Quantcast
5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by suntan
    Motherfucker needs a 50 cal through his skull.
    With the stock end...

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

To me the part that stands out is not only being twisted enough to kill the child but being twisted enough to then take a hack saw to the child's body.
    Can you imagine?

You really have to detach from humanity to cut up people... Let alone a child.

I mean, from a purely evidence destroying measure, it makes sense.... just sick as hell.

The details on the hacksaw make my skin crawl.

I truly cannot understand what would lead someone to kill anyone, let alone a CHILD and mutilate them.

This mother fucker deserves to die.

If they attempt to plea NCR on this due to mental illness I will lose the last shred of hope I had in the system.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Kloubek

Can you imagine?

You really have to detach from humanity to cut up people... Let alone a child.

I mean, from a purely evidence destroying measure, it makes sense.... just sick as hell.
    I guess the fear of getting caught outweighed basic human dignity. Too bad that he will go to PC. He would get torn apart in jail.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Majestic12

It's not just that he's "mentally ill". It's a very specific and very narrow category of mental illness that would even be put forward as a potential NCR, let alone one that would succeed.

Also, he didn't serve ANY time. He hasn't gone through the prison system at all. And if anything, NCR has the potential to be even longer than a standard prison sentence. If you never improve, you're never released from care.

In Vince Li's case, having him let out should be seen as a SUCCESS, because it means the health care system did its job properly.
    I agree on all accounts. Garland might have been able to try temporary insanity earlier on, but it would have been a tough sell. Once all this evidence was presented it would have been a no-go anyway, since it is clear he planned what he was doing and tried to cover it up. That isn't crazy. Mentally unstable, sure. But not crazy.

As far as Vince Li is concerned, I can appreciate why people find it unacceptable that he did not serve prison time as well as the fact he is going to be out. However, I would venture to guess these same people don't have a clear understanding of mental illness though, and that this guy was completely in a different world when he committed the crime. People with schizophrenia often don't have any idea what is and is not reality, and they act on what they experience.

I don't have an issue with him being freed - as long as his condition has been deemed perfectly handled, and as long as he is monitored to ensure he is taking his medication. Nobody wants to risk a repeat.

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Blood pattern expert testifying right now.

My Ride
    V167

^details are sickening

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

So it looks like the defense is going with the ambitious but rubbish "call no witnesses" strategy. I'd call that case closed.

Well I hope they're wearing pants.

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

To those which are so sickened by the details and the evidence of this trial, why are you following every tweet and gobbling up all the details? Curious to understand the rationale of why you wish to expose yourself to this or provide a market for this kind of broadcast.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by XylathaneGTR
    To those which are so sickened by the details and the evidence of this trial, why are you following every tweet and gobbling up all the details? Curious to understand the rationale of why you wish to expose yourself to this or provide a market for this kind of broadcast.
    Why do people watch horror films? Or stare at an accident when driving by? Morbid curiousity? I think it's just human nature.

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Originally posted by Stuart
    So it looks like the defense is going with the ambitious but rubbish "call no witnesses" strategy. I'd call that case closed.
    It's very common. The onus is on the Crown to prove the offence beyond a reasonable doubt. The accused doesn't have to lift a finger to prove or disprove anything, just poke holes in the Crown's case.

Well I'm not following it minute by minute, but I'm like "well it can't be THAT bad" and then it makes the Hostel movies look tame.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

It's very common. The onus is on the Crown to prove the offence beyond a reasonable doubt. The accused doesn't have to lift a finger to prove or disprove anything, just poke holes in the Crown's case.
    While that is true but I would have expected more of a pushback on the DNA evidence to at least try to put it in doubt. They did seem to go after the digital stuff pretty hard but I don't think that was unexpected (after all, "anybody" could have performed the searches and such)

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

To those which are so sickened by the details and the evidence of this trial, why are you following every tweet..
    I'm not following everything intently, but certainly pay attention when the news speaks of the crime and try to ensure I have at least most of the details otherwise. Some details are just too disturbing to bear.

For me, it isn't because I'm merely following it. I've never in my life followed a murder so intently, and for the first time ever I've taken a true sympathetic position in solidarity with the family.... even though I personally knew none of them. The fact it involves a child around the age of my own I'm sure is what made me feel this way.

I placed flowers on their lawn. I attended a tribute gathering in the park where Nathan played. I'm all in as it pertains to this case, and as such, as sickening as the details are, I need to hear them for closure of my own.

So one may ask why I, as a completely random person need closure. I just do. I have been literally sick to my stomach thinking about what happened to this little boy and need to stop thinking about it at some point. I need to know Garland will be held responsible for this crime. (As it is, given our job drive system)

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

Originally posted by Stuart

While that is true but I would have expected more of a pushback on the DNA evidence to at least try to put it in doubt. They did seem to go after the digital stuff pretty hard but I don't think that was unexpected (after all, "anybody" could have performed the searches and such)
    They did, to the extent that they could, during cross examination.

They did, to the extent that they could, during cross examination.

So whats your take?

Who is winning?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

Closing arguments from the crown look to be quite compelling so far... Wonder if the defense is holding out hope for a mistrial/appeal.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Defence Closing argument seems weak so far? I'm no lawyer but it just doesn't seem like they have much..

Most juries seem to have their minds made up well before all the evidence is heard. I suspect he'll get a harsh sentence, especially since there was a child involved, later reduced to some ridiculous amount.

Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast