Quantcast
5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home - Page 34 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34

Thread: 5-year-old, grandparents disappear from SW home

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Dont worry, its about to get easier on them...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle34236767/
    If there isn't enough evidence to reasonably expect a conviction, why should they prosecute? As for resources, I bet they'd clear that issue up if they didn't waste prosecutor's time on speeding tickets convictions.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by civic_stylez

You know this is Canada right?? Very few people die in prison for murder here.. (see Karla Homolka) Its sad and disgusting but Canada is the land of second chances no matter what you do...
    How much does it cost to keep him in prison?

Death penalty + harvest organs.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Feruk

If there isn't enough evidence to reasonably expect a conviction, why should they prosecute?
    Your moral relativism is showing.

There is no question, for a democracy to function, ALL criminal charges should be brought before the courts.

Plea bargains are the worst, there are many documentaries, reports, and research on how plea bargains undermine the fundamental rights people deserve. The justice system needs to be properly funded, arguably, you don't get to the point of even throwing a "murder" conviction around without at minimum substantial circumstantial evidence, or the charges would never be brought in the first place. Therefore, the person charged and the public/victims have a right to a fair trial to determine what happened, if a crime was committed, and the punishment for that crime.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Originally posted by vw_rabbit2.5

Karla Homolka took a plea deal for manslaughter for 12 years in exchange for statements to use against Bernardo. Totally different conviction and situation than Garland.

What is Garland gonna trade for a plea deal? He was the sole accomplice and was found guilty.

He will die in prison.
    I hope he dies there just as much as you do but in Canadian history, there are no shortages of stories about human trash getting out early. Just google "Canada murderer set free" and the links are endless. I have no faith in the Canadian justice system. I hope Garland rots in there until his very last breath and that inmates beat him endlessly forever in there. All im saying is that, if theres one country that shows a MASSIVE amount of leniency to murderers, its Canada.
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

My Ride
    Silverado

What about countries where honor killings are permitted? Gotta have a leg up on them?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by max_boost
    Death penalty + harvest organs.
    You must not be Asian enough to believe that sometimes the transplant receivers also receive some of the donor's behaviours...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070191/d...ntence-appeal/

Calgary triple murderer Douglas Garland appealing sentence as ‘excessive and harsh’

Alberta’s top court is to hear arguments Tuesday in the sentencing appeal of a man who killed a Calgary couple and their five-year-old grandson six years ago.
    Douglas Garland was sent to prison for life with no chance of parole for 75 years after a jury found him guilty in 2017 of the first-degree murders of Nathan O’Brien, 5, and Alvin and Kathy Liknes.

Garland would have to live to the age of 129 before being eligible to apply for parole.
    At Garland’s trial, the judge said the usual automatic life sentence with a minimum of 25 years before parole eligibility needed to be increased because of aggravating factors that included Nathan’s young age and Garland not expressing remorse.

In a notice of appeal, Garland’s lawyers argue his sentence of three consecutive parole ineligibilities is “excessive and harsh” and that victim impact statements “exceeded the scope” of what’s allowed according to the Criminal Code.

The Alberta Court of Appeal rejected Garland’s appeal of his conviction last year.

The couple and the boy vanished after an estate sale at the Liknes home in Calgary on June 29, 2014. Nathan was there for a sleepover.
    Prosecutors believe the three family members were attacked at the home before being taken to the Garland farm, north of Calgary, where they were killed. Their bodies were never recovered, but bone fragments, burned flesh and teeth were found in ash from a burning barrel on the property.

The Crown had argued that Garland’s anger over a dispute about a patent for an oilfield pump that he and Alvin Liknes had worked on together had built up to the point where he meticulously plotted the killings.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Wow system worked in a way. Good on them for keeping that monster there. I agree, wasn't just a crime a passion. Dude is a psychopath.
    Cos...

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24 33 34