Quantcast
hitch installation...bolts wont screw in - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hitch installation...bolts wont screw in

Default hitch installation...bolts wont screw in

This is on a 4 yr old car.

I was test fitting the mounting bolts that come with the hitch. 4 predrilled holes r already on the underside of the car. Only 1 bolt would screw in. Cant even get the other 3 to screw in even 1 rotation.

Suggestions?

If you know for a fact the bolts are the right size for the holes then chase them with a tap.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah, find the right tap for the holes (check what size the bolt is, that did fit, I assume likely 3/8- 1/2" then you can buy a tap for it, tap out the holes then try again. Yeah if the holes are drilled and taped, and not treated they'll start to rust immediately.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Bolts should either fit or not fit. If they don't thread in either the threads are messed up, coarse vs fine thread, or the wrong bolt size altogether.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

^^not going in because of rust. just zapp them in, cross tread better then no tread lol
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

^Uh, yeah, dont ever cross thread a bolt, especially when its for a hitch thats pulling a trailer.
    No, perhaps take a pic of the bolt that works in question, we can tell you what thread pitch it is, what size, and I can find you the right tap for it. My biggest question is, whats the alignment issue with the others that aren't fitting?
    Is the alignment good, but their just not screwing in at all? are they catching at least?
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

The installation sheet that came with the hitch says

M10x1X25x30 CL8.8
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Come to think of it, only 1 screwed in about 1/3 of the way

The other 3 wouldn't even catch at the initial part of threading
    Last edited by Seks; 06-09-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Another pic..hopefully shows up this time
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

What kind of a car is this going on? I had the same problem putting the hitch on my 07 Xterra.

I just used a tap to clean out the hole basically and it slid in a lot better.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

If I am seeing things correctly the problem is the bolts-there are no threads on it.

My Ride

So thats 100% a metric bolt, it'll have very different threads then an imperial/UNC bolt. The name, M10, (metric 10) should be your first clue.
    (want to know a tip on how you can tell? Metric bolts will always have numbers like the one you took a pic of. Imperial/UNC bolts will always have this on the bolt heads.

note the lines pointing towards the center? that'll ALWAYS be on imperial/UNC bolts. Metric bolts will never have that, usually just letters and numbers.

So I'd use a 3/8" bolt, then a 1/2" bolt, and see if they'll fit the (nut) threads that they'd need to feed into. Sounds like you're trying to feed a metric bolt into a UNC hole, which will never work, and you'll either damage the nut threads, or at least the bolt threads.

Their 100% not compatible, so dont force it, or you'll wreck one, or both
    Are those the bolts your hitch kit came with? I assume not, if so, did you buy it used? VERY odd they'd include metric bolts for a UNC hitch package.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-09-2014 at 09:37 PM.

If I am seeing things correctly the problem is the bolts-there are no threads on it.
    There are threads...let me take a better pic...

Their 100% not compatible, so dont force it, or you'll wreck one, or both
    Well the thing is...these are the bolts that came with the Hidden Hitch 87440 and supposedly specific to my 2010 crv. So you're saying wrong size bolts were included with the kit?

My Ride

^ If its going on a CRV, it'll very likely have Metric bolts all over it (since Japan is fully metric, a lot more so then we are, since we have some idiot amurican's as neighbors). So I find all this quite odd, since you have metric bolts that came in that kit. If the first one screwed in 1/3 the way, then thats the right bolt for it, likely there is just rust or contaminants in the nut end of the threads, so that'll need to be tapped out. If you were trying to put a UNC bolt into a metric nut, it would catch, and do perhaps 1 or so turns before it pulls tight, and started to become cross threaded. 1/3 the way is quite far, so you have the right bolts in question, Im really leaning on the idea that your threads are just badly contaminated and need to be taped at this point, I think your bolt selection is just fine.

OK..so I guess I just need to get an M10-1.25 tap then and go from there

My Ride

^ yes exactly. Id call a place like home depot, or KMS tools (etc) before driving all the way over there.

you'll want to mention these numbers as well, since these state what the thread pitch is.
    M10X1X25x30 CL8.8
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You guys are driving me nuts its M10x1.25x30 :P

1.25 is a common thread pitch but the M10 is a fairly large tap and I find a lot of places don't carry that big.

Pretty sure HD won't have that tap. They have next to nothing for metric taps or die's.

Best off princess auto or canadian tire, it'll be in a whole set, not individually.

Calling Canadian tire with this question.... have fun with that.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Pretty sure HD won't have that tap. They have next to nothing for metric taps or die's.

Best off princess auto or canadian tire, it'll be in a whole set, not individually.

Calling Canadian tire with this question.... have fun with that.
    Cambodian Tire is garbage, don't support that kind of business, they need to fail soon and people buying stuff from them doesn't help that.

Lordco either has them or can order them for you.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by GTS4tw
    Cambodian Tire is garbage, don't support that kind of business, they need to fail soon and people buying stuff from them doesn't help that.

Lordco either has them or can order them for you.
    "That kind of business"? What kind is that kind of business?

I have this set that I picked up for $30 on sale. It's been great, and saved the day quite a few times now.
    Last edited by codetrap; 06-11-2014 at 02:07 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast