Quantcast
help me choose a area! - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: help me choose a area!

Originally posted by Freedom69

Laugh away buddy...

I bought my house 2 and a half years ago for $470000 and just sold it for $589000 and the hospital only partially opened. I was just giving an option, but thanks for your opinion...
    Yeah but you now have to buy another place and it's probably gonna cost a lot more than the $470k you paid 2.5 years ago for the place you just sold.

Mahogany is a nice community though, the lake there is awesome.

My Ride
    Is angry...

Originally posted by J.M.

Yeah but you now have to buy another place and it's probably gonna cost a lot more than the $470k you paid 2.5 years ago for the place you just sold.

Mahogany is a nice community though, the lake there is awesome.
    Indeed I did pay a lot more for the new house I move into at the end of the month, but it's on the river and wasn't affected by last years floods due to great planning by the developer. The house is not in the same class as the current house, it's a definite move up I guess so it's not an accurate comparison.

Again, investment is always in the back of my mind and the fact there is only a total of 1100 lots available, value will increase when that last lot sells.

For the guy that said the hospital had nothing to do with the increase on the House in Mahogany, that statement is incorrect. 8500 jobs to be had at the Hospital itself so living in a community like Mahogany, Auburn Bay or Cranston is very appealing so of course it would add value to the communities close by.

Throw in the associated businesses, retail and other opportunities that will come because of the hospital and that will also add value by default.

Of course you have the right to your opinion.

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

For the guy that said the hospital had nothing to do with the increase on the House in Mahogany, that statement is incorrect. 8500 jobs to be had at the Hospital itself so living in a community like Mahogany, Auburn Bay or Cranston is very appealing so of course it would add value to the communities close by.
    The properties will definitely increase in value because of the hospital, but not by 40%.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

If I have kids, I'd choose to live in Chaparral, Cranston, or Auburn Bay because there are schools there already or soon-to-be (Auburn Bay).

My Ride
    Is angry...

Originally posted by Civic_Drift
    If I have kids, I'd choose to live in Chaparral, Cranston, or Auburn Bay because there are schools there already or soon-to-be (Auburn Bay).
    Agreed, and one of the reasons for the move for me. Great point.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Originally posted by tktwhiz
    Haha I guess for me lake access is not a big deal... I would probably never use it anyway and I don't want kids.

I have looked at a few resale homes but nothing really had caught my eyes. And all resale homes have premiums on its prices.
    I am not sure if I am right or not, but don't new houses typically depreciate instantly, the same way new cars depreciate once they are driven off the lot? I may be completely off here, but I thought that I heard/read that somewhere.

Not sure how old you are, but even for adults having lake access is pretty awesome and underrated. Ill stop trying to sell you on lake access now.

If you don't have kids and aren't planning on having any, do you really need a 2000 sqft house? Just a thought to consider. You mention not wanting to be house poor, and seems like you can afford the price you are looking at but from a necessity standpoint that seems like a lot of wasted house. Have you considered the new townhouse builds in the communities you are looking in?

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Originally posted by leftwing

I am not sure if I am right or not, but don't new houses typically depreciate instantly, the same way new cars depreciate once they are driven off the lot? I may be completely off here, but I thought that I heard/read that somewhere.
    That's the first I've ever heard that. Many people don't have the patience or flexibility to wait 'x' months for a property to be built so they'll pay the premium for a move in ready.

Chaparral Valley and Riverstone of Cranston are both built within the flood fringe. Wouldn't this cause negative impact to future value of these communities?

Walden is built on a closed landfill with a lot smaller units for younger/poorer families. Legacy, although now it is at middle of nowhere, however it started as a up-scaled community with expensive estate homes, I would choose Legacy over Walden.

Auburn Bay and Mahogany, both would cost you $500+ to $800+ in annual community fees for a couple month of lake access in summer. (I assumed most ppl would rather stay home in winter)
    Last edited by oz388; 07-16-2014 at 03:01 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Hearing the name Walden always makes me think of a mixture of Compton and Watts.
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by oz388
    Chaparral Valley and Riverstone of Cranston are both built within the flood fringe. Wouldn't this cause negative impact to future value of these communities?

Walden is built on a closed landfill with a lot smaller units for younger/poorer families. Legacy, although now it is at middle of nowhere, however it started as a up-scaled community with expensive estate homes, I would choose Legacy over Walden.
    When you go to the sales center for Riverstone or Chap Valley you hear "We've done X Y Z making it impossible to flood!" as well as "It didn't flood in 2013 at all!". I think that probably calms most people. We'll see how "impossible" it is in 10 years...

I don't see the landfill as a big deal, I never smell anything, my problem is that they say it will become "parks and paths", but I see it being a big barren hill for a long time...

That whole area will feel sort of "middle-of-nowherey" for a while, there is a big mall planned in between Walden and Legacy, when that is built out (10-15 years) people will forget it was ever on the edge of the city (like any other development).

My Ride
    Is angry...

Auburn Bay and Mahogany, both would cost you $500+ to $800+ in annual community fees for a couple month of lake access in summer. (I assumed most ppl would rather stay home in winter)
    The Developer designed Chaparral Valley and Riverstone of Cranston with potential flooding in mind. Both made it through the flood of a million years unscathed last year. Being that I was considering buying in Riverstone, I went down and watched very closely and after seeing what I saw at the peak of the flood, I decided to buy.

Mahogany, where I've lived the last few years is an all year community as far as the lake goes with skating in the Winter. This is Canada, so if people live here and would rather stay home in the Winter, they should look to live elsewhere...
    Auburn Bay is the same...
    Mahogany Annual Dues are under $400 and it's worth at least double that in my opinion.

I really don't care if someone is interested in the communities I mentioned, I was simply giving options based on what I know from experience.

It might help the OP if everyone would do that instead of speculating on what they think, rather than known facts and numbers...

Just my two cents.

Mahogany, where I've lived the last few years is an all year community as far as the lake goes with skating in the Winter. This is Canada, so if people live here and would rather stay home in the Winter, they should look to live elsewhere...
    Auburn Bay is the same...
    Mahogany Annual Dues are under $400 and it's worth at least double that in my opinion.
    Lakes are overrated in Calgary, you're basically paying for a skating rink most the year. The HOA fees are such a good "deal" because a lot of residents don't even use the thing, like a company health insurance policy. Half the people are subsidizing it for the other half.

Originally posted by JamMan23

Lakes are overrated in Calgary, you're basically paying for a skating rink most the year. The HOA fees are such a good "deal" because a lot of residents don't even use the thing, like a company health insurance policy. Half the people are subsidizing it for the other half.
    There will always be people buying homes in areas with lakes no matter what

My Ride
    Is angry...

Originally posted by JamMan23

It's very obvious you've never lived in a lake community, and for some reason you've chosen to side track this thread with your opinions on them...

To each their own.

Default Re: help me choose a area!

Originally posted by tktwhiz
    Hello beyond,

I am currently looking to purchase my first home.

Areas I'mlooking at is Chaparral Valley, Walden, and Legacy.
    I have found a floor plan that i love to go on a lot in Chaparral Valley, that is not offered in Walden or legacy, its about $20000 cheaper than Walden.

I've been looking to build a new house in deep south of Calgary as well and spent quite awhile time researching builders, lots, communities. My pick for your 3 options are:

1. Legacy - (still in early development stage meaning you can get in cheap with the newest designs from builders, and it has great potential to be a luxury community just looking at the amount of Estate homes they are planing to build there.)
    2. Chap Valley - (since u've found the lot and floor plan that u loved and is $20000 cheaper than else where; these r good reasons, however do consider Heavy Fog, Highway Noise, Limited Road Access issues.)
    3. Walden - (I won't consider a landfill community therefore I don't know Walden enough)

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Walden is NOT built on a closed landfill. There is a now closed landfill ADJACENT to Walden that is set to become soccer fields / green space at some point.

Are you sure about the community fees in Auburn Bay & Mahogany? We're in Lake Chaparral and our annual fees are only ~$350. I think it's close to that in Cranston and they don't have a damn lake.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Someone else already posted and I can confirm the HOA fees for Mahogany are in the $400 range per year.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Are you sure about the community fees in Auburn Bay & Mahogany? We're in Lake Chaparral and our annual fees are only ~$350. I think it's close to that in Cranston and they don't have a damn lake.
    Auburn Bay
    Annual fees for 2014-15 are:
    Standard - $435.52
    Lake Access - $598.85
    Lake Shore - $871.03

I live in Cranston and I pay $165 a year.

All three communities are great choices if you are looking down south and really comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. I think its also important to think about what builder you are using as well. Which one did you have in mind?

i was thinking cardel, put deposite down and found out about the planned 138kv transmission line.... and i said no..

haha maybe ill wait little bit until markets little better for the buyers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast