Quantcast
Fighting a $250 transit ticket? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fighting a $250 transit ticket?

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

You should fight it regardless (if you have no issue going to court for the day), worst case they'll say no and you're back to square 1.

When I was younger I was in a similar situation. I moved here from a different city that had different transit rules, explained my situation to the judge (which I was 30 mins late for too lol) and she let me off with a warning.

Maybe they'll reduce the fine, maybe they take it all away. Only one way to find out.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
    Same applies for POs. I get paid to go to court, whether it's a scheduled day of work or not. If I'm already working, then I get no "bonus" to go to court.
    What would encourage a cop to not show up for a court date? I always heard one should attempt to get a court date on a Friday of a long weekend. Any truth to this?

Originally posted by Feruk

What would encourage a cop to not show up for a court date? I always heard one should attempt to get a court date on a Friday of a long weekend. Any truth to this?
    We can't just not show up for a court date. It's part of our duties, and we are lawfully obligated to be there unless we can't attend for some other lawful purpose or reason. It's the same as any other witness not showing up without lawful excuse, except we don't have witness warrants issued for our arrest. Court isn't optional.

To address Euro838: we get paid for court because it's part of our job, and because of the duties we engage in when we are on "scheduled shift" we end up in court on days off when we are scheduled off. We don't have any says whatsoever in when trial dates are, if court happens on days on or days off, etc.

There is no incentive for us to show up, aside from not being stuck with a neglect of duty charge under the PSA. I don't like going to court on days off, regardless of being paid for it. I want my days off, because it takes at least 2 days for me to recover from working nights as part of my regular duties and that leaves me with two other days off to go and have fun and get other things done.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Go to the court date, take responsibility, explain your situation, and they will reduce it to $150 or $100 depending how much they like you.

Works every time. Just have to determine if its worth your time.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Ive noticed quite the crackdown in June on CT. From December to May i was asked for a fare proof once. So far in June its not uncommon for me to get checked on my way to and from work. Just a heads up for those that are fare jumping. I see them taking people off the train daily and the excuses just flood out of the people that are caught... "Isnt Anderson part of the free fare zone??? I didnt know." Im sure those peace officers have heard everything.

Only thing that really pisses me off is the indians that jump the train. The peace officers just throw them off because they know theres no point in writing a ticket because it wont get paid. Theyre loud, arrogant and a bunch of other things that anyone who takes the train knows where im coming from....
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    2005 F350

my wife recently got a warning from a CT cop. it was like the 2nd or 3rd day of the month and she had forgotten to buy a new bus pass. they gave her a warning because they saw all the previous months passes that she had bought.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Let's get this straight... CPS doesn't get "significant" cash incentive to show up for court. If it's on a day off, they're paid (and paid OT) to go to court. If you had to go to work on your day off, you'd probably demand to be paid as well.

Same applies for POs. I get paid to go to court, whether it's a scheduled day of work or not. If I'm already working, then I get no "bonus" to go to court.
    Well, the information that I received was from the wife of a CPS officer and she definitely made it sound like the incentive was more from a monetary perspective than upholding the law. Sorry if there was confusion there and obviously this was based from only one person.

Originally posted by civic_stylez
    Only thing that really pisses me off is the indians that jump the train. The peace officers just throw them off because they know theres no point in writing a ticket because it wont get paid. Theyre loud, arrogant and a bunch of other things that anyone who takes the train knows where im coming from....
    Lets not get into it, but this x 1000.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

FYI: If you don't pay the ticket, a summons goes out for your arrest. Which you'll realize at the most incovenient time... pulled over for a speeding ticket... taken downtown and vehicle impounded.

Originally posted by phil98z24

We can't just not show up for a court date. It's part of our duties, and we are lawfully obligated to be there unless we can't attend for some other lawful purpose or reason. It's the same as any other witness not showing up without lawful excuse, except we don't have witness warrants issued for our arrest. Court isn't optional.

To address Euro838: we get paid for court because it's part of our job, and because of the duties we engage in when we are on "scheduled shift" we end up in court on days off when we are scheduled off. We don't have any says whatsoever in when trial dates are, if court happens on days on or days off, etc.

There is no incentive for us to show up, aside from not being stuck with a neglect of duty charge under the PSA. I don't like going to court on days off, regardless of being paid for it. I want my days off, because it takes at least 2 days for me to recover from working nights as part of my regular duties and that leaves me with two other days off to go and have fun and get other things done.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I guess to the OP, you can just go and explain your situation. If anything, most of the fine would just to paying the resources required just to hear your case! LOL!

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by mr2mike
    FYI: If you don't pay the ticket, a summons goes out for your arrest. Which you'll realize at the most incovenient time... pulled over for a speeding ticket... taken downtown and vehicle impounded.
    I was just about to ask what happens for non-payment.

They actually issue a warrant for your arrest over a transit ticket??? That's madness.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Ive noticed quite the crackdown in June on CT. From December to May i was asked for a fare proof once. So far in June its not uncommon for me to get checked on my way to and from work. Just a heads up for those that are fare jumping. I see them taking people off the train daily and the excuses just flood out of the people that are caught... "Isnt Anderson part of the free fare zone??? I didnt know." Im sure those peace officers have heard everything.
    I've also noticed that the last few times the PO have been checking on the trains, that everyone was in compliance and had ticket so they just moved onto the next train. Probably prior to the fine increase to $250 (and repeat offenses increase), there was definitely at least 1 person pulled off the train every time. I would say the fine values are high enough with respect to the single ticket or monthly pass that it's not worth the risk.

LOL, wonder when that will change with single fair prices hit $5 or passes are $150+

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by Euro838

I've also noticed that the last few times the PO have been checking on the trains, that everyone was in compliance and had ticket so they just moved onto the next train. Probably prior to the fine increase to $250 (and repeat offenses increase), there was definitely at least 1 person pulled off the train every time. I would say the fine values are high enough with respect to the single ticket or monthly pass that it's not worth the risk.

LOL, wonder when that will change with single fair prices hit $5 or passes are $150+
    it's so rare to catch a PO during rush hour. i haven't seen one in the last 7 months i've been taking the train. it's almost better financially to risk it.

This is the #1 thing that annoyed me as well. I see drunks/natives get tossed off the train all the time without getting a ticket, yet since I am not a drunk homeless native and actually contribute to society, I have to pay my fine should I ever get one, and they will pursue it if I don't pay. It should be all or nothing. Can't or don't pay the fine? Go to jail for the equivalent. Win/Win since they aren't annoying people on the trains if they are working off their fines in jail.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-19-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Originally posted by phil98z24

Don't you get paid a full or half day even if you show up for 30 mins? The officers I know seem to love court OT.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Don't you get paid a full or half day even if you show up for 30 mins? The officers I know seem to love court OT.
    Yes, but the fact that I have to get ready for court, get down there, wait around, etc etc, amounts to a day pretty much down the tubes. Couple that with the fact that court often falls the day after a night shift when you haven't had sleep, or right in the middle of days off thus not allowing you to make any sort of plans to leave town... you get the point.

We are compensated for that with hours so that we can use them to take another day off in lieu of, but we have the option to have them paid out instead... which I can tell you, is not what a lot of people do.

Anyways, it's not an incentive. It's compensation as part of our job.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

I was just about to ask what happens for non-payment.

They actually issue a warrant for your arrest over a transit ticket??? That's madness.
    Well when you owe money to city/province it's super serious and you get your ass thrown in jail asap. Steal from someone or hurt someone physically and things move a lot slower as there is no money to be had jk of course....

That $250 seems disproportionately high to how much a single ticket costs. Why is that so high and talking on the cell is $174 when the latter is explained as distracted driving that can kill??
    Last edited by Aleks; 06-19-2014 at 12:58 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Originally posted by GREENBOY
    My argument is I had a ticket in my hand and a book of tickets in my pocket. These fail to pay tickets are supposed to be for deadbeats who don't pay to ride transit
    You didn't punch a ticket(pay), so........

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Aleks
    That $250 seems disproportionately high to how much a single ticket costs. Why is that so high and talking on the cell is $174 when the latter is explained as distracted driving that can kill??
    When Transit costs $96, the fine has to be high enough to deter people from just not paying and getting caught a few times a year.

Even at $250, you essentially have to get 5 tickets a year to equal the cost of actually paying for 12 monthly passes.

My Ride
    fg2

i think they are training new people lately. ive been checked for the last 3 days straight. on the way home yesterday they checked the same train twice. once at bridgeland and once again at whitehorn.

buy your tickets this month :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast