Quantcast
Condo Management Issues - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Condo Management Issues

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Condo Management Issues

Having issues with my condo management company and not sure what to do at this point if I have any grounds to seek legal aid or not.

Long read but need to know whole story to understand. Our condo was built in 2005. Use to be apartments then they converted it to single condo units. I've lived in it since 2008-13. From 2008-12 we were maintained by Parterre Property Corp. They got canned and now we're managed by Ayre & Oxford. Both companies are shit.

During the 5 years I've lived there, I've had 16-18 water pipe leaks from the hot water line coming into my unit. 5 of these leaks were major enough that required the whole condo's laminate flooring to replaced. 5 times they've replaced my flooring of whole condo. Most of these leaks are related to when building was built, they used cheap copper piping back then and not heavy duty commercial grade or PEX piping. Leaks were happening every 6 months frequently. Pin hole found, plumber comes in and patches the pin hole. Rinse and repeat.

Fast forward to present, another leak. Flooring needs to be replaced, but this time, they realize since we've had so many leaks, they decide to replace all the hot water lines coming in with plastic PEX piping. (Yay, they smartened up *knock on wood it doesn't leak again but probably will)

My issue is, the first couple times it leaked and they changed my flooring (when Parterre was managing), after the laminate was laid out, there was massive gaps everywhere and the contractors HOT GLUED the transitions onto our carpets. We complained, nothing was done with transitions and for the gaps, they came in and glued them together. All other gaps were left and said this was normal.

They replaced my flooring again (Ayre & Oxford) and surprise surprise my flooring has gaps all over the place, but this time, the transitioned are installed correctly, no hot glue. I complain about the gaps, they send someone in (it takes them months to respond and send someone) and from what it looks like, he used a pink caulk like substance in all the gaps. Is this common practice?Cause it looks like shit. I thought they would take up all flooring to eliminate the gaps but this is garbage. I've complained to the Property Manager and she either deflects it, ignores me completely. It's been 5 years of headaches and now the condo is damaged from their installs. Takes many months of emails complaining for them to do anything and when they do, its below par quality work. Maybe emailing Mike Holmes will get better results and they will expose this company. I've been more than patient with dealing with all these leaks but I've had enough.

As well, every time the contractors come in to fix the ceiling from the leaks, they do not tarp up anything and there is drywall dust all over my furniture and entire condo. I complained and they said they cut me a cheque for cleaning company but its been months and I'm still waiting.

*I no longer live in the condo, but I still manage/take care of it. My little sister currently lives in it now*
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-15-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Here is pictures of the gaps and pictures of their repair job after.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version

After

click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Not even close to normal haha. Hack job done by retards.

I'd send them a formal letter via registered mail asking for the problems to be fixed and the cheque issued as promised, then if you can, small claims.
    Last edited by FraserB; 06-15-2014 at 11:38 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

buuuurrrutal

My Ride
    Lease

Not normal. Even grade 7 shop class should do better job than that.

That's no place for your little sis to live in

Wtf? Did they even take the baseboards off during the install? And in 4th pic you can see a perfect seam (no staggering) - is the whole place like that? Everything should be staggered - that's an absolutely terrible job. Even a 12 year old and Google could do a better job. I'd fight that one for sure. Tell them to hire someone with slightly more construction knowledge than a chimp next round.

Wow. This is why I am on the board of the building I am in to make sure the board makes smart decisions. We over rule the condo management so many times with better contractors, engineers, etc.

Good luck. What a shitty situation. PS, had a similar issue to you, floors damage due to leak and they were fixed, gaps in between, not happy. Floor got damaged again and this time I am going to be finding the contractor and overseeing it myself. Can't trust the list of friends, I mean contractors, property management companies have. Sigh.

I have a similar set of hilariously bad work images from tradespeople in my condo after some flood damage.

If there is an insurance company involved, you may have better luck talking to them directly.

Most of my dealings are with the contractor lead when trying to resolve issues (and there are many).

It actually blows my mind how bad these guys are, honestly. I could EASILY do a better job myself after watching a few YouTube videos. I don't know where they find these guys but what surprises me the most is when they say they are done, and leave you with work like in the photos you have posted. Guaranteed that work would not be acceptable in their own homes.

I've been fighting since February, it's like pulling teeth. And, of course, they just want the same retards to come in and try fix it again and again rather than sending someone who knows what they're doing once, which is likely way cheaper than 6 service calls.

If you can, get the condo company to withhold funds from the contractor. That's what I've done and it seems to be one of the few things I can do to get the power back on my side. Beware that if you do this, they have 45 days since the last time they entered your unit to put a lien on your house if they wish.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    Wow. This is why I am on the board of the building I am in to make sure the board makes smart decisions. We over rule the condo management so many times with better contractors, engineers, etc.

Good luck. What a shitty situation. PS, had a similar issue to you, floors damage due to leak and they were fixed, gaps in between, not happy. Floor got damaged again and this time I am going to be finding the contractor and overseeing it myself. Can't trust the list of friends, I mean contractors, property management companies have. Sigh.

When the flooring was damaged the 2nd time, I took a week off of work to be at home while they fixed it to watch and over-see them. And they did a good job, flooring was good no gaps. It was after they installed and a few days later, the gaps started to form. Which is weird, because it is just laminate, and not hardwood. My condo is very humid and hot being on the top floor and east facing. Is laminate supposed to be left in the condo for a week or so to climatize like hardwood is?

I don't even know how to contact my condo board. Theres no information in our lobby. Not even sure they would even care to do anything as this has been going on for 5 years+. Thats why I'm tired of contacting management to complain when they don't care, they've already received our condo fee payments so thats why they send shoddy contractors. When I confronted the management company about the drywall dust everywhere and the gaps, the Maintenance Supervisor said the Flooring Contractors boss was out of town so the guys did whatever they wanted, and that they fired that company and aren't using them anymore. Well whatever 2nd company they did hire to do repairs is even more hack job.

I'm just sick of complaining and waiting and dealing with this. After 5 years of this, they should be doing whatever they can to correct the situation so it never happens again, but instead they cut corners and service call after service call. Even the Managements Company said they would send the Maintenance Supervisor of all the Condo's they manage to inspect the finished result. Either he hasn't come or he is fine with the end result which is bullshit. And its not like I'm being un-reasonable. I'm pretty sure other people would of went postal with them after having it leak 16-17 times within a 3-6 months interval of each incident.
    Last edited by dj_rice; 06-16-2014 at 03:39 PM.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

On the board I'm on for my rental, we had to stop using our management company's contractors for anything. Their jack-of-all-trades people were truly masters of none and performed DIY quality work at master craftsman hourly bill rates. As was mentioned above, don't trust their in house contractors, or the guys they recommend. Ask them to get a quote from 2 companies you specify yourself.

My Ride

Originally posted by carson blocks
    On the board I'm on for my rental, we had to stop using our management company's contractors for anything. Their jack-of-all-trades people were truly masters of none and performed DIY quality work at master craftsman hourly bill rates. As was mentioned above, don't trust their in house contractors, or the guys they recommend. Ask them to get a quote from 2 companies you specify yourself.

At this point, am I allowed to hire outside contractors and send them the bill? I fear doing it this way, they will not even pay the bill as evidenced still waiting on a cheque to clean my condo from them.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by dj_rice

At this point, am I allowed to hire outside contractors and send them the bill? I fear doing it this way, they will not even pay the bill as evidenced still waiting on a cheque to clean my condo from them.
    No, you'll have to go to the board first, tell them the repair is unacceptable (give them the photos etc) and ask them to get quotes from other companies (preferably companies you've heard good reviews about). If you just get it repaired and send the bill in, it likely won't get reimbursed.

Maybe consider getting on the board too. It's a bit of a PITA sometimes, but usually the board members have no skill with mechanical repairs or renovations and get taken for a ride by contractors. We had pinhole problems too related to incorrect work done by contractors working for our management company.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 06-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Your board doesn't have a facebook page? Email account? Notices around the building?

Do you not attend the AGM every year that is posted? This is a great place to meet your board and property manager and to air your grievances at the end of the meeting.

Feel you for, it definitely shouldn't be that way. You can even join the board at the AGM and be more apart of the process and maybe get some headway into your problem.

My Ride

Your board doesn't have a facebook page? Email account? Notices around the building?

Do you not attend the AGM every year that is posted? This is a great place to meet your board and property manager and to air your grievances at the end of the meeting.

Feel you for, it definitely shouldn't be that way. You can even join the board at the AGM and be more apart of the process and maybe get some headway into your problem.

I contacted the Management Company to get contact info on my condo board and was told they are not allowed to give out that information and that I should email my complaint in to them and that they will forward it to the Condo Board.

LOL I've been emailing my complaints in for the past 5 years, why haven't they been forwarding them to the Condo Board then .....

My Ride
    Exploded.

I contacted the Management Company to get contact info on my condo board and was told they are not allowed to give out that information and that I should email my complaint in to them and that they will forward it to the Condo Board.

LOL I've been emailing my complaints in for the past 5 years, why haven't they been forwarding them to the Condo Board then .....
    Now that is fucked up. When you made an offer to the place, did you get a stack of condo docs? Those usually have board member names and contact info (unit #, phone #, etc.).

I got those in exchange of an offer.

My Ride

Originally posted by flipstah

Now that is fucked up. When you made an offer to the place, did you get a stack of condo docs? Those usually have board member names and contact info (unit #, phone #, etc.).

I got those in exchange of an offer.

Yes, but that was 5 years ago. There was entire Condo Board change a year and half ago IIRC after the new Management Company took over.

But looks like they emailed me back a response after seeing that I CC'ed my lawyer as well. I'll update what they say

My Ride
    Lease

Ask the management company for last meeting "minute book"... Should have records of who attended (usually at least 3 board of directors/residence) and records which unit spoke up.

The city also has the list of Board of Directors. It has to get filed to the city every year after the AGM.

You didn't answer my question - so I am assuming you've never gone to an AGM? That's the place you see everyone face to face. You really need to go to one!

My Ride

The city also has the list of Board of Directors. It has to get filed to the city every year after the AGM.

You didn't answer my question - so I am assuming you've never gone to an AGM? That's the place you see everyone face to face. You really need to go to one!
    Sorry no. I never have attended the AGM. The hours I work, never allowed for me to attend/nor the desire to which was a mistake that has gone on this long.

But anyways, looks like some head-way has happened after they seen that I emailed my lawyer as well.

I got a response email that they apologize for all the issues I've experienced and yada yada, and that they would like to replace my entire flooring of the condo AGAIN as "fair" compensation for all the issues I've had in the past/present. And they are expecting an email to see if I accept this offer.

If I do accept this offer, do I let their flooring contractor do the work or find another company of my choosing? I don't want to be paying out of pocket if my company choosing charges more?

Do I get to choose the laminate type/color?

As well, should laminate be left in the condo to climatize so that the gap issue does not arise in the future again?

I want this to be done and after with this last time.

As well, should laminate be left in the condo to climatize so that the gap issue does not arise in the future again?

Yes 100%. Put in the middle of the room away from walls for 48 hours minimum.

Think every time I've done flooring we did it for two days but some people even recommend three.
    I've only done it twice but even my first attempt at it was problem free, did they hire a bunch of high school kids to install your floor?

Not to mention, from what I understand not doing so can void the warranty on your flooring as well.
    Last edited by Mista Bob; 06-18-2014 at 03:22 AM.