Quantcast
Electrician to put in some new lights? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrician to put in some new lights?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Electrician to put in some new lights?

I have a couple areas in my home where I'd like pot lights put in. Before you even say it, I'm not doing it myself (I have neither the knowledge or the time).

Recommendations of an electrician that can take care of it for me? They'll need to wire the light in and make the mounts (put holes in the ceiling, etc.)

Thanks!

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Look up JAS Electrial Contractors...get a quote from a few places and compare.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Does spikerS do electrical?

My Ride

Originally posted by jwslam
    Does spikerS do electrical?
    lol I bet if I asked he would, but then we'd probably get into a debate about climate change or something

Is the ceiling accessible via attic?

My Ride

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Is the ceiling accessible via attic?
    The upper floor, yes. Not on the main floor. It's a two story townhouse w/ basement.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Sorry to hijack thread, but I am also looking for an electrician to put a sub panel in my detached garage and add some additional lights.

All the wiring is already in the garage, just need to add some more lighting and the panel.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Bump! looking for an electrician to install a plug and move some in my basement
    PM me please

PM me if you want to put in LED panel lights instead of the old style pot lights. It should be cheaper, they're dimmable, easier to install, and use a helluva lot less electricity.

My Ride
    2005 F350

what are these LED panel lights? never heard of them. any links to pictures of styles and things that are available?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2005 F350

Nevermind. just googled it. It looks very industrial and commercial. not house friendly imo.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Has AWD

Im very encourged by this thread, im currently a 1st year and just wrapping up my 1st month of wiring houses doing finishing(pre's/finals) and will be happy to take on some side jobs next year keep this thread alive beyond

Originally posted by MGCM
    Im very encourged by this thread, im currently a 1st year and just wrapping up my 1st month of wiring houses doing finishing(pre's/finals) and will be happy to take on some side jobs next year keep this thread alive beyond
    As an apprentice you don't have the ability to pull the proper permits.

A homeowner can pull a "homeowners permit" but if you read the fine print it stipulates that if the homeowner pulls the permit, the homeowner must complete the work. If an electrical apprentice/journeyman is completing the work a permit must be pulled by a Master electrician.

In addition "side jobs" do not fall under the supervision of your direct supervisor (the person signing your Blue Book), meaning you're performing unsupervised electrical work, a MAJOR no no. If the Apprenticeship Board finds out they could terminate your apprenticeship. I've seen it happen. I've also seen employers request termination when they found out apprentices were doing "side jobs" and using company materials and equipment to complete them.

Also you have no insurance. Anything goes wrong and damage to property or personal injury occurs you could be held personally responsible. You've also put the homeowner in a very compromising position when it comes to their homeowners insurance.

Finally Revenue Canada isn't real fond of undeclared income.

I know when you're an apprentice the appeal of some extra cash is hard to resist, but you must be aware of all the possible consequences. Tradespeople love "side jobs", it really hurts the legitimacy of our industry though. People with a professional designation would never think of operating outside the scope and restrictions that designation sets forth, but Tradespeople do it all the time for a few extra bucks.

Ultimately it's up to you, it's your career, as someone with experience I'm just trying to give you the whole picture so you can make an informed decision. If given all that info you still decide to take on some "side jobs" then take this last piece of advise, keep it REAL quiet, word of mouth stuff, don't talk about it here on a public forum

Wasn't trying to derail the thread, hopefully there's some info here for homeowners as well when it comes to hiring Tradespeople.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

A homeowner can pull a "homeowners permit" but if you read the fine print it stipulates that if the homeowner pulls the permit, the homeowner must complete the work. If an electrical apprentice/journeyman is completing the work a permit must be pulled by a Master electrician.

In addition "side jobs" do not fall under the supervision of your direct supervisor (the person signing your Blue Book), meaning you're performing unsupervised electrical work, a MAJOR no no. If the Apprenticeship Board finds out they could terminate your apprenticeship. I've seen it happen. I've also seen employers request termination when they found out apprentices were doing "side jobs" and using company materials and equipment to complete them.

Also you have no insurance. Anything goes wrong and damage to property or personal injury occurs you could be held personally responsible. You've also put the homeowner in a very compromising position when it comes to their homeowners insurance.

I know when you're an apprentice the appeal of some extra cash is hard to resist, but you must be aware of all the possible consequences. Tradespeople love "side jobs", it really hurts the legitimacy of our industry though. People with a professional designation would never think of operating outside the scope and restrictions that designation sets forth, but Tradespeople do it all the time for a few extra bucks.

Ultimately it's up to you, it's your career, as someone with experience I'm just trying to give you the whole picture so you can make an informed decision. If given all that info you still decide to take on some "side jobs" then take this last piece of advise, keep it REAL quiet, word of mouth stuff, don't talk about it here on a public forum

Wasn't trying to derail the thread, hopefully there's some info here for homeowners as well when it comes to hiring Tradespeople.
    +1000.

You probably just saved a bunch of poeple some major headaches. Great response.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

i will make it real simple FUCK THE GOVERNMENT. See, told u it was easy. If someone wanted a switch changed from old school toggle to a newer decora type then who the fuk would pull a permit for 1 switch? Now if the whole house was being changed then I would be seeking a master electrician to assist me with permit ect. The government likes to play all sorts of games, time for them to realize that the rest of us WILL NOT take it lying down. When someday they realize they are not God, perhaps then we can all sing kumbaiya and hold hands because all the stupid games will be over. But since that will NEVER HAPPEN, i simply stick to FUCK THE GOVERNMENT.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Oookay.. well.. based on your rant of "fuck the gov't", and your implied lack of knowledge of the current code, I wouldn't use you. By implied lack of knowledge, I'm referring to the fact that you don't need to pull a permit to change switches, receptacles, fixtures or breakers.

Of course, that could be different if you're a Master Electrician, as I'm referring to the Homeowner Permit.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by MGCM

i will make it real simple FUCK THE GOVERNMENT. See, told u it was easy. If someone wanted a switch changed from old school toggle to a newer decora type then who the fuk would pull a permit for 1 switch? Now if the whole house was being changed then I would be seeking a master electrician to assist me with permit ect. The government likes to play all sorts of games, time for them to realize that the rest of us WILL NOT take it lying down. When someday they realize they are not God, perhaps then we can all sing kumbaiya and hold hands because all the stupid games will be over. But since that will NEVER HAPPEN, i simply stick to FUCK THE GOVERNMENT.
    Have you completed your first year of institutional training yet? You seem unfamiliar with the scope of the CEC.

The laws that govern the CEC are incredibly reasonable, and actually pretty easy to comply with. Remember as the Tradesperson you can be held criminally responsible for negligence causing injury or death, ignorance is not a defence, and I'm not sure "fuck the government" is going to get you far in a courtroom. Also you have a responsibility to your customer, that's a professional ethics thing, if you want to operate with a "fuck the government" attitude make sure you're up front about it with potential customers, otherwise you set yourself up for future litigation.

Please also remember that the government and the people of this province are subsidizing heavily your training. Not really fair to tell them to "fuck themselves" considering that.

Finally, as I mentioned in my initial post Tradespeople are constantly battling to be seen as more than greasy tool monkeys who don't give a shit. We want to be seen as professionally skilled and trained members of the workforce. A large part of gaining that legitimacy is following the rules, whether you agree with them or not. "Fuck the government" isn't helping things. If you don't like the rules, change them. Among the people who write the CEC are electrical instructors, contractors and Safety Codes Officers, all of which you're capable of becoming.

If you just don't give a shit, then hey whatever, as mentioned just keep it quiet, fly under the radar.

Maybe I'll make it out to one of the meets and we can discuss things even further, typing out a diatribe often doesn't accomplish what a 5 minute conversation could.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Subbed for MGCM's reply

My Ride

This thread.... went in a surprising direction.

Originally posted by A790
    This thread.... went in a surprising direction.
    Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 08-27-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast