Quantcast
Looking for a place to gopher hunt? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Looking for a place to gopher hunt?

Default Looking for a place to gopher hunt?

I just bought my 9yr old and I a couple of PCP Air guns. Although shooting in the basement is fun, I'd like to take him gopher hunting..

Does anyone have a place outside the city they wouldn't mind us going onto? Preferably north?

Thanks!

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Shit man, if you ever wanted a road trip, you could have all the gophers, deer and everything else you could possibly want, fill up your truck, take it home then you'd have all the venison you could possibly want.
    Ill even pay you to kill all the deer around our farm as an added bonus. Its 1hr SE of Swift Current, but let me know if you want countless white tailed deer and all the gophers you could ever ask for.
    I think in one season I killed over 100 gophers with my .22, still plenty more left to kill. Their just an endless plague, one that costs us plenty.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I think in one season I killed over 100 gophers with my .22, still plenty more left to kill. Their just an endless plague, one that costs us plenty.
    Me and a buddy shot more than that in an afternoon on my family's land the summer before last (not exaggerating at all, it was probably close to 100 apiece). Talk about a plague.

While I don't have anywhere I can sent you (I'm trying to find a Place myself) my best advice would be to go for a drive and talk to some farmers. You should have some pretty good luck if you explain that you want to take your son out and that your only going to be using Air Guns. A lot of the farmers I've spoken to have had problems with giving guys permission to shoot on their land with Rimfire rifles then having them show up with a huge group of buddies and centre fire rifles instead of just .22's.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Graham, other than the correct PAL, what are the reqs to hunt on your land in Sask? Unless the deer are scrawny lol.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I'm not really into hunting. Something kinda scares me about running around the woods with other people that have guns.

Gophers are cool since they're:
    - Vermin
    - live in fields (where you can easily see other gopher hunters)
    - Can take them down with a pellet gun

Sask. is a little far to drive for us though, but thanks for the offer!

My Ride
    Wristshots

Originally posted by FraserB
    Graham, other than the correct PAL, what are the reqs to hunt on your land in Sask? Unless the deer are scrawny lol.
    Graham, I'm also interested.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

There haven't been many outside of city limits that I've seen. I've gone south and north about 45 mins and nothing but crows. Yet in town they are everywhere!

Your best bet is to just go and talk to farmers like Hamann said. Lots of them will let you if they have any gophers.

Graham, my grandparents live in Swift and two summers back my grandpa would go out on some land with a buddy once week and shoot 100ish each for nearly a whole summer. I tried to go with him last year but he says (at least where he was) that they are becoming few and far between. On my next trip to Swift I may have to bring my .22 along and make my way down to your neck of the woods.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Last year, due to the late spring, I saw a whooping two gophers the whole year, there were none to be had, just none. Some years like this one, there are bound to be an infestation. A few years ago, it was honestly beyond words.... just insurmountable amounts of gophers, and badgers that ate them, so the badger holes took a serious toll on our equipment. Just let me know if you're planning on coming down, I'll show you all the areas deer love to hang out at, so you can pack your car full of deer and eat free for the next few months. I usually use our Remington .22 Rifle for downing deer, it works surprisingly well, if not, we have a wide variety of guns you can use as well, everything from 30 ought 6's to a variety of shotguns and everything in between, just bring your gun license and you're good to go. Think of it this way, you'd be doing us and all our neighboring farmers a HUGE favor, and yourself as well by killing all the deer you possibly could.

Originally posted by FraserB
    As far as actual laws? I dont know, I never once cared to check, we just kill them as we see them. Ive yet to ever hear of a single person getting fined for killing deer. Not once, even the RCMP out here know full well deer are a serious plague, so they couldn't care less, its just less work for them towards filling out paperwork for accidents involving deer and cars, so they could not possibly care less unless you were in proximity to a highway.

Kill a deer on a field away from a highway? Id be SERIOUSLY surprised if they'd even come out to investigate. Like I've just never heard of anything ever going down with that..... ever, its just so normal out there.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"