Quantcast
Memories of Race City - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Memories of Race City

My Ride

Originally posted by Aleks

I think at one point I went to secret street every friday for 2-3 years lol. I have well over 100 passes there and all the slips somewhere in the old file folder. Good times.
    Man I miss that car...

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I spent lots of Fridays there at secret street, either racing or watching. Also did a track day with my own car, and rode in many others.

Favorite moments at the track would be:
    -riding in the supercharged m3 (600 hp) aka TRAKRAT
    -riding in the modded 911, just as fast as m3
    - doing the track day and oval in my own car
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Every time I watch this back it makes me miss Racecity even more....

My Ride
    Its Quick

Last edited by Offroad; 06-26-2014 at 06:44 PM.

My Ride
    2008 Z06

Watching my Dad drag race his El Camino when I was 14.

Taking my first car drag racing at 16 (91 Integra). I was at the staging light and so nervous, the RPM was bouncing around from my foot shaking. When I shifted into 2nd, my tape deck fell out and landed on my shifter and ruined my run. My best in that car was 17.1 but it was more exciting then going 11.3 at 125 is now in my Z06.

My Dad letting me take my Mom's Stealth TT/RT down the track. First and last time trying AWD launches at the track. 14.3 or something.

Taking my first V8 (1993 5L Mustang with 4psi blower) to the track. Did 14.6 or something. Improving on driving and getting into the 13's. Adjusting things and buying used MT Sportman tires and getting into the 12's. Later, in the video below, I had my best time which turned out to be 0.01 seconds faster then my Dad's best time in his El Camino. He as in BC at the time, but I called him to tell him and he was happy for me.

Later, getting my 02 Z06, running 13.6 initially and later getting it down to 12.1 launching it at 5,500.

So fun. Waiting in tech on a nice day was really exciting. But mainly because it brought my Dad and I closer together with something we both were passionate about.

A Solo 2 training day with a couple 403Honda members was awesome too, in the Teg (Buhbuh and someone else). I still have gif 'drifting' around some pillons with mad ebrake skills, with Darud Sandstorm as background music.
    Current Cars:
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Stage 2, 12.44 at 110mph
    1972 Chevy Super Cheyenne C10 Pickup 402 big block, 700R4
    2004 GMC 2500HD 8.1L

Past Cars:
    1970 Chevy Blazer, 2wd
    2003 BMW X5 4.6IS Doushmobile, moneypit
    2015 Ford Fiesta ST | Cobb Stage 1, catless downpipe
    2008 Corvette Z06 - 11.39 at 123.8mph
    2002 Corvette Z06 - 12.10 at 116.5mph
    2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ
    1993 5L Mustang - 12.59 at 108mph
    1989 5L Mustang
    1990 Jeep Cherokee
    1991 Acura Integra RS 403Honda

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Every time I watch this back it makes me miss Racecity
    Kind of suspect we won't have the same grass roots kind of racing with the new Airdrie track plus still no oval or 1/4 miler - so many people used to race on all 3 venues at Race City.

I only went once, but I can't remember ever being as nervous as my first time lining up at Race City. Z_Fan and GoChris did absolutely nothing to allay that fear either.

My Ride
    something green

The earlier years of the porsche club track days when we did the back half track timed runs.
    Both myself and my car got a lot faster because of those events. The later full laps were fun, but had more rules which took away some of the enjoyment.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    You Crazy

OMG.... Race City was almost my life lol. Was there for the first ever secret street. Was there before that for test and tune Wednesdays. When secret street started, The Herald was there doing a story, and I was interviewed, and mentioned as a "reformed street racer" ... lol.

I think started going sometime in early 90's. Even volunteered and did tech for a few years.

Most memorable things:

A buddy and I rented it privately and organized Alberta's first ever import shoot out.

The old Stang won Alberta's fastest street car shootout in 1999. Cold, late at night, old girl spun half way down the track to a 10.16 Video : http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma1015.wmv

Runner up in 2000, because I was DQ'd for going too fast for the safety equipment on the car. Video: http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma988.wmv

Semi finals in 2001 I split the stock 302 block into 2 pieces, oiled the track down so bad they shut the whole lane down for the night.

Going "fast" in domestics was "too easy", so I started transitioning into "imports" and compacts, and in 2002 my little GLH Omni was slayin V8's lol. I loved to pick on Camaro's, Mustangs and Vettes. My favourite was fall 2002, as the brand new 2003 SRT10 Viper came out, my buddy Marty (race city tech and staging guy) thought it would be funny to line my Omni up against a new Viper that made it to secret street. Not once, but twice. I beat him both times. He was slightly faster, but newbie driver, snoozed at the light, or spun, or missed a shift. I got a full standing ovation after the second run lol. Video of one of the runs that night: http://members.shaw.ca/thedyno/GLHvsViper.wmv

The Viper guy I heard shipped the car down to Hennessy the week after lol!!

Man, Loved that place. Probably raced there for 15 years, rarely missing a Secret Street.

My Ride
    Smells like its about to start on fire

I just generally miss the track days. I never once ran secret street though. It really sucks not having some place to drive your car around.

the smell of a well used car on a Saturday morning at 10:30AM- very nearly one hour into the days event.

Changing tires, rotors, pads, and fluids so much that what once took me a whole day to complete only took about 10 minutes.

The interesting people and crazy cars. I think I tracked against a Lola and a Can-Am race car a couple times. Following an old muscle car (or maybe it was the Can-Am) around the track only to have my window washed by race gas.

Those damn pot holes.

That damn swamp I flew ass backwards into a couple times but never sunk my car into- "awe shit... ". It was usually a good indicator of how well my Hoosiers were doing.

Driving home on sticky tires... sandblasting people who rode my ass. Sorry If I got anyone on here.

Driving home after a rain storm on sticky tires. The lack of any grooves meant that water sprayed around the car in a 50 foot radius.

My most favorite was the Turn Three Door Slammer. There are a couple lines you could have taken through that turn but as you started driving faster and faster you could not slow down enough in turns one and two to take the outside line in three... so we'd take the inside line. The result was we'd scare the living shit out of the people in front of us. From their perspective all you'd see if you looked left was a sports car coming at your door at 300mph.

My Ride
    2000 blazer lt 4x4

i was there every weekend with my dad , he was in the demo derby's back when they were every weekend, the dirty dozen demo club rented a acreage one block west beside the dump for all the guys to store and work on there cars.
    i even got to go in the pits when the did the demo in the saddledome with the monster trucks.

I remember we had a BBQ in the washroom cause it was pouring rain out.

My Ride
    Trucks

Not too exciting on an Apple device, have a link on another site?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by Toma
    OMG.... Race City was almost my life lol. Was there for the first ever secret street. Was there before that for test and tune Wednesdays. When secret street started, The Herald was there doing a story, and I was interviewed, and mentioned as a "reformed street racer" ... lol.

I think started going sometime in early 90's. Even volunteered and did tech for a few years.

Most memorable things:

A buddy and I rented it privately and organized Alberta's first ever import shoot out.

The old Stang won Alberta's fastest street car shootout in 1999. Cold, late at night, old girl spun half way down the track to a 10.16 Video : http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma1015.wmv

Runner up in 2000, because I was DQ'd for going too fast for the safety equipment on the car. Video: http://members.shaw.ca/tomakicovic/toma988.wmv

Semi finals in 2001 I split the stock 302 block into 2 pieces, oiled the track down so bad they shut the whole lane down for the night.

Going "fast" in domestics was "too easy", so I started transitioning into "imports" and compacts, and in 2002 my little GLH Omni was slayin V8's lol. I loved to pick on Camaro's, Mustangs and Vettes. My favourite was fall 2002, as the brand new 2003 SRT10 Viper came out, my buddy Marty (race city tech and staging guy) thought it would be funny to line my Omni up against a new Viper that made it to secret street. Not once, but twice. I beat him both times. He was slightly faster, but newbie driver, snoozed at the light, or spun, or missed a shift. I got a full standing ovation after the second run lol. Video of one of the runs that night: http://members.shaw.ca/thedyno/GLHvsViper.wmv

The Viper guy I heard shipped the car down to Hennessy the week after lol!!

Man, Loved that place. Probably raced there for 15 years, rarely missing a Secret Street.
    Funny this thread was made as I actually found a cd from 2010 me racing my mustang down there.

Have a few vids of you racing that silver s14 you had Toma

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by benyl

So was I. That is my STi in the picture.

Totally forgot about that incident. That was like 10 years ago.

What a day that was...just glad all ended up ok...
    ...@therealarifjina...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2