Quantcast
Mount Pleasant and area - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mount Pleasant and area

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

^^ i've lived in mount pleasant for over 6 years. never heard of any halfway houses or addiction centres in the area. I could be wrong though.

you get the occasional homeless people going through your recycling bin in the alleys... but that's about it. I see the same black guy with a wheel barrow rolling through my alley every week. he doesn't cause any problems, and minds his own business.

great neighbourhood, lots of new families moving into the community. close to downtown, and confederation park.

I would try to stay a couple blocks away from 16 ave, 4st and 20ave... as those are the busiest streets in the area.

My Ride
    V8s

@OP:
    I bought a condo almost exactly like this (albeit built in '07 so not quite as contemporary), and mine is located in Tuxedo. If I had the budget, I would have bought in the NW, but I'd have a pretty hard time stomaching a 600k condo (somehow it was a lot easier to spend <500k on one of these). The location is fantastic, and as long as you're in a unit that doesn't face 16ave, road noise won't be an issue. I'm in a front unit, facing north and the traffic is significantly quieter than when I used to live on 18ave SW (just for reference).

If Strider was right and you could get a gently used infill for that much, that's what I'd be in right now - unfortunately it's not 2010 anymore and shit's expensive. I'd love nothing more than to not have to share my garage and yard, but I don't want to be in a fixer-upper. For ~600k, anywhere in the remote area you're shopping in will only get you a condo or fixer-upper. Gently used (which is what I view my place as), you're looking to spend more than that, even for a duplex.

Originally posted by killramos

*snip*

That being said the place you showed looks fantastic and really good value. I would jut work really hard to stay on top of the strata finances with the 174 a month. That's a lot of money to shovel snow and mow grass...
    RE: Strata fees - insurance is also covered in there, so you just need to maintain condo insurance to cover your belongings. Additionally that 174/mo will go into a reserve fund for all exterior maintenance. It's actually not a bad deal at all.

Having said that, you'll probably wind up paying more than that in the next couple years. For reference, I pay 180/mo but we cut our own grass.

OP If you have any particular questions you can pm me. Might be able to provide some useful info, given I'm living in pretty much what you're looking at getting.

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

What are peoples thoughts on the area west of Mt. Pleasant.

Looking at Capitol Hill , on 20th ave NW, WEST of 16th Street NW there are a lot of infills happening there.

Can i assume 20th Ave is similarly just as busy, like 24th ave north of it ?

Anyone lived in this area here?
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    B8 Avant S-line

20 Ave is busy from Edmonton Trail to 19 St.

I think between 19st and 16st it's not AS bad... but it's still a major road.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

20th ave is easily as busy as 24th on that block. Very major "shortcut" for people like me who avoid 16th ave.

I counted, and when I'm going westbound, I have 7 fewer sets of traffic lights on taking 20th to 19th compared to taking 16th.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    WRX LTD / Civic Si /RAV4

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    20th ave is easily as busy as 24th on that block. Very major &quot;shortcut&quot; for people like me who avoid 16th ave.

I counted, and when I'm going westbound, I have 7 fewer sets of traffic lights on taking 20th to 19th compared to taking 16th.
    Ok , so during weekday rush hour periods it would be busy. I see there is a bus route #10 that goes through there as well that routes through downtown.

Anyone who lives in the area can comment as well ? evenings an dweekend i assume its much quieter.

worthwhile to pay more and live one block north/south?
    --For SALE or Trade--

iPhones
    Maui Jim Sunglasses

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Traffic is steady on 20th all weekend as well. Not terrible by any means, but very steady. No real quiet periods, even weekday daytimes.

Myself, I wouldn't want to live on 20th. I wouldn't even consider it. All of these areas with grid streets, you will get some cut-through traffic, but the main roads like 20th as 10x worse.

Some people don't mind the traffic, I guess that's a personal thing.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    20th ave is easily as busy as 24th on that block. Very major &quot;shortcut&quot; for people like me who avoid 16th ave.

Do the same exact thing when taking the daughter over to the UofC for wrestling practices.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

There used to be a speed on green on 20th ave and 4th st nw, I know cause my sister got nailed by it coming to hang out one day lol. Not sure if it's there anymore tho.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Originally posted by deee_wreck

Ok , so during weekday rush hour periods it would be busy. I see there is a bus route #10 that goes through there as well that routes through downtown.

Anyone who lives in the area can comment as well ? evenings an dweekend i assume its much quieter.

worthwhile to pay more and live one block north/south?
    Two blocks north or south would be much more ideal. Another hint if you're going to look in Mount Pleasant, 26th Avenue is another major shortcut route for those in the know because it has a firehall on it at 4th Street NW and it's clear sailing all the way to 6th Street NE with the exception of stop signs at Centre and Edmonton Trail.

What you really want is a lot/home on the south side of 24th Avenue between 4th and 9th Streets NW because they're all extra deep lots, probably close to 50% deeper than all other regular north or south facing lots in Mount Pleasant.

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    There used to be a speed on green on 20th ave and 4th st nw, I know cause my sister got nailed by it coming to hang out one day lol. Not sure if it's there anymore tho.
    20th and Centre NB there's one but don't ever recall one on 4th and 20th.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

A few experience to share:

4th street 17 ave:
    - My friend used to live in an infill there for a few years. Road noise is okay, but it's across from the affordable housing on 3rd and 17ave. He loved the location though and only moved because he needed a bigger house. He said he might consider moving back to Mount Pleasant if/when they can afford to buy a bigger house there.

10th street and 18 ave:
    - This is my current house and I've been here for ~ 10 months now. Single Detached home on a 36' lot.
    - Location is great! 2 mins walk to Earls and Starbucks, 5 mins walk to confederation park, 3-5 min drive to kensington, Crescent Road, downtown, etc. 5 mins to get onto Crowchild or John Laurie.
    - 20 ave is very busy. I would avoid buying there simple due to the amount of dust from the traffic.
    - Road noise is okay. I'm ~ 4 houses in from 10th and I can hear the traffic, but I also grew up in a big city ( Hong Kong) so I actual like/prefer the noises.
    - Parking sometimes is an issue for me if I want to do street parking as alot of people come park their car for SAITs, but the parking officers are quite active so ticketing those people.
    - Alot of duplexes popping up around but they are going for $725K+ so not a cheap area. A new single detached home is >$1M.
    - No issues with the traffic. I work on Edm Trail and Memorial and its always 10-15 min drive to and from work during rush hour.

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Great information and thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I ended up buying it but rescinding my offer during the 10 day period when meeting with the builder. I'll be purchasing their next project instead, which is also in Mount Pleasant (can't remember the exact location). Reason being is that I'm getting in from the beginning and have the ability for full customization in the unit - which is great!

Can't wait to be a part of the neighborhood. Lot's of glowing reviews here.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I was looking at those exact units before!! seen a couple of their past projects...like their style. very modern..and that's exactly what I like. but yea..at that price..i'd rather be living in a duplex. heard the area is nice too..wonder if there are any decent priced duplexes in that area

My Ride
    TRD Pro

My Mother in Law lives a few blocks up from SAIT and has her car broken into at least once a year parked in front of her house.. sounds like the area is a bit more 'inner city' than most think.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by R-Audi
    My Mother in Law lives a few blocks up from SAIT and has her car broken into at least once a year parked in front of her house.. sounds like the area is a bit more 'inner city' than most think.
    Anywhere near a post secondary school is probably at risk for a higher volume of petty crimes like theft of vandalism I'd think? Lots of college kids leaving mp3 players and other electronics in their cars makes the area more of a target.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Certainly true... but worth keeping in mind for the area.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I don't see living near half way houses or low income housing as being big deals.

Most people in those situations are no more likely to go on huge crime sprees than the rest of the population, they are the ones seeking help.

Sure you might see some people not dressed as nice as the rest of your neighbors, but who cares?

I've never lived by one, but I used to walk by one on a daily basis and everyone pretty much kept to themselves.

My parents have a troubled teen foster house or something like that by their place in Rocky Ridge, and it's car break in central

I think I'd rather live near adults that have chosen to seek help and seek change than kids that are forced into it.

My Ride
    Volvo

Originally posted by speedog

Do the same exact thing when taking the daughter over to the UofC for wrestling practices.
    bah, 20th ave is not the great time-saver shortcut it used to be. The way they've got the Centre St light timed now, it goes yellow then red for more than 3 mins as soon as it doesn't sense a car in or right near the intersection. 4th St - crappy light timing. Edmonton Trail intersection, crappy light timing.

I hardly ever use 20 Ave anymore, I use 16th now. 3 lanes and no long wait times at the lights for the most part.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by whydontchathen

bah, 20th ave is not the great time-saver shortcut it used to be. The way they've got the Centre St light timed now, it goes yellow then red for more than 3 mins as soon as it doesn't sense a car in or right near the intersection. 4th St - crappy light timing. Edmonton Trail intersection, crappy light timing.

I hardly ever use 20 Ave anymore, I use 16th now. 3 lanes and no long wait times at the lights for the most part.
    If 16th isn't busy, that's not bad, but there are seven or eight more sets of lights, so if you have to stop at them, it suuucks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast