Quantcast
Supreme Court Rules ISPs Cannot Hand Over Subscriber Information Without a Warrent - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Supreme Court Rules ISPs Cannot Hand Over Subscriber Information Without a Warrent

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Default Supreme Court Rules ISPs Cannot Hand Over Subscriber Information Without a Warrent

Link

The Supreme Court disagreed that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy for the data obtained by police.
    "In my view, in the totality of the circumstances of this case, there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in the subscriber information," Supreme Court Justice Thomas Cromwell wrote.
    "The disclosure of this information will often amount to the identification of a user with intimate or sensitive activities being carried out online, usually on the understanding that these activities would be anonymous."
    Obviously this derails some of the new bills put forward by the conservatives. And copyright trolls will likely think twice about any P2P lawsuits.

My Ride
    Bicycle

This also put Bill C-13 on notice and possible rewrite.

Good job, Supreme court.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

And here's why we don't live in an oppressive regime. We have the Supreme Court which can and will bitch-slap the government when required.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-02-2019 at 09:57 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Works for me

My Ride
    Car

Makes me happy, just got one of those emails from Shaw for downloading a certain movie the other day. Fuck that noise.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:41 AM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by woodywoodford
    Makes me happy, just got one of those emails from Shaw for downloading a certain movie the other day. Fuck that noise.
    Heh. So did I. Grrr..."you made available this shitty movie". But I don't seed/upload. Ever. I use a client where that can be disabled completely. The basis of these threats is that you have to share to download which is completely false. Its called leeching dumbasses....Not to mention the fact I never downloaded this movie. I saw 300: Rise of an empire in the theatre. I would never subject myself to that again (though Eva Green )

Anyways, just decided to go with a giganews diamond membership. You get a premium vypervpn membership with it too. I get 35Mb/s with the vpn so its pretty fast. Plus, I can use PPTP on my router with it. American Netflix on the PS3

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by frizzlefry

Heh. So did I. Grrr..."you made available this shitty movie". But I don't seed/upload. Ever. I use a client where that can be disabled completely. The basis of these threats is that you have to share to download which is completely false. Its called leeching dumbasses....Not to mention the fact I never downloaded this movie. I saw 300: Rise of an empire in the theatre. I would never subject myself to that again (though Eva Green )

Anyways, just decided to go with a giganews diamond membership. You get a premium vypervpn membership with it too. I get 35Mb/s with the vpn so its pretty fast. Plus, I can use PPTP on my router with it. American Netflix on the PS3
    Ughh, giganews is way too overpriced compared to many of the other options. Especially the other highwinds resellers since it's the same server as giganews but cheaper.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by kaput
    Does this mean I can download stuff without going to jail?
    No but they can gather info until they get court approval.

PC want warrantless tab via C13, then label you a terrorist with C24 and take away your citizenship. All bypassing court if possible and no recourse for the accused.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Lets see how the die hard religious, Peter McKay responds to this ....

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by pheoxs

Ughh, giganews is way too overpriced compared to many of the other options. Especially the other highwinds resellers since it's the same server as giganews but cheaper.
    Yeah its more but the diamond account is bundled with a premium vyprvpn membership (worth 15 bucks a month) and a bunch of other GoldenFrog security services. So the usenet portion only costs 12 bucks a month really. So torrents are now secure, you get usenet, secure DNS services, american NetFlix on the PS3 via a vyprvpn tunnel on your router (which is basically like legally acquiring 500 movies)....its worth it.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Easy. It costs the Conservative crooks nothing to write laws that are clearly a violation of our rights as defined by the Charter.

But it costs us serious coinage to fight something all the way upto the Supreme Court.

There should be a new law.

Violation of our rights, especially "on purpose" = life in jail.

So, what will they do? Nothing, maybe a slight rewrite, present it as necessary to protect their corporate masters, and push it through anyway.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Toma
    But it costs us serious coinage to fight something all the way upto the Supreme Court.
    Technically it cost us serious coin to get nowhere. A pederass spent coin getting this in front of the supreme court. And the judges said the police could use the fruit from the poison tree anyways despite their decision because it would be counter active to justice. (only because the police acted in good faith, going forward warrants are required)

So the pedophile got the supreme Court to make a great ruling and ended up losing anyways.

I love our justice system sometimes.