Quantcast
5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home

Kiddie killer won't last a week in jail before someone tries to shank him.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...409/story.html

I really hope the police have something concrete. I have a sinking feeling that they may have jumped the gun on charging him just to get him back into custody in order to quash the flight risk.

Side note - The reporter lady in the video on that link really rubs me the wrong way. What stupid questions to be wasting her time with... Have your cameraman get the shots and keep your mouth shut. It's like she believes she is going to be the one to crack him.

I was just reading the timeline of the events on CBC and find it strange that if there's evidence since day 1 that a violent incident took place and the amount of blood on the floor would cause someone in medical distress, why did the police play it so lightly from the beginning? They treat it as a missing person case on June 30th and announced their disappearance may be suspicious. Not only till July 4th did they start releasing that a violent incident took place in the house. I would assume based on the evidence they would treat it as a crime when the Mom arrives and can't find her son but blood on the floor.

It's part of the investigation. When they question all those kijiji people, no one knows what's really found inside the house, they ask leading questions to get responses to see if you crack and give away something no one else should know as it wasn't released to the media yet.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by parapara_vince
    I was just reading the timeline of the events on CBC and find it strange that if there's evidence since day 1 that a violent incident took place and the amount of blood on the floor would cause someone in medical distress, why did the police play it so lightly from the beginning? They treat it as a missing person case on June 30th and announced their disappearance may be suspicious. Not only till July 4th did they start releasing that a violent incident took place in the house. I would assume based on the evidence they would treat it as a crime when the Mom arrives and can't find her son but blood on the floor.
    They did announce in the first few days that the homicide unit was investigating in the house, but said it was "just routine."

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by suntan
    If this guy turns out to be the killer, I hope he suffers for a long long time. Getting shanked and bleeding out seems like to easy of a way out. Hopefully he gets a lifetime of beatings and nightly struggle cuddles.
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by suntan
    Pretty sure he'll be with like-minded people in prison, separated from the rest, for this exact reason. People who have committed crimes against women and children are usually separated from everyone else. I strongly disagree with this, since it makes prison less of a deterrent for these people, knowing they have built in protection on the 'inside'.

perhaps there is an over-arching strategy we are not seeing.

but from my armchair assessment, the cops have very little to go on and someone mustve tipped them about garland and the truck and they're running with it.

im still very skeptical that someone would try to seek revenge for a past business deal (6 years ago i read) and end up killing an innocent kid as well. maybe im just naive, but it doesnt seem that smart or well thought out.

we know there's a 12 hour window from when the mother left and came back. at what point was the car filmed? from the pictures its during the day, but which day is that from? the day from the estate sale or the day after?

and if there was no evidence of forced entry, did alvin let him in? that may suggest that the family knew who was at the door before opening it, tho it doesnt rule out someone accessing an open window or something.

also, if he was after alvin, and we're assuming he dragged a bloody person into the back (from the evidence provided by the thread), he would have to cover that up with at least a blanket, which makes it really tough for me to believe he did this during the day.

so that leaves me to believe the picture is from the day/days before, perhaps scouting out the house.

now the question is, how or why would they suspect that specific green truck?

im not sure if the police would have the public on the lookout for the truck if they already suspected who owns one and has a connection to alvin. so, we can assume the cops were pointed to the truck for either suspicious activity or a tip from an unknown source.

im still hoping that kid is alive, its jus so sad that someone would take a young life like that over some old financial beef. im holding out hope until its confirmed.

I think they're deducing that they're all deceased because:
    They figure he acted alone which would mean, while in custody, if any were still alive and hidden somewhere, they got no food or water.
    I doubt they're in a place with A/C. Temps got pretty hot.

If there was a chance they'd be alive, there's probably a high prob that he would sneak over to check once released on bail. He was tracked for sure. He didn't go anywhere so they're figuring all are deceased. My opinion.

If he was really planning this, he could buy another green truck similar, not have it registered or someone has reported selling their green truck of similar vintage in the past few months. Maybe this is why they're asking people to keep an eye out?

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

Easy enough to frame someone especially knowing the past identity of the individual who was apprehended on the charges of the crime. Seeing the wife's sister? who looks like a basket case it really seems shes would fit the suit to have an open mouth, double pun . Word can SPREAD very easily it doesn't take much.

Very skeptical of this whole case.

The child was at the wrong place and the wrong time sadly enough. Nothing can be done, but i hope CPS isn't covering up the case and blanketing it as solved.
    Last edited by Milk2%; 07-15-2014 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Wild guess but the police knowing one thing and saying another was probably very purposeful.

What's to gain by letting the killer know publicly what the police found and that the police are searching for him? If anything it gives him a few days head start to plan and execute a way to disappear. Or to go "visit" a witness who might have seen something. Or to cover up a loose end.
    Vettel's #1

^Let's suppose there was enough blood on the floor that they were certain someone died. Does that mean all 3 are dead? Not necessarily.

Not to be too morbid, but an example might be if there was evidence that a body had been dismembered at a location; that would lead to an obvious conclusion that someone had died. It might not be immediately determinable who or how many people were dismembered until DNA tests were completed on the remaining evidence.

Not trying to start any rumours - I have no idea what the evidence they actually have is.

Originally posted by heavyfuel
    I'd like to know how they determined 1st AND 2nd degree murder charges without bodies recovered. Seems to me any good lawyer would tear that apart.
    My guess there is enough to show malice towards the grandparents, such as threats, etc.

Originally posted by faiz999

im still very skeptical that someone would try to seek revenge for a past business deal (6 years ago i read) and end up killing an innocent kid as well. maybe im just naive, but it doesnt seem that smart or well thought out.
    Thanks for raising this. This point was niggling at me. 6 years seems a long time to bear a financial grudge. It it was intense enough to persist for 6 years, one thinks it would have spurred action earlier.

I have no idea what's going on here, but it is curious that so much of what we've been told doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

I'm sure it will all make sense eventually.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It was bugging me as well, but keep in mind:
    1) The family was about to leave town. This would have been his last realistic opportunity for revenge
    2) It's already been said the guy had mental issues. If that's the case, someone with mental illness doesn't necessarily think like you and I. In which case, a long-standing illness may very well allow someone to hold a major grudge for so many years
    3) There might still be something to be said about the estate sale being part of the equation. Perhaps Garland felt the money would be there, available for the taking... and something perhaps he felt he had the "rights" to. It's much more work forcing someone to an ATM - which has a money limit anyway.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    It was bugging me as well, but keep in mind:
    1) The family was about to leave town. This would have been his last realistic opportunity for revenge
    Pretty certain Canadians turn up dead in Mexico all the time.
    Balcony railings are pretty loose around those parts.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

While this guy didn't exactly think everything through 100%, I think if he were to have taken a trip down to Mexico and then the family ended up killed a fairly easy link would have been made.

Like I said, it was his last *realistic* opportunity.

Originally posted by mr2mike

Pretty certain Canadians turn up dead in Mexico all the time.
    Balcony railings are pretty loose around those parts.
    Much, much more difficult to find them in Mexico when you already know their street address in Calgary. Not to mention the added expense of the trip.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

not to mention how hard it is for a felon to travel internationally...

My Ride

Maybe it's just me not wanting to accept this outcome that could very well be reality but could the Police have arrested and laid the charges with hopes that he would give up more material or other people? Without the bodies and no mention of the murder weapon it's relay hard to see a possible concrete case against him.

Obviously he is involved, no question. But a few things pop to mind:

- The truck is a single cab truck with no canopy or cover for the box. (he could have used a tarp and maybe that's what police found)
    -I would imagine subduing 3 people and loading them (unconscious or unwillingly) into a truck is no easy task.
    - How did word of the estate sale get to Garland, did he stalk them for 6 years?
    -The coincidence that Garland's parents were away from the property the same weekend as the estate sale.
    - Garland does have experience with fake IDs and evading Police from the past.
    - Grandparents has questionable business dealings over the years.

I guess I just can't come to terms that someone would kill a child as collateral damage but a small part of me wants to believe that one of the grandparents (or both) was working with Garland and is currently hiding out with the child somewhere under a fake identity... Hopefully we find out eventually. This whole case just seems surreal.

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast