Quantcast
5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home - Page 24 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: 5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home

Garland is facing 3 First Degree murder charges which mandates a 25 year sentence if convicted. I believe the 3 charges can be consecutively bound meaning he will never see the light of day. The evidence on day one is pretty damning. This POS needs to suffer in utter misery.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Kloubek

It is times like this that we truly need the death penalty.

Every time I hear about this case, I still get angry.
    Considering the death penalty is pointless, except when people want a revenge system, there are good reasons we don't have one.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by FraserB

Considering the death penalty is pointless, except when people want a revenge system, there are good reasons we don't have one.

It's a punishment for those deemed unable to be rehabilitated. Not exactly pointless.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

It's a punishment for those deemed unable to be rehabilitated. Not exactly pointless.
    It's not a deterrent to crime, costs more in the long term and depending on the crimes you apply capital sentences to, could cause more attacks to lead to death. In fact, the murder rate in non-death penalty states is lower than those with the death penalty.

The only "plus side" is that a decade or so after the trail and a bunch of appeals, a few people will feel good about the revenge the system took on an offender.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-16-2017 at 05:56 PM.

DNA found on saw and meathooks?

Oh man, I hope this doesn't give me nightmares.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You guys are getting your charges mixed up. If this was a preplanned event then it will be first degree murder.

The bus lunatic didn't plan killing anyone that day, the concrete truck driver didnt plan on running anyone over. Thats what makes the difference - as long as crown can prove intent, premeditated, motive, etc. - he will be behind bars for a long time if convicted of that.

Other than that, this guy deserves a "law abiding citizen" type of treatment.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 01:30 PM.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

A mapping plane that flew over the property also took photographs that show three bodies in the grass, according to the Crown's opening statement.
    I'm confused by this, did some random plane just happen to fly over in the few hours or maybe day or two he left the bodys out?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by JfuckinC

I'm confused by this, did some random plane just happen to fly over in the few hours or maybe day or two he left the bodys out?
    Purely random chance.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It was a company hired to photograph the area for whatever reason.

I think they had more than enough evidence as it is, but that's about as strong of circumstantial evidence I cam think of.

As far as what sentence he gets, I'll be the first to criticize the Canadian legal system for being far too light on criminals. In particular dangerous ones. But from what I can tell, there's pretty much zero chance of claiming he was insane. As such, I expect convictions and due to the heinous nature, maximum sentences.

If he was younger, I would say there was a chance he would see freedom again. But given his age, I'm almost positive he will die in jail.

As it should be. (Considering our lack of true justice in this country for such crimes)
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by FraserB
    You're telling me that if those had been YOUR grandparents, you still think this guy deserves the right to live.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

If it was my kid I would have a hell of a time not putting him in the ground myself.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by jwslam

You're telling me that if those had been YOUR grandparents, you still think this guy deserves the right to live.
    This is exactly why we have society decide the punishment and not the victims. Otherwise we would be killing people for almost any crime because if it was my grandparents anyone that cons them, robs them, yells at them does not deserve the right to live.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So the police did find the bodies? or no - i thought they had never been found. Any link to the article with these details.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Stuart
    This is exactly why we have society decide the punishment and not the victims. Otherwise we would be killing people for almost any crime because if it was my grandparents anyone that cons them, robs them, yells at them does not deserve the right to live.
    Ok - first of all, "society" is not deciding his fate. The justice system is. And I think that if you ask your average Canadian, he/she will tell you that the justice system tends to be flawed - in particular, in cases where someone was intentionally seriously scarred for life or killed. I know people who aren't even generally for the death penalty at all, but agree that this is a case where it would be appropriate.

Second, nobody is saying that it should be "open season" to do whatever you want to whoever you want for whatever reason. However, in this case, if the family had an opportunity to take this guy out, I for one would be happy to turn a blind eye, and I believe most Calgarians would feel the same - even if they generally don't support such vigilantism.

Finally, for me, if he had just killed the grandfather I would view it as any other serious crime and would be happy to have typical justice (as it is) served. The fact he killed the wife too (even though he didn't have a serious beef with her) says to me that this guy is on a higher level of dangerous - likely with some level of serious personality disorder.

But to kill the child as well? That takes it to the maximum level for me. To me this indicates he's likely a sociopath, psychopath, or both. A normal person simply *couldn't* kill an innocent child for their own gain - let alone such a petty one. Had the mother and her other son still been in the house, they probably would have been killed as well.

Garland was simply void of humanity as he went about his mission. I don't believe that level of evil can ever be rectified. So what purpose could keeping him alive possibly have for society, or even himself? He's a completely lost cause. You can take emotions completely out of it and see that he has no purpose to live. And once you factor in emotions, it is a pretty compelling case to put him down.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    So the police did find the bodies? or no - i thought they had never been found. Any link to the article with these details.
    There are no bodies left. Looks like he cut them up and burned them on this property.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-17-2017 at 11:07 AM.

My Ride
    2002 330xi, 1992 Miata, 1996 Spec Miata, 2012 Ram

Originally posted by Kloubek

Ok - first of all, "society" is not deciding his fate. The justice system is.
    I would disagree with this as the justice system is put in place by the government which is put in place by Canadian citizens AKA society. If we as a society decided that increased penalties was a high enough priority we would be supporting candidates that had this platform. It is unfortunate that even though it seems that most people agree that sentencing in Canada tends to be too light the voting public just does not view it as a high priority.

The real crappy part about all of this is that the surviving family won't feel better about the situation regardless of what might happen to the accused. For me, it wouldn't matter if he was dead or stayed in prison for the rest of his life as none of that would bring back my loved ones. The only real injustice would be the guy going free in 10 or 25 years as does happen in our system.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    Private mapping plane flew over July 1 & 2nd and took pictures clearly showing all 3 bodies. Just by a fluke. (Probably didn't even notice them among all the pics they took)
    By the time police searched the farm they were gone. But bones, a tooth and other DNA found in his burn barrel by then.

Follow @CBCMeg on Twitter. She's doing updates every 20 minutes or so.
    Also #Garland has all tweets pertaining to the trial

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Stuart

I would disagree with this as the justice system is put in place by the government which is put in place by Canadian citizens AKA society. If we as a society decided that increased penalties was a high enough priority we would be supporting candidates that had this platform.
    ...and what party had this platform in the last election? How about the one prior? Or the one prior to that?

I appreciate what you are saying, but it just doesn't work like that. Capital punishment might be the most contested idea that any political party could possibly support. Any party knows that the international outcry of a country like Canada possible "moving backwards" would kill any chance of getting elected.

Besides that, I do think the majority of Canadians don't, on a whole, support capital punishment. Because in the vast majority of serious crimes, they might stand by that decision. However, I've seen many people flip-flop on that stance as it pertains to this particular case.

Originally posted by speedog
    The real crappy part about all of this is that the surviving family won't feel better about the situation regardless of what might happen to the accused. For me, it wouldn't matter if he was dead or stayed in prison for the rest of his life as none of that would bring back my loved ones. The only real injustice would be the guy going free in 10 or 25 years as does happen in our system.
    I'm not sure if the family would or would not feel better to see this guy tortured or put down, and I'm not sure how you can say that either unless you have information that I do not. If it happened to me, I would like nothing more than to know that they were subjected to as much pain as possible to pay for their crime. In fact, it didn't happen to me and I'd still like nothing more than to know that. He deserves everything coming to him - no matter what it is.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-17-2017 at 02:12 PM.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Capital punishment may not be a deterrent...but it would cut down on repeat offenders. LOL

The one that boggles me is the news report that a lot of the break and enters recently are the result of a relatively few repeat offenders. One guy, with 300 convictions for B&E in his life, was caught on camera breaking into a house and arrested. He posted $1500 bail and was back on the street. How is an asshole like this allowed to be on the streets? The prosecutors should give him a list of judges home addresses and tell him how rich they are.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 ... LastLast