-05-2014 at 11:12 AM.

My Ride
    13' IS 250AWD 09' MDX

From Highland Park to Livingston Place for me

6 mins door to door in Car2Go leaving at 6:15, by bus takes about 12 mins on one of the express busses

Takes me about 10 mins back home in Car2Go leaving at 4:15, about 20mins by bus

OK I'll copy my post from the other thread that I was helping to derail...

My commute is Mahogany to Beltline, need to get there around 9am. Average time is about 40 mins. Drive home is at 9pm so traffic is no concern, about 30 mins.

Currently I am going:
    Deerfoot > Glenmore > Blackfoot > Manhattan > 42nd > Macleod.

In worse weather I avoid DF and use Barlow > Shepard > Glenmore. This might actually be faster in good weather too, I'm not sure.

I was hoping that running north up Stoney to Glenmore would shave some time off, but I end up hitting the worst part of East Glenmore clusterfuck.

I have a colleague living in Riverbend that comes in on 25th. I'm not sure if she uses Highfield or what. I tried that a couple times but it seemed really slow. I should start timing and see what is actually fastest.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

[QUOTE]Originally posted by benyl
    [B]I think the point of this thread is to show real commute times and not guesses.

I commute from Aspen on my bike.

This morning 33:52 seconds door to door:

Nice top speed!
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

From Mount Pleasant to Downtown (Shell Centre), aiming to be at work by 8am.

By Bus: 30 mins (average, includes waiting at stop)
    By Motorcycle: 15 mins (includes 2 mins of wandering around for a parking spot)
    By Car2Go: 13 mins
    By Bicycle: 6 minutes there, 15 mins home

My bus route takes me down Centre St, which is incredibly variable in the amount of traffic it sees and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern.

Motorcycle and Car2Go route is to head down 10th through Kensington

Bicycle is to cut through Crescent Heights, take the dirt path down the hill by the Memorial Curling Club and then cut through the park and Eau Claire.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by benyl

Top pic is BS

Bottom pic is CLS500
    Haha sorry didn't click to enlarge the pictures...while the rest of us get gas when running low ballers just get a different car.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by tha_bandit
    rage, what times are you leaving home/work?
    I leave home at 8:00am - 8:30am every morning.

Originally posted by G
    Haha sorry didn't click to enlarge the pictures...while the rest of us get gas when running low ballers just get a different car.
    What's pathetic is that's exactly what happened, didn't have time to get gas this morning, so I swapped cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Kincora to downtown near the Bow, leave home at 7am.

Bus (Most days): 5-10 minute drive to Sandstone, 25-30 minute bus ride to DT. Usually a 35 minute commute most days. Add 10 minutes for the trip home at 4:30.

Car: 20-25 minutes. Beddington to Deerfoot, to Memorial, then 4 St into downtown and park in the James Short parkade.

First world problems. (Try commuting by car in Beijing)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by mrsingh
    Car: 20-25 minutes. Beddington to Deerfoot, to Memorial, then 4 St into downtown and park in the James Short parkade.
    Is there a secret way to get out onto Symonds Valley Road quickly? There are some mornings where I go to my parents' house in Kincora first, and I always get stacked up trying to turn onto SVR. 5 mins easy in the summer, and 15 mins in the winters.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

Originally posted by rage2

Is there a secret way to get out onto Symonds Valley Road quickly? There are some mornings where I go to my parents' house in Kincora first, and I always get stacked up trying to turn onto SVR. 5 mins easy in the summer, and 15 mins in the winters.
    Be a dick and shoot down the left lane on Kincora Blvd, wait for the light to turn green and turn right into the far lane. Bypass the line of cars waiting... Not that I have ever done that.

My Ride
    X5

Default Re: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

So in the spirit of trying to stop derailing threads, I figured I'd start a new thread about traffic and commutes. Calgary was ranked 5th most congested in Canada this year, behind Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nada-1.2663500

Since a large number of people here are downtown workers which seems to have the most visible commute complaints, let's take a look to see how your daily rush hour commute looks from your home to the office, door to door.

All modes of transportation are welcome. Bus, Bike, Car, anything, as long as it's door to door, and during rush hour (6-9am morning, 4-7pm evenings). We have a good user base here that lives in all areas of the city, so it'll help others determine what communities are downtown worker friendly, and what modes of transport works best.

No need to post detailed logs, but if you have 'em, post 'em. I'm pretty fascinated with traffic patterns, shortcuts, and such, so I know if I'm beating the average or losing each trek.

So from yesterday's thread, I made it home in 19 mins, door to door, and that's hitting about 1/2 of red lights along the route. That's from 8th street/6th Ave SW, to Arbour Lake. My typical commute home runs 20mins +/- 3 mins.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Today's commute to work, I made it in 18mins, door to door. To be fair, I left from the other side of Arbour Lake (where I store my cars) to the office, so it's slightly quicker thanks to a different exit, by maybe a minute. I hit *every* red light on this trip, so that cancel's out the advantage. Generally, it's quicker to go to work than to get home for me, as the lights leaving Arbour Lake isn't exactly timed very nicely, and going to work favors right turns, while coming home favors left turns. I've calculated my average to be 18mins +/- 3 mins.
    ]
    What route do you take to work? Thats phenomenal time IMO...I'm also coming from close by (Hamptons) but it takes upwards of 35-40 minutes for me both ways

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Tuxedo park

8 Minutes to the office if I hit all the lights when I drive including getting out of garage etc.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

Originally posted by Marsh
    What route do you take to work? Thats phenomenal time IMO...I'm also coming from close by (Hamptons) but it takes upwards of 35-40 minutes for me both ways
    Crowchild --> Memorial --> 10th St. Bridge --> 5th Ave --> 8th Street. There's some secret lane maneuvering to bypass the jam over by McMahon. In the winters, my route is quite a bit different, as Crowchild gets jammed up all the way to Brentwood.

My gf actually holds our commute record from home to work. She did it in 14 mins one morning during rush hour in the little B200 when we hit every single green and hit perfect traffic gaps. I haven't been able to match that, and it upsets me. I've been trying for 3 years!

You're screwed for Hamptons, because you have to deal with the traffic to get onto Crowchild, which is what's killing your time. I find the communities North of John Laurie and East of Sarcee is pretty problematic. At least with Hawkwood, you can go backwards onto Nosehill to get onto Crowchild, which is a lot more free flowing than Sarcee, 53rd, or Shaganappi when crossing John Laurie.

I don't think there are any interchange plans in the area, but if they can do John Laurie @ Sarcee, John Laurie @ Shaganappi, and Shaganappi @ Dalhousie Dr, all those communities would easily shave 5-10 mins off their rush hour commutes. Of course the additional unbuffered traffic would probably fuck me over backing up Crowchild more haha.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default Re: Re: Re: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

You're screwed for Hamptons, because you have to deal with the traffic to get onto Crowchild, which is what's killing your time.
    From the Hamptons, I would hit the ring road and back track to Crowchild. Has to be faster than 53rd or Shag. I know some people would go to 14th street or even Center street from that area.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Downtown workers: How long is your rush hour commute?

Originally posted by benyl
    From the Hamptons, I would hit the ring road and back track to Crowchild. Has to be faster than 53rd or Shag.
    Not today, maybe after the C-Train station is opened and they get rid of that long 60km/h zone on Crowchild. It's really slow there.

Also, the turn off from Stoney SW bound --> Crowchild is a single lane turnoff, and for some reason people drive that right lane at really slow speeds in the mornings.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast