Quantcast
NEXUS interview wait time - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NEXUS interview wait time

My Ride
    Exploded.

From application to interview, I waited ~4 months. It helps to check once in a while within GOES to see if there are drop-outs but only got lucky once.

Bumped me a week ahead.

Originally posted by Zhariak

PS. I never did this, but I think I heard way back that if you carry an Amex Platinum, or Amex Centurion card, AMEX will comp your GOES/Nexus fees (I can't remember if this is continuous or was a one time thing, or even for Canadians). I heard about it after I got my Nexus.
    Only applicable for US Platinum members. Canadian AMEX Platinum only get Pearson airport perks. I checked.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by stealth

I was at the new airport and didn't see a Nexus line there...
    It's the wait in Calgary that is the bigger issue. The new McMurray airport times aren't terrible. Now that there is decent seating and stuff to do, you can easily go right through security when you get there. An hour or so in the departure area is fine.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Looks like they are considering dedicated lines and screeners for NEXUS and other "trusted travelers". NEXUS, Global Entry, US and Canadian Armed Forces and uniformed flight crew would be eligible, no need to take shoes, off remove jackets and belts or remove liquids form carry on.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-...ntsForm-590497

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by FraserB
    Looks like they are considering dedicated lines and screeners for NEXUS and other "trusted travelers". NEXUS, Global Entry, US and Canadian Armed Forces and uniformed flight crew would be eligible, no need to take shoes, off remove jackets and belts or remove liquids form carry on.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-...ntsForm-590497
    I really need to do this. 50 bucks is nothing to the inconvenience of lines on US bound flights...

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by killramos

I really need to do this. 50 bucks is nothing to the inconvenience of lines on US bound flights...
    It also works on domestic flights. You skip to the front of the security line regardless of time of day or length of line with your card. I also got US Global Entry with mine, not sure if that is SOP now.

Factor a wait time of about 8-9 months from when you mail the application.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It also works on domestic flights. You skip to the front of the security line regardless of time of day or length of line with your card. I also got US Global Entry with mine, not sure if that is SOP now.

Factor a wait time of about 8-9 months from when you mail the application.
    One factor for me is this is only really useful if your entire party has nexus right? Including for road trips.

IE i cant use nexus road line if the 3 guys i am with don't have it?

I never travel to the US etc without the wife. And she doesn't even vote because its to inconvenient...

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by killramos

One factor for me is this is only really useful if your entire party has nexus right? Including for road trips.

IE i cant use nexus road line if the 3 guys i am with don't have it?

I never travel to the US etc without the wife. And she doesn't even vote because its to inconvenient...
    In a car, all passengers MUST have the NEXUS card. Otherwise, they force you to line up to the normal queue.

Side-note: I hate using the retina scanners because I have eyeglasses and it never works. I waste time going through it. Anyone have tips?

Originally posted by flipstah
    Side-note: I hate using the retina scanners because I have eyeglasses and it never works. I waste time going through it. Anyone have tips?
    I take off my glasses and open wide. I had no problems while wearing contacts either.

Also, flying with friends who don't have Nexus is fine. In fact, it's hilarious. Especially when you don't want to wait for them so you ditch them with 4 cartons of smokes in the customs line.

TSA Pre-Check already lets you do all the items mentioned above and it's insane. You don't realize how much time you spend preparing for the scanner until you don't have to do any of it.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Mibz

Also, flying with friends who don't have Nexus is fine. In fact, it's hilarious. Especially when you don't want to wait for them so you ditch them with 4 cartons of smokes in the customs line.

My Ride
    your mom

Pro tip - if you need it a time frame of 6 months or less, book your interview in Edmonton. Their wait times are as low as three weeks. Otherwise, 6+ months for YYC is expected.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I think I need to get this.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    my bike

Originally posted by busdepot
    Pro tip - if you need it a time frame of 6 months or less, book your interview in Edmonton. Their wait times are as low as three weeks. Otherwise, 6+ months for YYC is expected.
    If for any reason you're in deep southern AB, they do interviews at the Sweetgrass border crossing too. Similar wait times, or less than Edmonton.

Originally posted by flipstah

In a car, all passengers MUST have the NEXUS card. Otherwise, they force you to line up to the normal queue.

New Nexus machines are quick for the photo part, I swear it doesn't even verify an iris match since it is scanning the nexus card now.

Next Available Appointments:
    Calgary: Apr 22, 2015
    Edmonton: May 5, 2015
    Sweetgrass: Feb 5, 2015

When I checked last week Calgary was booking into June 2015 so they keep adding new days. I've been trying to move my Jan 29th interview for my son earlier but haven't had much luck. Originally applied for Nexus mid October to give an idea for timelines for anyone wondering.

Good news is that it looks like they may be opening a second interview location at Calgary Airport in the new International Terminal since there are 2 calgary interview locations in the dropdown.
    ---

Also on my latest flight out of YYC (Dec 15) to US, the security line process is back to what it was like before 9/11. Haha, freedom at last.

Don't need to do anything, just throw bags on belt, and walk through. Keep everything on, jackets, belts, watches, shoes. Laptops and liquids stay in bag.

About time.
    ---

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: NEXUS interview wait time

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Curious if anyone has obtained a NEXUS card recently here in Calgary? What was your wait time from application submission to having a interview? Friends from Vancouver say wait times are ridiculous over there but shouldn't be too bad here.
    Took just under a month for my whole family. Kids are free.

There are two choices for the interview, choose A as the booking time is way shorter.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Anyone have any insight on the interview process?

The paperwork kind of threw me for a loop because they state that employment gaps will compromise your application process.

So as a somewhat a seasonal contractor, who has spent long stretches of time overseas travelling, it confuses and worries me a bit.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Default Re: Re: NEXUS interview wait time

Originally posted by 89coupe

Took just under a month for my whole family. Kids are free.

There are two choices for the interview, choose A as the booking time is way shorter.
    From application submission date to interview time is nowhere close to a month considering the background checks eat up more time than that.

A month and a half to two months from sending the application to getting the OK to book an interview, then several more months waiting until your booked time. Unless you check a few times a day for a closer time someone has cancelled.

Originally posted by adamc
    Anyone have any insight on the interview process?

The paperwork kind of threw me for a loop because they state that employment gaps will compromise your application process.

So as a somewhat a seasonal contractor, who has spent long stretches of time overseas travelling, it confuses and worries me a bit.
    Just explain it all on the application. They don't care about unemployment periods etc, so long as it's explained.

For the interview, they get you to bring the originals of the documents you proved citizenship with and make sure they all match/are current. The Canadian CBSA officer will do the iris scan, then send you to the US CBP agent next to him. The CBP agent looks at the documents, then takes your prints digitally. You'll be asked why you want NEXUS/Global Entry, if you go to the US frequently, if you go to the US for work or plan to. Mine took 10 minutes.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-19-2014 at 06:09 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Re: Re: NEXUS interview wait time

From application submission date to interview time is nowhere close to a month considering the background checks eat up more time than that.

A month and a half to two months from sending the application to getting the OK to book an interview, then several more months waiting until your booked time. Unless you check a few times a day for a closer time someone has cancelled.

Just explain it all on the application. They don't care about unemployment periods etc, so long as it's explained.

For the interview, they get you to bring the originals of the documents you proved citizenship with and make sure they all match/are current. The Canadian CBSA officer will do the iris scan, then send you to the US CBP agent next to him. The CBP agent looks at the documents, then takes your prints digitally. You'll be asked why you want NEXUS/Global Entry, if you go to the US frequently, if you go to the US for work or plan to. Mine took 10 minutes.
    Only took me a month. I filled out all 4 applications in about 30min, submitted them and got pre-approval notifications in less then a week. I then booked the interviews 22 days after.

My Ride
    Busa

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: NEXUS interview wait time

Originally posted by 89coupe

Only took me a month. I filled out all 4 applications in about 30min, submitted them and got pre-approval notifications in less then a week. I then booked the interviews 22 days after.
    Just got mine a few months ago. I think the pre-approval took 2 months.

Checking the site late a night for new appointment times was huge. The first interview date for Calgary was in Feb 2015 initially. Managed to get in early Nov instead.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NEXUS interview wait time

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Just got mine a few months ago. I think the pre-approval took 2 months.

Checking the site late a night for new appointment times was huge. The first interview date for Calgary was in Feb 2015 initially. Managed to get in early Nov instead.
    Not sure why mine was approved so quickly, maybe because I did my whole family, I have no idea. I even registered my vehicle as well, I thought that would slow up the process but it didn't.

A tip, there are two booking location links for Calgary, both are the same address but location A seems to book 4 months sooner then the 2nd link, not sure why?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast