Quantcast
New to the Bike world - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to the Bike world

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

Default New to the Bike world

I've been into tuning and driving JDMs hard for a while. But, I'd like to switch it up for the summer and get a bit into street bikes. I have some little experience dirt biking and that from when I was younger. I'd like to get started into something small-ish (i.e. ~600CC). Main reason I'm looking to start small is to not tempt myself too much into over doing it well I'm fresh on the roads.

ANYWAYS. I'm looking for advice on what to look for when checking out privately sold bikes, opinions on what to pay for Price:Kilometer etc. What are opinions on good starter bikes. I love the look of R6's and GSX-r's and that. Not a huge Ninja fan, don't mind CBR's. But, this is just all from my own speculation on these bikes. I would appreciate any and all advice!

-Thanks!
    Current vehicle: 2006 BMW 330XI & 2007 R1

Previous Vehicles: 2007 R6 - 2006 Acura TSX 6MT - 2008 BMW 328XI - 2007 Infiniti G35 6MT - 2009 BMW 335i X-drive - 2003 Infiniti G35 - 2004 R6 - 2007 Slammed VW R -2003 BMW 330I -1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-T -2002 Ford Mustang -1985 Caddy Eldorado -'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Mitsu Turbo -1996 Mitsubishi Evo IV GSR -2004 Dodge Dakota SLT+ -2003 Subaru WRX -2000 BMW 740i -1995 Nissan Skyline GTS25-T (Stock RB25) -1990 Nissan Sil40 (KA24DE) -1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (JDM 7M-GTE) -2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V -1997 GMC Sierra 1500 (350 6" lift) -1989 Nissan 240SX SE (KA24E '93 body style) -1995 Acura Integra LE (Worst car I ever owned) -1995 Acura Integra Type R (B18B1 prepped for turbo, but never turbo'd)

My Ride
    V8s

Search for one of the billion threads on this.

Take home points:

-If you start on a 600 supersport, you still have to be smart about it. They have more than enough power to kill yourself or someone else.

-Suggested first rides: ninja 650R, SV650, maybe an FZ8. They are fast enough to be fun, easier to handle than a supersport.

-Set aside budget for good gear. All gear including: Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, GOOD helmet. Don't ride in jeans and a hoodie, trust me, I know from experience that stuff doesn't protect you.

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

Originally posted by cjblair
    Search for one of the billion threads on this.
    -Set aside budget for good gear. All gear including: Boots, pants, jacket, gloves, GOOD helmet. Don't ride in jeans and a hoodie, trust me, I know from experience that stuff doesn't protect you.
    Thanks, yeah gear is definitely a priority!

Previous Vehicles: 2007 R6 - 2006 Acura TSX 6MT - 2008 BMW 328XI - 2007 Infiniti G35 6MT - 2009 BMW 335i X-drive - 2003 Infiniti G35 - 2004 R6 - 2007 Slammed VW R -2003 BMW 330I -1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-T -2002 Ford Mustang -1985 Caddy Eldorado -'87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Mitsu Turbo -1996 Mitsubishi Evo IV GSR -2004 Dodge Dakota SLT+ -2003 Subaru WRX -2000 BMW 740i -1995 Nissan Skyline GTS25-T (Stock RB25) -1990 Nissan Sil40 (KA24DE) -1989 Toyota Supra Turbo (JDM 7M-GTE) -2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V -1997 GMC Sierra 1500 (350 6" lift) -1989 Nissan 240SX SE (KA24E '93 body style) -1995 Acura Integra LE (Worst car I ever owned) -1995 Acura Integra Type R (B18B1 prepped for turbo, but never turbo'd)

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

cj summed it up nicely.

Just be careful on a 600. I've seen shit hit the fan on the little bikes too. I road motocross for years before jumping on a road bike. The experience helped for sure.

Welcome to the club!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah, next time search please, as Ive lost count as to how many of these "new to riding/wanting to get a bike" type threads Ive seen or chimed in on.

For bikes, do NOT get a CBR125. You'll outgrow it in a week, three at the absolute most, then you'll want to sell it. Thats why you see so many CBR125's on Kijiji with 1300km's or less on them.... because people find out that their basically useless as their top speed is 120~, depending on how big of a lunch you had.

Blackfoot has two used (medium blue) Ninja 500's, Both are $4200. Those are wicked bikes to learn on, and like the other ones suggested above this post, they're still fun to ride, yet powerful enough, and not overly heavy.

Much the same with Honda's new CBR500, or even their 250. All the bikes listed so far are twin cylinders, asides from the CBR125 & 250, which is just a single cyl.

So they'll all be quite light and usable on the roads and the highways as well.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

Friends of mine who ride are telling me I'll hate a 600CC and I should go bigger lol. I thought I was being safe with a 600, but if I should start smaller I will. Also, I should mention I'm about 230ibs over 6 feet tall so I will weigh it down a bit.

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

I apologize for not searching before posting, I'm usually a stickler for that kind of stuff. Was just at work and thought I'd make a quick post.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by Zetsu
    Friends of mine who ride are telling me I'll hate a 600CC and I should go bigger lol. I thought I was being safe with a 600, but if I should start smaller I will. Also, I should mention I'm about 230ibs over 6 feet tall so I will weigh it down a bit.
    People who are telling you that are unskilled riders that just crack the throttle and try and go as fast as they can. The real skill is actually learning to RIDE a bike. Any loser can go fast in a straight line. Google Moto3. Those bikes are 250CC and still go like hell. There are VERY few people who can ride the wheels off a 600 let alone a 250. A 600 is a light bike and is very nimble compared to a 1000cc. I rode 600's for 5 years before moving to a 750. There is plenty of power and danger to keep you satisfied. If you find it getting slow, try taking a corner 5kmh faster, youll see that you have a long way to go. Best of luck in your serach and welcome to the community.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    '87 Merkur XR4Ti, '75Nova Custom, '04 CBR600RR

My suggestion if you want a true supersport style bike would be an '06 CBR600 Repliracer. Excellent styling, you can get them for a decent price on the secondary market, and I really prefer the throttle action on the Honda sportbikes, specifically from closed to very low throttle. I've got a first gen 600RR and I've taken it everywhere from here to Vancouver - Race tracks, secondary highways, decomissioned forestry roads - It's never let me down.

I find the Yamahas have an overly aggressive ride, just a bit too harsh for a lot of street riding even though those R6s look ace. I have very little experience with the GSX-R platform so I can't say much for you there other than the fact that they seem more maintenance intensive from what I've heard, but take that with a grain of salt. Any one of the major manufacturers will probably give you a good experience truth be told.

Something that's pretty important is actually sitting the type of bike you want to purchase to make sure that you're not overly cramped. I know some big guys that can ride sportbikes no problem, but I know just as many that say they can't stand the posture at all. Learning to use your thighs to grip the bike and take less strain off your back is pretty important in my experience - I can go about 800km (So, roughly eight hours with no significant breaks) on my CBR before I'm truly uncomfortable, but it was definitely less when I first got it.

Another thing to watch for, especially on a used bike, is play in second and third gear, and sloppy clutch action - Every rocket jockey at one point or another wants to try some wheelies, and excessive catwalking or excessively bad technique can do a number on your powertrain. I prefer to have the bike up on a track stand and run it through the gears a few times to see that there's a nice, positive actuation of the gearbox. The steels and friction plates in the clutch are easy enough to change, but who wants that hassle if you're not getting a killer price? The last obvious things to look for is excessive wear on the sprockets (hooking of the teeth) and warping of the front rotors. The rotors are the more important of the things to check but unfortunately unless the seller is cool with test pilots, very hard to diagnose. Rotors are hella expensive though, so if you *do* get to try before you buy, any constant and noticeable vibration in the front of the bike under breaking is something to watch out for.

But aye, it's something that bears repeating - Even a 600CC sportbike is making upwards of 100HP in a 400lb frame, so have a care with your throttle control.
    Last edited by SecondReversal; 06-16-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Live fast, Die young - But make sure you look good doing it, aye?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Suzuki sv650 and 1000 are GREAT beginner bikes. Very forgiving and easily modifiable to your specs.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I personally hate riding supersport style bikes around town. For general riding, I'd take something like a FZ8 over any 600 as I'd rather have the more upright seating position and an engine with more low end. Most of the guys I see playing racer wannabe on supersport 600/1000 bikes have never seen a track and can't ride for shit anyways. Maybe I'm geting old, but I'm just not interested in Deerfoot commutes on a bike that forces me in to full tuck and makes all it's power north of 10,000rpm.

I like the SV suggestions above, or the FZ6/8. Even as a more experienced rider, I really liked the Kawi ER6n I rented overseas. I haven't ridden a FZ-07 yet, but with the features it offers for around $7k brand new it would be pretty hard to go wrong. All the above will have good power, especially for a newer rider, and will be a ton of fun at a good price point. Don't listen to the people who talk shit about needing a 1000 because they're 200lbs etc. I'm a damn sight heavier than that, and everything bigger than a CBR125 and some 250s work just fine for me. Even for a big guy on a small bike, your power to weight ratio is still way better than most cars out there.

More important than which stressing over bike you want, here's the best advice I can offer to a new rider. Take a good course, buy good gear, and don't ride like an asshole.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 06-17-2014 at 12:34 PM.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Well this is going to be a bit of a rant and I am sorry about that. It's just that some of the comments you made always get under my skin when it comes to new people and bikes. It doesn't help I was just reading the thread about squids vs cagers. I get the spirit of your comments and I honestly am excited to hear someone else wants to get out on the road on two wheels. I love riding and can't imagine my life not spending time on two wheels. I also think its great that you are humble enough to state up front that your new to it and asking advice. Gives me confidence that you won't end up as "a douchebag on a crotch rocket", but someone I would be happy to ride with.

Time for the rant,

Why the fuck do people think buying a 600 supersport bike is entry level?? A good place for a beginner???

This is mainly a car forum so I will put it in car terms. All the 600 sport bikes in the last 5 years have basically had a wet weight of 400lbs and less. Have all been able to put down 100hp minimum at the back wheel. So basically 4 lb per HP. Lets put that in car terms. A 2014 Corvette will easily put down 425hp at the wheels with a wet weight of 3300lbs. 7.76lb per hp. Now your weight won't change between vehicles so I can ignore that. So with a bit of rounding I'm basically at the point of, a 600 supersport bike is almost double the power to weight of a new Vette. How logical is it to just toss the keys of a Corvette to a new driver and tell them to have fun and stay safe while you learn??? This Corvette your learning in is our entry level car, Im sure you will quickly get bored and want to move up.

A 600 supersport is the furthest thing from an entry level bike. Sure you will feel like your fast and really have some skills, but thats a very big misconception. A mediocre driver will seem quick in a corvette compared to that same driver in a corolla. But is it his skill or the machine??? And is the machine actually being pushed hard?? What happens to the rookie when he makes a mistake? That high performance machine is far less forgiving and thats when people get hurt. Which is why you always seem to hear about newer riders crashing and hurting themselves on crotch rockets. They seem to think its an entry level bike to learn on.

So just my take, but get something like an SV650 an fz6 etc. More like buying a GTI or a 3 series coupe. Great car, limits and performance that will still be above your limits. Still gives you a rush and makes you hone your skills to really get fast but rewards when you do.

I really don't expect my rant to change your mind, but I hope it stays floating back there and helps to keep you humble when your riding. Get a bike, and never stop learning how to get better at riding it. You will still smile as much as I do every time I put my leg over mine.
    Last edited by Rowdy; 06-16-2014 at 07:43 PM.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by Rowdy
    Well this is going to be a bit of a rant and I am sorry about that. It's just that some of the comments you made always get under my skin when it comes to new people and bikes. It doesn't help I was just reading the thread about squids vs cagers. I get the spirit of your comments and I honestly am excited to hear someone else wants to get out on the road on two wheels. I love riding and can't imagine my life not spending time on two wheels. I also think its great that you are humble enough to state up front that your new to it and asking advice. Gives me confidence that you won't end up as "a douchebag on a crotch rocket", but someone I would be happy to ride with.

Time for the rant,

Why the fuck do people think buying a 600 supersport bike is entry level?? A good place for a beginner???

This is mainly a car forum so I will put it in car terms. All the 600 sport bikes in the last 5 years have basically had a wet weight of 400lbs and less. Have all been able to put down 100hp minimum at the back wheel. So basically 4 lb per HP. Lets put that in car terms. A 2014 Corvette will easily put down 425hp at the wheels with a wet weight of 3300lbs. 7.76lb per hp. Now your weight won't change between vehicles so I can ignore that. So with a bit of rounding I'm basically at the point of, a 600 supersport bike is almost double the power to weight of a new Vette. How logical is it to just toss the keys of a Corvette to a new driver and tell them to have fun and stay safe while you learn??? This Corvette your learning in is our entry level car, Im sure you will quickly get bored and want to move up.

A 600 supersport is the furthest thing from an entry level bike. Sure you will feel like your fast and really have some skills, but thats a very big misconception. A mediocre driver will seem quick in a corvette compared to that same driver in a corolla. But is it his skill or the machine??? And is the machine actually being pushed hard?? What happens to the rookie when he makes a mistake? That high performance machine is far less forgiving and thats when people get hurt. Which is why you always seem to hear about newer riders crashing and hurting themselves on crotch rockets. They seem to think its an entry level bike to learn on.

So just my take, but get something like an SV650 an fz6 etc. More like buying a GTI or a 3 series coupe. Great car, limits and performance that will still be above your limits. Still gives you a rush and makes you hone your skills to really get fast but rewards when you do.

I really don't expect my rant to change your mind, but I hope it stays floating back there and helps to keep you humble when your riding. Get a bike, and never stop learning how to get better at riding it. You will still smile as much as I do every time I put my leg over mine.

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. My first bike is an R6 600cc "supersports" as you call it and it's a fantastic starter bike.

Just because a 600cc bike wasn't a starting point for you, doesn't mean it's not for others. I rode a 500ex for my test. I was cramped, my knees where in the way, and it was an awful experience.

My 600 allowed me to be comfortable, and a four years later, still has the power to keep me smiling.

The comment "hard tuning imports" is way worse as it has nothing to do with getting a bike. LOL
    Last edited by snowcat; 06-16-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Originally posted by snowcat

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. .....
    True. But if your right wrist is not trained or has the necessary experience, one newbie mistake can be VERY costly. There are people who can learn on a 600cc for sure, but they are the minority.

I rode a 250cc for a month even though I knew I could handle a 600cc - and I'm glad I did because little mistakes on the 250cc had no disastrous consequences. I enjoyed my 600cc much more after than (I did my first road test on a CBR600 - was easy... but still didn't want to get a 600cc for a starter just because it didn't seem like the right thing to do.)

I still made a couple of small mistakes on the R6 I owned, but even the 1 month of experience with the 250 helped a lot on the R6.

My Ride
    '87 Merkur XR4Ti, '75Nova Custom, '04 CBR600RR

Snip~

You know what I hate? Uppity guys that constantly try to tell other people how to live their lives. Don't think that a 600 repliracer is a good starting point? Great. Awesome for you. Don't buy one then - But don't crawl down someone's throat just because in your opinion they're making a bad purchase decision.

You think this guy is such a mouth-breathing retard he can't do a little research on his own? Can't take a little personal responsibility for his actions and choices? Ride that high horse back to wherever you came from, how 'bout.

Is jumping on a superbike right out of the gate the best way to become the next Lorenzo or Stoner or Rossi? Perhaps not - But so fucking what if that's not what this guy is interested in. He didn't ask for you to browbeat him about it, so can the lecture. You want to be helpful? Get off the soapbox and engage in a dialogue.

Fuck's sake, what a fucking nanny state...
    Live fast, Die young - But make sure you look good doing it, aye?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by SecondReversal

You know what I hate?
    You know what I hate? How I can't get my shift indicator lights to illuminate in first gear on my 1000 without breaking every speed limit there is in Alberta.

But in all seriousness, first road bike I jumped on was a Buell xb12r. Little comparable to a 600. Rode for a year, went to a cbr 600, did that until this year, got a 1000. But like I said, I knew how to ride a motorcycle from my motocross days.

Then there's my gf. Never squeezed a clutch lever in her life. Would it be wise for her to learn on a 600. Hell no.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

looking for a comfy bike to bomb around the city in? I think a CBR600 F4 or F4i would suit your needs just fine. I learned on one and its got a very comfortable seating position. I'm 6' 4" and could sit upright comfortably if I didn't feel like riding tucked all the time.

Go to Blackfoot, sit on as many bikes as you can and get a feel for what's comfortable FOR YOU.

My Ride
    2016 Civic / 2016 KTM 1290 SuperDuke GT

Default Re: New to the Bike world

Main reason I'm looking to start small is to not tempt myself too much into over doing it well I'm fresh on the roads.

I would appreciate any and all advice!

-Thanks!
    I'm not telling him how to live his life, ok actually I was.....I said "get a bike"

This is what led to my rant. The people that have his ear are telling him to go bigger. He will be riding with these guys. This mentality that somehow a 600 is little bike and not enough.

Originally posted by civic_stylez

People who are telling you that are unskilled riders that just crack the throttle and try and go as fast as they can. The real skill is actually learning to RIDE a bike. Any loser can go fast in a straight line.
    I'm clearly not the only one with this opinion. It's a hard thing to resist cracking the throttle open when your excited to be with your friends on a ride, and that's what the group is doing

Originally posted by carson blocks
    More important than which stressing over which bike you want, here's the best advice I can offer to a new rider. Take a good course, buy good gear, and don't ride like an asshole.
    Such good advice

Originally posted by snowcat

I dislike posts like yours. A 600cc bike is only as fast as the right wrist. My first bike is an R6 600cc "supersports" as you call it and it's a fantastic starter bike.

Just because a 600cc bike wasn't a starting point for you, doesn't mean it's not for others. I rode a 500ex for my test. I was cramped, my knees where in the way, and it was an awful experience.

My 600 allowed me to be comfortable, and a four years later, still has the power to keep me smiling.

The comment "hard tuning imports" is way worse as it has nothing to do with getting a bike. LOL

This is an opinion that I can respect. And my rant is not really disagreeing with you. I just want the OP to keep in mind exactly what you have said. After 4 years your bike still has it. So many new riders hear exactly what the OP is hearing, " a 600 is not enough". New riders need to understand as you do, its enough and then some for quite awhile.

Originally posted by SecondReversal

You know what I hate? Uppity guys that constantly try to tell other people how to live their lives. Don't think that a 600 repliracer is a good starting point? Great. Awesome for you. Don't buy one then - But don't crawl down someone's throat just because in your opinion they're making a bad purchase decision.

You think this guy is such a mouth-breathing retard he can't do a little research on his own? Can't take a little personal responsibility for his actions and choices? Ride that high horse back to wherever you came from, how 'bout.

Is jumping on a superbike right out of the gate the best way to become the next Lorenzo or Stoner or Rossi? Perhaps not - But so fucking what if that's not what this guy is interested in. He didn't ask for you to browbeat him about it, so can the lecture. You want to be helpful? Get off the soapbox and engage in a dialogue.

Fuck's sake, what a fucking nanny state...
    Fine think me as uppity as you like. But reread what I have said. I have a lot of respect for the OP seeking out more info. Sure my response is a bit heavy handed and preachy I get that. Its like that to hopefully counter a bit of his friends opinions. Feels a lot more like you need to be open to dialogue. Just because I don't want to "Live Fast and Die Young", doesn't put me on a soapbox looking to form the Nanny State. When you lose your mind because a post seems harsh, you risk becoming " a mouth breathing retard"

So back to the OP..... like I said in my post. Get a bike. I look forward to hearing what you chose.

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

~
    All the controversy on this post aside, I appreciate any and all advice as I said. Everyone here has more experience than me and I'm all about hearing opinions from all angles. Controversial or not. When I had first gotten into cars if I hadn't kept an open ear I'd have probably been stuck driving around in my Front-wheel drive integra for years lol.

My Ride
    '06 E90- '07 R1

From reading through these posts and doing some research myself I'm getting the feeling that a FZ6 might be a good starter. Also I don't mind that under $5000 price point at all! Now one of my original questions was on what bikes are worth. For example:

$4800 @ 10,000KM
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring...ationFlag=true

Couple years older but $3500 @ 30,000
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touring...ationFlag=true

If I were buying a used car I'd like something under 200,000KM, but in some cases I could go a little higher. What would be that kind of equivalent to bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast