Quantcast
1 speeding ticket issued every 3 minutes during Deerfoot Trail crackdown - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 speeding ticket issued every 3 minutes during Deerfoot Trail crackdown

My Ride
    Grimace

Default 1 speeding ticket issued every 3 minutes during Deerfoot Trail crackdown

This story is so weird, it is almost as if the speed limits have never been adjusted to match the correct percentile of drivers

So many rediculous speeds here to begin with.

30k in residential though? Of course going slower reduces the chances of collisions, learn to drive at the obcene speed of 50 and we don't have to worry about it
    How about pedestrians pay attention and make sure drivers are aware and also that drivers are also paying attention.

A weekend crackdown on speeding on Deerfoot Trail shows the freeway is living up to its reputation as the Deerfoot 500 — and that bothers the police.

Officers wrote up 60 tickets during a three-hour control blitz this weekend. The average speeder was clocked at 125 kilometres an hour, but the fastest was pulled over for doing 157. The posted limit is 100 kilometres an hour.

Staff Sgt. Paul Stacey says they should not have to write a ticket every three minutes.

“The surprise is that we wrote that many tickets and actually it just reinforces the fact that we need to be out there doing this more often.”

“What you have is you have traffic flow that's going approximately the speed limit and then you have your one or two vehicles that are going well above that. It surprises people. People aren't accounting for that and the people that are speeding at those speeds, they also can't predict what other people are going to do and it reduces their time to react so — extremely dangerous."

Residential roads

And it's not just the freeways that are a concern.

Dale Calkins is with a group pushing for the speed limit to be reduced on residential roads from 50 to 30 kilometres an hour.

“Thirty kilometre an hour speed limits can significantly cut down on the likelihood and the severity of collisions and they really cut down on potentially fatal collisions.”

Although some members of city council are interested in the idea, Calkins says an across the board lowering of residential speeds limits would be up to the provincial government.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...down-1.2692731

Remember this video after all

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

So they pulled over 60 people in 3 hours? Or they wrote several tickets for other non speeding related things to each of the few people they did pull over?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

They stopped 51 people in 3 hours. But saying a ticket every 3 minutes sells more papers/clicks.

That cop should really learn to properly give statements as well. Also, not open his mouth about things he knows are BS, no one seriously thinks people go 100 on Deerfoot.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by FraserB
    They stopped 51 people in 3 hours. But saying a ticket every 3 minutes sells more papers/clicks.

That cop should really learn to properly give statements as well. Also, not open his mouth about things he knows are BS, no one seriously thinks people go 100 on Deerfoot.
    No shit, half the time im doing 120 in the middle lane, and im not keeping up, traffic passing me.

I don't think we will ever see a raise in speed limit tho...no money in that...plus all of the morons will just fuck it up anyways.... as usua.

“The surprise is that we wrote that many tickets and actually it just reinforces the fact that we need to be out there doing this more often.”

“What you have is you have traffic flow that's going approximately the speed limit and then you have your one or two vehicles that are going well above that. It surprises people. People aren't accounting for that and the people that are speeding at those speeds, they also can't predict what other people are going to do and it reduces their time to react so — extremely dangerous."
    I guess they should be out there more often - because if they were, they would know the avg speed on Deerfoot is 125. And usually there are two vehicles going 'well below that' at 100 or 95 and THAT is what causes problems. It surprises people when there are some morons doing the speed limit It is extremely dangerous!

Residential roads

And it's not just the freeways that are a concern.

Dale Calkins is with a group pushing for the speed limit to be reduced on residential roads from 50 to 30 kilometres an hour.

“Thirty kilometre an hour speed limits can significantly cut down on the likelihood and the severity of collisions and they really cut down on potentially fatal collisions.”
    Better yet, reduce the speed limit to 10 km/h - or ban driving in residential areas. Problem solved.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

This just confirms my thoughts that the speed limit on Deerfoot should be revisited, because I believe 100 is way too low

I wish I can find it, but I remember reading an article with a study that showed a driver on average is driving around 17 km/hr above traffics average speed for them to believe they are going at the 'flow of traffic'.

The idea that if we aren't passing cars then we feel slow. If you are going at the speed of 80 percentile then 20% of the cars on the road will pass you and you feel you are traveling slower because of this.

I really wish I'm on the Deerfoot when everyone is going 125 because I've seen it. I've seen a few cars ripping along, but they are no where near 80% of the vehicle traffic. I know when I'm going 110 I'm passing a lot of cars and often in the far inside lane because the other 2 are going slower.

Kinda like the first time I was in the GTA and everyone says that 140 is the average speed on the highways there. I was blasting along at 125 passing everyone and wondering where this mystical land of speeders was.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

I feel sooooo much safer with cps on the job
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Maybe if they stopped making residential street so narrow that two vehicles cannot pass each other if there are cars parked, or eliminated street parking on streets with rear laned homes that would also solve the whole collisions in residential areas problem.

But what do I know.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Lol media.

My Ride
    ATS4

Default Re: 1 speeding ticket issued every 3 minutes during Deerfoot Trail crackdown

Originally posted by schocker
    This story is so weird, it is almost as if the speed limits have never been adjusted to match the correct percentile of drivers

So many rediculous speeds here to begin with.

30k in residential though? Of course going slower reduces the chances of collisions, learn to drive at the obcene speed of 50 and we don't have to worry about it
    How about pedestrians pay attention and make sure drivers are aware and also that drivers are also paying attention.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...down-1.2692731

Remember this video after all
    It's too easy to get a license in Canada, therefore more than half of people them are idiots.

Most Calgarians should not even be on the road, so I am fine with the limit. In fact it should be lower. Get caught @ 30 over posted and you should have an instant 1 year suspension.

If you are stupid enough to get caught it means you don't pay attention when you drive.
    nanu nanu!

My Ride
    Grimace

I do drive 5th ave nw every morning on the way to work which is one of the 40 km/h zones, and it is probably one of the widest and has the most visbility out of any residential street I have ever driven

Originally posted by Nitro5
    I wish I can find it, but I remember reading an article with a study that showed a driver on average is driving around 17 km/hr above traffics average speed for them to believe they are going at the 'flow of traffic'.

The idea that if we aren't passing cars then we feel slow. If you are going at the speed of 80 percentile then 20% of the cars on the road will pass you and you feel you are traveling slower because of this.

I really wish I'm on the Deerfoot when everyone is going 125 because I've seen it. I've seen a few cars ripping along, but they are no where near 80% of the vehicle traffic. I know when I'm going 110 I'm passing a lot of cars and often in the far inside lane because the other 2 are going slower.

Kinda like the first time I was in the GTA and everyone says that 140 is the average speed on the highways there. I was blasting along at 125 passing everyone and wondering where this mystical land of speeders was.
    SB Deerfoot south of 17th Ave, in the morning time between 6am and 8am, majority of people driving approx 120. That is just one scenario.

Did anyone else notice that Dale Calkins, the man who "is with a group pushing for the speed limit to be reduced on residential roads from 50 to 30 kilometres an hour" is also a Director with Bike Calgary?

Imagine that: a pro-bicycle advocate wants to reduce the speed at which automobiles travel. And if he/they are successful in lowering speed limits, then they'll point to the increased emissions from the longer automobile commute times as a justification for further restricting automobiles in the city.

My Ride
    Grimace

My favorite from the 30 for sunnyside website is this:
    Perhaps in the future, a 30 km/h limit can be extended onto 10th Street, to improve the safety and vibrancy of the popular Kensington pedestrian area.
    It is not like there aren't lit pedestrian crossings allllllllllllll over sunnyside. I take 10th every day and 30 would just brighten up every day. Can't drive so fast through all that vibrancy.
    We need to make some websites 110forstoneytrail, 90forcrowchild etc.

My Ride
    Horse

I saw that article. It makes me hurt inside. 120 km/h is slow on Deerfoot. I just did it coming home. Got passed by a lot of traffic.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by raceman6135
    Did anyone else notice that Dale Calkins, the man who "is with a group pushing for the speed limit to be reduced on residential roads from 50 to 30 kilometres an hour" is also a Director with Bike Calgary?

Imagine that: a pro-bicycle advocate wants to reduce the speed at which automobiles travel. And if he/they are successful in lowering speed limits, then they'll point to the increased emissions from the longer automobile commute times as a justification for further restricting automobiles in the city.
    Good catch. You should read their Twitter page, it'll make you gag.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Horse

Seriously... WTF is this shit? Also, Codetrap, leave my ride alone.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How many fatal collisions are there each year in residential 50 zones? 3-4 at maximum? (just guessing here)

I'd bet at least half of those are caused by drunk driving too

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast