Quantcast
The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default The Pitchforks Are Coming… For Us Plutocrats

Wow, great read from a 0.01% kind of guy!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...l#.U67d1PldUto

You probably don’t know me, but like you I am one of those .01%ers, a proud and unapologetic capitalist. I have founded, co-founded and funded more than 30 companies across a range of industries—from itsy-bitsy ones like the night club I started in my 20s to giant ones like Amazon.com, for which I was the first nonfamily investor. Then I founded aQuantive, an Internet advertising company that was sold to Microsoft in 2007 for $6.4 billion. In cash. My friends and I own a bank.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz35wpexzu8

and continues

But let’s speak frankly to each other. I’m not the smartest guy you’ve ever met, or the hardest-working. I was a mediocre student. I’m not technical at all—I can’t write a word of code. What sets me apart, I think, is a tolerance for risk and an intuition about what will happen in the future. Seeing where things are headed is the essence of entrepreneurship. And what do I see in our future now?

I see pitchforks.

At the same time that people like you and me are thriving beyond the dreams of any plutocrats in history, the rest of the country—the 99.99 percent—is lagging far behind. The divide between the haves and have-nots is getting worse really, really fast. In 1980, the top 1 percent controlled about 8 percent of U.S. national income. The bottom 50 percent shared about 18 percent. Today the top 1 percent share about 20 percent; the bottom 50 percent, just 12 percent.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...#ixzz35wpoLa6i
    Last edited by Toma; 06-28-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Wow Good read thanks toma

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

"After earning his philosophy degree from the University of Washington, Hanauer got his business start at the family-owned Pacific Coast Feather Company, where he continues to serve as co-chair and CEO.[2] In the 1980s he co-founded Museum Quality Framing Company, a large West Coast franchise."

While I appreciate the sentiment, I think this guy PROBABLY has a different life view than those who busted their ass to make their billions.

Lets be clear; I am 100% behind his message. But he might not be the best messenger. He's had a silver spoon in his mouth since birth.

Edit:

Here is the quote that ties it all together, how higher employee wages doesn't affect jobs:

"During the past three decades, compensation for CEOs grew 127 times faster than it did for workers. Since 1950, the CEO-to-worker pay ratio has increased 1,000 percent, and that is not a typo. CEOs used to earn 30 times the median wage; now they rake in 500 times. Yet no company I know of has eliminated its senior managers, or outsourced them to China or automated their jobs. Instead, we now have more CEOs and senior executives than ever before. So, too, for financial services workers and technology workers. These folks earn multiples of the median wage, yet we somehow have more and more of them."

This is why the TFW program is bullshit, especially in Alberta.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 06-28-2014 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    "After earning his philosophy degree from the University of Washington, Hanauer got his business start at the family-owned Pacific Coast Feather Company, where he continues to serve as co-chair and CEO.[2] In the 1980s he co-founded Museum Quality Framing Company, a large West Coast franchise."

While I appreciate the sentiment, I think this guy PROBABLY has a different life view than those who busted their ass to make their billions.

Lets be clear; I am 100% behind his message. But he might not be the best messenger. He's had a silver spoon in his mouth since birth.

Edit:

Here is the quote that ties it all together, how higher employee wages doesn't affect jobs:

"During the past three decades, compensation for CEOs grew 127 times faster than it did for workers. Since 1950, the CEO-to-worker pay ratio has increased 1,000 percent, and that is not a typo. CEOs used to earn 30 times the median wage; now they rake in 500 times. Yet no company I know of has eliminated its senior managers, or outsourced them to China or automated their jobs. Instead, we now have more CEOs and senior executives than ever before. So, too, for financial services workers and technology workers. These folks earn multiples of the median wage, yet we somehow have more and more of them."

This is why the TFW program is bullshit, especially in Alberta.
    Yeah, he's a smart smart man. He was also a speaker on that Robert Reich film I keep telling people to see. (Robert Reich is a PHD economist, was secretary of labour under Clinton, movie called "Inequality for All")

Originally posted by Toma

Yeah, he's a smart smart man.
    What is your definition of a "smart man"?

Let's start there.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Seth1968

What is your definition of a "smart man"?

Let's start there.
    How about instead of attempting to look intelligent by asking a pointless question you add some value to the conversation.

Let's start there.

My Ride
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited

Good read, thanks!

Originally posted by A790

How about instead of attempting to look intelligent by asking a pointless question you add some value to the conversation.

Let's start there.
    Define "Intelligence".

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by A790

Let's start there.
    Don't bother, he has already demonstrated a lack of rational thought in pretty much any argument he's been a part of on here.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 07-01-2014 at 11:22 AM.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Seth1968
    Define "Intelligence".
    Look in the mirror... that's not it.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap
    Look in the mirror... that's not it.
    Hi Codetrap.

I don't understand if your reply is the typical cliche, or the unoriginal standard response to point out a cliche.