Quantcast
2014 Civic Si vs 2015 Golf GTI 5-Door - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Civic Si vs 2015 Golf GTI 5-Door

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Default 2014 Civic Si vs 2015 Golf GTI 5-Door

Well I haven't posted on here in years, but I find myself stuck between two options now that I've finally finished school and have a (hopefully) comfortable career ahead of me; so beyond.ca...help me!! After a fair bit of test driving, it's come down to the following list of pros and cons between the two finalists:

Civic Si Sedan
    -Pros: cheaper, still relatively fun to drive, probably more reliable in the long run, probably lower cost of maintenance, the tech package is even with the VW

-Cons: I'm not sure how I feel about how it looks, it's understated/sporty for sure, but it looks like a fish. Also, I don't know how I feel about the 2-tier, digital speedo dash - if this car had analog tach/speedo side-by-side I would probably choose the Civic outright.

Golf GTI
    -Pros: lots of power, torque comes in early, it's pretty, German fit and finish, and it has a nice traditional dash, tech package is basically the same

-Cons: higher payment, first year of production - I haven't followed automotive news/publications in a while so if anyone knows about the reliability of the MQB platform or the drive-train I'd love to hear about it

Thanks for any input you guys have!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I chose between these 2 several years ago and ended up choosing the GTI (MK5) over the Civic Si. The power and drivability of the GTI at our elevation was worlds apart. My GTI was very reliable, with the exception of DSG tranny which was recalled and replaced. Several beyonders that bought the GTI after me had the same problem, but once replaced it was perfect. All the newer cars post recalls had no issues. Kenny's GTI just cracked 100,000 kms and still runs awesome. I tracked my GTI quite a bit which really stressed the drivetrain and only had to replace the CVs once. Everything else just works.

If I had to make the choice again it would be for the GTI. In Calgary it's a no brainer, at sea level the choice might be tougher.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Default Re: 2014 Civic Si vs 2015 Golf GTI 5-Door

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-03-2019 at 12:36 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Aren't we talking 5k or more for the GTI?

If that's not an issue id go GTI. Otherwise I'd get the civic and order hfp suspension for it from the states.

With the suspension in the civic it will out do (it should anyway) the GTI in corners etc.

Not sure if you're aware - but - I believe the GTI is now Mexican built where the civic is Canadian built.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

The new GTI from all reports is the best handling car you can now buy in this segment. I don't think the Si can compete on any level anymore. It is cheap however, best price in segement by far.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Darkane
    With the suspension in the civic it will out do (it should anyway) the GTI in corners etc.
    I was dead even in laptimes with a S2K in my MK5 at Race City. Ran over 20 laps against each other. We both had identical tires too. You'd be surprised at how fast that little GTI is around corners, and how much of a power advantage there is in Calgary.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I drove the MK7 GTI and it is really, really good. I've never liked the MK5 or MK6 and I owned a Civic Si for 4 years. It's a no brainer if you're willing to pay a little more for the GTI.

If you can afford it, I would definitely go with the GTI. I thought the GTI was way more fun than the Si, it feels a lot quicker and has much better low end torque. Nothing wrong with the Si, it just feels like less car.

The GTI also gives you better fit & finish, better motor, actual tuneability, etc. Add DSG to the equation and it's a no-brainer at that point (IMO). Worth the extra money for sure.

My Ride
    550i, X5

I don't have much to add as far as technical advantages, but purely on preference, my vote goes GTI. I do love Honda, but I like German cars better.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Of course, a perfectly good explanation is boring, so the answer is, it's fucking voodoo.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

2015 Golf GTI 5 door I priced it out at 38.5k out the door for the 6 speed.

2014 Civic Si sedan is about 31k out the door.

If you can afford the GTI sure go for it. But civic is much cheaper and will be a cheaper car to own in the long run.

And while you are in the realm of the GTI money I would check out the Focus ST.
    Last edited by Redlined_8000; 06-23-2014 at 10:17 AM.

My Ride
    S212 E63s / MK7.5 .:R

Mk7 GTI gets my vote.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

GTI, but I am biased towards them and Honda lost my business years ago.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

I'm jealous of the new 2014 honda civic SI. Now comes with push button start and way better nav screen.

I own a 2013 civic SI. Love it! Fun to drive, basically only oil changes for maintenance. 2.4 motor gives it that needed tq, but obviously won't be like the turbo motors in it's competitions. Reliability and cheap to maintain are the main reasons I went with it. I love the 2-tier dash. Voice recognition blows haha
    Handling is awesome.

Dont know what VW's are like to own now, but back then I heard horror stories about them. So that always pushed me away from them. GTI looks amazing inside and out, awesome motor. I'm just afraid to own one

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by Redlined_8000

And while you are in the realm of the GTI money I would check out the Focus ST.
    Test drove one...big grins on acceleration, but the ergonomics weren't for me - seats are too bolstered/too much of a race position, shifter was a little far right for my taste. 19 year old me would have a serious boner for that car, but 29 year old me had trouble getting in and out

Even without the price difference I'd still take the civic, i know on paper the GTi is a better car though

I just really like the dash and exterior

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Once I got used to the 2-tiered dash I loved it. Now when I drive someone else's car I feel like I have to look down so far to check the speed, and I can't even tell if I'm doing 61 or 62 km/h, haha!

I have about 85k on my '07 and have had numerous problems that I wasn't expecting to see until at least over 100k; the notorious 3rd gear problem, O2 sensor failed, valve cover leak, oil pressure sensor (I think) - compared to my previous cars I now question the long term reliability of the Civic. Hopefully the 9th gens are better, you might have better luck. Still a very fun car

My Ride
    W204

If you want GTI-like levels of handling and low end torque of a turbo at Si prices, have you thought about the Fiesta ST? It's nice and compact and can be had for about $30k even OTD. That'd easily be my car of choice over the Civic and GTI. I actually love the smaller size.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by clem24
    If you want GTI-like levels of handling and low end torque of a turbo at Si prices, have you thought about the Fiesta ST? It's nice and compact and can be had for about $30k even OTD. That'd easily be my car of choice over the Civic and GTI. I actually love the smaller size.
    I'd go this way too actually. If you're patient Ford does have $3250 incentive on the Fiesta ST a few times per year.

With the Ford, does the CostCo membership shave off another $1,000? I like all three cars here, but I'd go for the ST.

My Ride
    NC1

GTI for sure. If price really matters, get a Civic.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast