Quantcast
help me choose a area! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: help me choose a area!

Default help me choose a area!

Hello beyond,

I am currently looking to purchase my first home.

Areas I'mlooking at is Chaparral Valley, Walden, and Legacy.
    I have found a floor plan that i love to go on a lot in Chaparral Valley, that is not offered in Walden or legacy, its about $20000 cheaper than Walden.

For Walden, basically same option, don't care about floor 5lan, but don't hate it. Talking to the sales rep, it would bring most financial gain after all said and done after community is completed.

what do u rrecommand ? Chaparral Valley or Walden?
    Last edited by tktwhiz; 07-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.

I don't know a ton about either area in terms of amenities, but IMO the access in and out of Chap Valley sucks. Granted its not a huge community but there is really only one road. Its also a larger hill so could be dodgy in the winter.

Besides price and the details of your lot selection, it seems like it would really come down to what will be in walking distance of your home. Both communities are close to the same things via car. Either one will have you waiting a few years at least for things like shops, playgrounds, and schools to be built (unless they exist already of course...)

I wouldn't give too much weight to the sales rep's opinion of future value. They are pretty motivated to tell you whatever will get you to buy.

My last thought is for first time buyers, often times you don't really know what you want in a home. Unless you have rented a bunch and have a good idea of what floorplans would fit your lifestyle, I would tend towards keeping things simpler and cheaper.

basic run down is like

chap valley 1800sqf double attached garage walkout and open concept i love. $525k

walden 2100 sqf double attached garage, walkout cal-de-sac pie lot, and more traditional homes... $545k

just curious to see which area has more potential investment wise?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

The cons with CV are A) only one road in & out and B) I don't think there will ever be any businesses down there like a gas station / convenience store. That means EVERY time you want something you'll have to get in the car. Walden on the other hand already has that taken care of.

Do you get lake access down in CV? If so, then that would be enough to tip the deal for me. Even if you personally have no use for that, come resale time it's gold. If there is no lake access though I would go back up to Walden (not Legacy, whole other conversation) and keep pushing the builders to change the floor plan to what you want down in the Valley. Which builders are you looking at down in the Valley versus Walden?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Walden. Not too far away from all the other local amenities in the shawnessy/somerset area. Don't even consider legacy lol fuck that place is literally in the middle of nowhere haha

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

I don't know either area well but based on your description of both and the lots I'd say go Walden. Cul-de-sac and pie lot are hard to find and are so awsome! No traffic!! Also sounds like the better choice for ammenities close by without haveing to drive.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The price difference is probably almost all because of a cul-de-sac pie lot. Maybe someone else can speak to it but I bet that lot is a $15k upgrade by itself.

Originally posted by 88CRX
    The price difference is probably almost all because of a cul-de-sac pie lot. Maybe someone else can speak to it but I bet that lot is a $15k upgrade by itself.
    When we looked about 18 months ago, starter home pie lot in Auburn Bay was a $7K premium. I think this was on a side road, not cul-de-sac.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

What are your priorities with respect to location? Proximity to schools, services, work, etc?

My advice would be to buy the location that makes the most sense for your lifestyle. Both areas are nice and will certainly appreciate in value over time.

None of the above.

Do you work downtown? if so go take a drive in the morning from there into downtown and realize you mine as well be living in Airdrie or Cochrane with how retarded the commute is. I am surprised they call that Calgary.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Type_S1
    I am surprised they call that Calgary.
    Until recently, I thought Walden wasn't in Calgary

I don't work DT
    I work up north so my commute is only to the air port once a week, so i m not tied up to live anywhere close to DT.

Recently found out that 135kv transmission line would be passing along stony just north of CV. I think I'll pass that.

Walden is too expensive and I would be house poor for couple years and I don't think I would like to be in that position...

Ahhhh the joy of house shopping..... I had enough for a while lol

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Is there a reason you are only considering new builds? There are a few houses in Chaparral for sale that seem to fit your criteria. I would choose Lake Chaparral over the Valley for the simple reason of lake access. If you have kids, having access to the lake is a huge asset I would think.

Also what about other communities nearby such as Silverado or Cranston?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

300 square yards!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Haha I guess for me lake access is not a big deal... I would probably never use it anyway and I don't want kids.

I have looked at a few resale homes but nothing really had caught my eyes. And all resale homes have premiums on its prices.

My Ride
    Is angry...

If you're looking for future gains on the house investment wise and like the area, check out Auburn Bay or Mahogany. Newer communities closer to the new hospital, Lake access and close to Stony as well.

I am currently in Mahogany and move to Cranston Riverstone at the end of the month. It breaks my heart because it's a great community and I'll miss the lake for sure. I'll be living in the river valley and being a fly fishing fanatic, it's not a bad trade off I guess, only moving so my kids can go to the school their friends are going to...

They're projecting an instant 40% increase in value for Mahogany as soon as the hospital opens fully and more increase as the community grows. It'll be Calgary's largest man made lake when it's done and Mahogany will be Calgary's largest community as well.

Auburn Bay is a great community as well and a little less expensive than Mahogany.

Be careful when assuming you'll get lake access in Chaparral because it may not be the case, this is the same for other older lake communities as well.

Just my two cents...

Originally posted by Freedom69
    They're projecting an instant 40% increase in value for Mahogany as soon as the hospital opens fully and more increase as the community grows.
    I literally laugh out loud when I read these kinds of statements. You really think a 400k house is going to become a 560k "instantly" when the hospital is fully open? "They" are salesmen.

As far as new communities go, I don't think a place like Walden or Legacy are that bad, they are both under 10 minutes from Somerset station, meaning it's better than any new community east of the Bow (Cranston, Auburn Bay, Mahogany, etc...)

My Ride
    Is angry...

Originally posted by JamMan23

I literally laugh out loud when I read these kinds of statements. You really think a 400k house is going to become a 560k "instantly" when the hospital is fully open? "They" are salesmen.

As far as new communities go, I don't think a place like Walden or Legacy are that bad, they are both under 10 minutes from Somerset station, meaning it's better than any new community east of the Bow (Cranston, Auburn Bay, Mahogany, etc...)
    Laugh away buddy...

I bought my house 2 and a half years ago for $470000 and just sold it for $589000 and the hospital only partially opened. I was just giving an option, but thanks for your opinion...

The value went up cause about 3 years ago real estate was much softer. I bought my place for 550 and its worth 700k now. Has nothing to do with a hospital.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast