Quantcast
Building new bigger roads is not the solution - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Building new bigger roads is not the solution

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Default Building new bigger roads is not the solution

There are lots and lots of ideas on beyond about how to curb traffic, its something everyone has an opinion about. Build more lanes, teach people how to drive etc, the thing is all these are just opinions with no evidence that they will work.

Here is a nice simple and interesting read on why building bigger roads will not work backed by real research. In fact they go on to say expanding public transit doesn't even help congestion which is hard to believe. It also comes with a suggestion to solve congestion:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-tr...nduced-demand/

i think certain roads NEED to be bigger as well, like deerfoot and crowfoot. there should not be bottlenecks on major arteries like there is right now.

i think if governments wait just a bit longer and hold off on major roads being built, the new generation of self driving cars may solve alot of the issues we have. the cars would be smaller, would be more "synced" when it comes to spacing and speed and also could be used as a communal service, much like public transit.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

If a city had increased its road capacity by 10 percent between 1980 and 1990, then the amount of driving in that city went up by 10 percent. If the amount of roads in the same city then went up by 11 percent between 1990 and 2000, the total number of miles driven also went up by 11 percent. It’s like the two figures were moving in perfect lockstep, changing at the same exact rate.

Now, correlation doesn’t mean causation. Maybe traffic engineers in U.S. cities happen to know exactly the right amount of roads to build to satisfy driving demand. But Turner and Duranton think that’s unlikely.

A more likely explanation, Turner and Duranton argue, is what they call the fundamental law of road congestion: new roads will create new drivers, resulting in the intensity of traffic staying the same.
    So the entire argument is predicated on the assumption that transportation engineers are utterly hapless at predicting growth and there is no possibility that all the year-round analysis they do does in fact lead to road capacity staying in step with growth. Unpossible. Instead, they've created for themselves a (modestly named) Fundamental Law Of Road Congestion, that says, magically, congestion is constant and bygawd we might as well tax it then.

So, how do they figure taxation will solve everything?

What Turner and Duranton (and many others who’d like to see more rational transportation policy) actually advocate is known as congestion pricing.

This means raising the price of driving on a road when demand is high. During rush hour, drivers would have to pay a fee to use the most congested roads. A few people will balk at the price and say to themselves, “I don’t really need to make this trip right now, I’ll go later.” Roads in your city actually have a great deal of underused capacity. Think about how they sit mostly empty, in the early afternoon, late evening, and at night. If we gave drivers some extra incentive to avoid the most congested hours, we could better utilize the roads’ capacities. The extra cost of driving would also make public transit a more attractive option, leading to more people using it.
    So the solution is that taxation will reduce congestion via giving people incentive to drive at non-peak hours - that's not an idea wholly without merit, but is anyone on Deerfoot at 8AM and 5PM there voluntarily? Congestion in Calgary only really happens during rush hour and unless you think companies are going to start randomizing working hours to avoid a congestion tax, it's foolish to think such an idea would solve anything.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

So the solution is that taxation will reduce congestion via giving people incentive to drive at non-peak hours - that's not an idea wholly without merit, but is anyone on Deerfoot at 8AM and 5PM there voluntarily? Congestion in Calgary only really happens during rush hour and unless you think companies are going to start randomizing working hours to avoid a congestion tax, it's foolish to think such an idea would solve anything.
    I actually think it will work. I think there is a good percentage of cars on the road that are there for businesses, those costs will affect business decisions. There is a good chunk of people who will think twice about taking the rush hour commute and choose to go earlier and leave later. Then there will be the students and those that maybe can't afford the price tag and decide to take alternative means of transport. Carpooling will also now have a financial incentive. All these things add up and might make a winning formula. I think it would be great as a trial on the major roads, Deerfoot, crowchild, glenmore etc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

That article is spot on, and it's what I'm for as well. It's all supply and demand, and why I'm for adding tolls to roads. Visit the big US cities with toll roads, and they aren't congested at all.

With that being said though, we can not simply add tolls and price drivers that can not afford it out of transportation. There needs to be a good balance between roads for drivers, and transit/public transportation for alternate methods of travel.

Hence public transit has to work well enough for an alternate means of travel if drivers are priced out of driving.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by supe

I actually think it will work. I think there is a good percentage of cars on the road that are there for businesses, those costs will affect business decisions. There is a good chunk of people who will think twice about taking the rush hour commute and choose to go earlier and leave later. Then there will be the students and those that maybe can't afford the price tag and decide to take alternative means of transport. Carpooling will also now have a financial incentive. All these things add up and might make a winning formula. I think it would be great as a trial on the major roads, Deerfoot, crowchild, glenmore etc.
    So you are saying just to avoid a tax, you would voluntarily go to work an hour early (unpaid!) and leave and hour late (unpaid!)?

Originally posted by rage2

Hence public transit has to work well enough for an alternate means of travel if drivers are priced out of driving.

I would argue that in a city as both sprawl-happy and core-centric as Calgary, that's a pipe dream. Personally, I'd lean towards an added HOV lane for Deerfoot as a better alternative here. Incredible parking prices didn't fix our downtown congestion problem, why do you think yet another monetary incentive would?

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

A few things, it would be nice if it worked on a credit based system where everyone gets a certain number of free credits every month to start with, that way it doesn't completely price out everyone.

Second, I don't know if I would leave early to avoid the tax but I might, and if enough people are on the fence it could make a big difference.

I finally found the TED video that also backs this solution up:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonas_elias...e_traffic_jams

Major points are, a very small decrease in traffic volume makes a HUGE difference in congestion. Also a very interesting statistic is the public is always against the idea of toll roads but after implementation the public actually supports it. Again its a free service that is now something people have to pay for but people are for it.... because it works!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by supe

Second, I don't know if I would leave early to avoid the tax but I might, and if enough people are on the fence it could make a big difference.
    So that would be a "no", then - your assumption is that the nebulous "other people" will seek to avoid the tax and thus provide you with clearer roadways while doing nothing yourself.

You also seem to be confusing the concept of toll roads and congestion taxes.

My Ride
    W204

I would argue that in a city as both sprawl-happy and core-centric as Calgary, that's a pipe dream. Personally, I'd lean towards an added HOV lane for Deerfoot as a better alternative here. Incredible parking prices didn't fix our downtown congestion problem, why do you think yet another monetary incentive would?
    Dude you high or something? HOV lanes *do not work*.

http://paleale.eecs.berkeley.edu/~va...ps.dir/HOV.pdf

You're reducing the capacity of a roadway and making commute times longer by forcing people onto the other sections of the roadway. And why a TOLL WOULD work because ANYONE can optionally pay the toll, but NOT EVERYONE can use the HOV lane.

Toll seems to be working in London:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...raffic_changes
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by clem24

Dude you high or something? HOV lanes *do not work*.

http://paleale.eecs.berkeley.edu/~va...ps.dir/HOV.pdf

You're reducing the capacity of a roadway and making commute times longer by forcing people onto the other sections of the roadway. And why a TOLL WOULD work because ANYONE can optionally pay the toll, but NOT EVERYONE can use the HOV lane.

Toll seems to be working in London:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_...raffic_changes
    Drawing direct correlation between the SF Bay area, London Metro, and Calgary? If I'm high, you're on another planet. I'd be much happier with just expanding roadway capacity instead of using an HOV method, but if people want to make this "expand transit usefulness" thing happen, they've got to put the buses somewhere. Would you rather just have a fleet of CT bendy buses on Deerfoot in the same passenger lanes as everyone else? I'd love a subway system instead, but that doesn't seem to be an option the City wants to pursue - the sheer area of Calgary makes it a difficult problem to solve - unlike, say, London, where the effective transit system was already in place.

To put it simply, congestion charges work in areas where an effective and useful transit system is already in place - you cannot put the cart before the horse. Calgary's transit system is in no way capable of supporting this, and making it so would require an incredible influx of money.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Toll road make sense at long as money from tolls go directly into public transit and not some for profit organization.

This makes so much sense.

This means raising the price of driving on a road when demand is high. During rush hour, drivers would have to pay a fee to use the most congested roads.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Just cap calgary's population and let congestion solve itself as boomers die out
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

So that would be a "no", then - your assumption is that the nebulous "other people" will seek to avoid the tax and thus provide you with clearer roadways while doing nothing yourself.

You also seem to be confusing the concept of toll roads and congestion taxes.
    NO, that would be a maybe. Some days I might some days I might not. Expand my thinking process to the general public and congestion goes down. Life is not that hard.

I see toll roads and congestion pricing as the same thing, its how I would implement the charges. Not a toll booth but with automated cameras.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:00 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Short term, there will be pain....however in the long term (30-50 years) it will change the makeup of the city entirely. We will likely have multiple "cores" in the city that are surrounded by commercial and residential areas.

Vancouver will likely implement this entire (toll) concept first, they have followed this model of planning for decades (decentralization).

Perhaps aerial trams, or some other connection, would likely link the cores together.

My Ride
    Grimace

Since we have no room to construct HOV lanes, it would make things much worse by taking a lane away and not having room for the infrastructure required for the lanes. HOV lanes in the US are much different than just paint on the road.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by schocker
    Since we have no room to construct HOV lanes, it would make things much worse by taking a lane away and not having room for the infrastructure required for the lanes. HOV lanes in the US are much different than just paint on the road.
    Of course, hence why I said added HOV. To run a time-restricted HOV using the existing roadway would be folly.

My Ride
    W204

Of course, hence why I said added HOV. To run a time-restricted HOV using the existing roadway would be folly.
    Doesn't that make your argument even worse? Now we're SPENDING MORE money to create ineffective extra lanes? When really we could just spend the money, create a toll lanes... Or even free lanes for everyone.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by clem24

Doesn't that make your argument even worse? Now we're SPENDING MORE money to create ineffective extra lanes? When really we could just spend the money, create a toll lanes... Or even free lanes for everyone.
    Feel free to go back and read where I explained why I mentioned the HOV lane and how it relates to transit use in Calgary.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

I wonder how much eliminating large truck use during rush hours would help. I've recently noticed how much these things can completely screw up traffic flow during my commute.
    Vettel's #1

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast